Author Topic: Topping lift for BayRaider 20  (Read 12026 times)

Colin Morley

Topping lift for BayRaider 20
« on: 06 Mar 2011, 09:11 »
Does anyone have experience of fitting a topping lift to their bayRaider 20. I have just bought a new one - Matts demonstrator, and am personalising it. With all the family on board, the boom and sails get int the way until they are hoisted or after they are lowered. It just seemed to me that a topping lift would help a lot to keep the boom out of the way, be useful for when trying to fit the outhaul, holding the sail, lifting the boom and fitting the shackle can be a pain, and finally for scandalising the main. What do you think? If you have done it, how have you fitted it?

Best wishes Colin
BayRaider James Caird
Colin
BR James Caird

Peter Cockerton

Re: Topping lift for BayRaider 20
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2011, 21:29 »
Colin

I simply used a threaded bolt with an eye on one end and used a existing hole which was originally drilled through the end of the boom for the clew outhaul arrangement which i changed the from the original design. Topping lift with cleat on the end to attach to eye, leading through a small block attached to spreader and then down to a new cleat screwed to mast.

My Bayraider is not gunter rigged, it's a full length hollowed wood mast with a groove for the luff cord however the height of the spreader should not be significantly different to stop this simple arrangement from working.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2011, 08:51 »
I think this might also assist with Claus's harbour furling idea, by helping to hold upright a heavy wooden boom while you try to wind it round a flapping mainsail.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Craic

« Reply #3 on: 07 Mar 2011, 20:57 »
Colin,
I never missed a topping lift on the BR. Maybe I missed something, but I doubt it.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2011, 16:44 »
I have now fitted a topping lift and can confirm that it helps with harbour furling (helping to hold aloft the heavy wooden boom while furling the mainsail).  Also, the other end can be wrapped around the furled sail to banish sail flapping misery (almost).  Oh yes, and it also works for its original purpose of scandalising the mainsail, as an alternative to dropping it messily into the cockpit. 

I have not tried this yet but if attached to the jaws, it might also help with raising the topmast in the first place - I find the last foot or so is difficult to raise as the jaws clamp tenaciously on to the mainmast and could do with some encouragement.  So far, I have managed by poking it with a boathook from underneath, which is not very elegant.
Graham

Colin Morley

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2011, 15:53 »
Hi Graham,

If your jaws are sticking I suggest this is because the rope at the back with the Black bobbles on is a little too tight. It might be worth loosening a little. It does not matter if it is loose as long as it is not so loose the jaws can jump off the mast.

Best wishes

Colin

I have now fitted a topping lift and can confirm that it helps with harbour furling (helping to hold aloft the heavy wooden boom while furling the mainsail).  Also, the other end can be wrapped around the furled sail to banish sail flapping misery (almost).  Oh yes, and it also works for its original purpose of scandalising the mainsail, as an alternative to dropping it messily into the cockpit. 

I have not tried this yet but if attached to the jaws, it might also help with raising the topmast in the first place - I find the last foot or so is difficult to raise as the jaws clamp tenaciously on to the mainmast and could do with some encouragement.  So far, I have managed by poking it with a boathook from underneath, which is not very elegant.
Colin
BR James Caird

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2011, 16:31 »
Thanks Colin.  Not only was the strop too tight, it was also too short to adjust.  New longer and looser strop installed!

Graham
Graham

Colin Morley

« Reply #7 on: 04 Aug 2013, 10:49 »
I have been experimenting with a better system for a toping lift.
This is the best I can do.
As others have said a double topping lift is the best.
I have a long rope with one end fixed to the far side of the boom with a small "deck eye".
I use a white rope so it does not show up against the sail. This goes up the the top of the mast and over a small cheek block on the side of the mask.
This then goes down in a long loop to about the bottom of the mast and up on the other side of the mast and through a second cheek block.
The loose end then goes down to the other side of the boom from the first end and fixes to another deck eye.
Fix a cleat on the side of the mast at a convenient position so the loop can be hooked over it.
With the mast raised and the boom in position and about horizontal, in a position that suits you, carefully adjust the toping lift length so that the loop near the lower part of the mast can be hooked over the new cleat. This now means that when the topping lift loop is over the cleat the boom, and also the gaff will be in the correct position.
Tie a single piece of rope to the bottom of the loop so when the loop is taken off the cleat to loosen the toping lift for sailing it can be pulled to bring the toping lift into operation and automatically set the boom in position.
I have the lower end of that rope tied to the cleat so i dont loose it all up the mast.
I have quite a long bit of rope for this so that when the boom and gaff are put in the bottom of the boat it is still long enough to keep in position. Also with a long bit the mooring cover can be put in position with the topping lift hoist brought back to the mast and not taken off
Colin
BR James Caird