Author Topic: Attention all BR cockpit tenters  (Read 14980 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Attention all BR cockpit tenters
« on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:19 »
Speaking to Matt about my mast overboard incident, I also mentioned to him my researches on cockpit tents for a Bayraider.  I have been quoted variously £900 to £1,900 for a bespoke tent.  A very good camping shop tunnel tent which might or might not fit the cockpit with a bit of jiggering about would cost £120 and downwards.

Matt apparently now has the software wherewithal to measure out the panels for a tailored Bayraider tent, which he thinks might cost somewhere in the region of £300-£400.  More than the jiggered about tunnel tent but a lot less than the other bespoke solutions.  I for one would be very keen on a tent at this price and to encourage him to set mouse to computer, anyone else who is interested should register here!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Andy Thompson

Re: Attention all BR cockpit tenters
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2011, 14:15 »
Hi Graham,

I've been looking at cockpit tents and this seems like a good idea I certainly would be interested

Andy

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2011, 15:08 »
Andy,

I have said to Matt that I think the tent should look as follows:
* Should not be full length or very high (too heavy and too much windage).  If it terminates just aft of the cockpit lockers (so that they can still be opened), that would be fine with me.  It then only needs one rear access rather than access each side.  I have seen some tents for Drascombes that look bigger than the boats themselves - I would not want to be inside one in a blow
* Multi-piece fibreglass hoops would be the best support(s) - similar to the ones used to unblock drains.  But slotted in to what?
* A small vinyl window each side, which can be covered over to block out the light would be good.
* Should zip on to the sprayhood
* Attached by bungee cords to the existing pegs on the rubbing strake that have been installed for the mooring cover
* Some means of blocking out the light in the sprayhood windows would also be good (use canvas and velcro?)

Any other suggestions?

Graham
Graham

Colin Morley

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2011, 19:07 »
Yes I would be interested in this... I think! Does it come with a comfortable interior sprung mattress?
Colin BR James Caird
Colin
BR James Caird

Tony

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2011, 11:38 »
Andy,

Any other suggestions?

Graham

Arranged so that one side of the tent can be rolled up giving a view one side and privacy/shelter on the other.
With both sides rolled up acts as a sun awning. Not needed in UK!

Note - the fabric needs strong attachment points to the frame if a windward-facing part of the tent is open. Suggest taped seams and velcro.

For a very cheap or spur-of-the-moment tent, lash a tarp over the spray hood with shock cord, lace the sides to the rubbing strake (outboard to keep rain off the cockpit seats) Dont use the eyelets to fix the ridge to the mizzen, they just pull out, use the method shown below. Free swinging at anchor this lash-up will stand up to a gale but not if the wind gets around the stern

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr 2011, 15:55 »
I have also been thinking about what a BR tent should look like.

To disagree with Graham, I'd go for full length. The reason being, that with 2 of you sleeping in the bow, the boat will probably be down by the bow. With a part length tent as graham describes, there is potential for rainwater to flow forward along the seats and floor under the tent and into the sleeping area

Anthony

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2011, 19:35 »
Won't the gaps in the cockpit lockers stop it from flowing along the seats?  But you may have a point about the floor.

Graham
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2011, 18:06 »
As an interim measure while I wait for a bespoke solution to appear that will not break the bank, I have found something called the MSR Gear Shed.  This is intended as an annex to one of MSR's range of lightweight hiking tents.  By coincidence, it also fits neatly on the back of the spray hood, as in the picture below.

It only has one side door and getting out at the rear involves an undignified scramble along the cockpit sole (see below).  Midges and mosquitoes can do this in reverse, so it is not a perfect solution but for £97.50 delivered, I am not complaining.  http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/product.aspx?id=5777&categoryid=514
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2012, 18:30 »
Hi Jeff,

I can't reply to a pm for some reason, so here is a public version.

The Gear Shed extension fits easily. It is not perfect (a bit flimsy) and is really only a temporary solution for me until Matt comes up with something better (and probably a lot more expensive).

Graham
Graham

Jeff Curtis

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2012, 12:03 »
Thanks Graham. I may well give it a go. I only need something for very occasional use and the fact it packs down very small is a positive advantage for me, even if it is a bit flimsy. On my wooden BayRaider I never have enough room to store my usual sailing kit let alone all one needs for serious camping. Especially as the lockers, unlike yours, are not dry.

Jeff

Tim Riley

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2012, 13:19 »
Last summer I made a tent by modifying one for a drascombe from ebay. It ended up very similar to the gear shed version but goes all the way back to the mizzen. We used it for 10 days on Louch Corrib in Ireland including some truly miserable weather with one day confined to the tent. Now thinking of improvements...
The height needs to be higher than the spray hood if you intend longer confinements as you need to stoop a little when sitting on the sides and you cant lean back.
Colour - ours is fairly dark material - very heavy duty like sprayhood but ends up dark inside so frustrating when you are spending days on end waiting for that storm to pass.
Yes you have to be carefull of water running back down the sides but in our case only gets as far as the side hatches before going down to the floor.
Ideally you need to create a good seal around the whole thing if you want to remain midge proof if visiting interesting locations - ours is not!
Some form of access to the bow or sides would be good in case you have to attend to the anchor or alternatively as we often were drawn up with the bow on the beach - if only access is near the stern you sometimes need long wellies to get out.
Sleeping was fairly uncomfortable but a better thermarest will hopefully solve that.
cheers
tim
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron

Simon Knight

« Reply #11 on: 02 Mar 2012, 13:52 »
I used a homemade cockpit tent on last years English Raid.  In my opinion it needs to be higher than the spray hood to give a little more headroom.  My mark one tent was a "simple" ridge tent in canvas but hoops would be good to give two or more people sitting room.  I found that by being able to drop the spray hood with the tent up gained more room and made tending the mooring lines slightly simpler. 

My Mk 2 tent will use hoops.

The most important feature of a tent is that it must go up very very quickly otherwise you will go to a B and B.

I enclose some snaps

best wishes
Simon
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Simon Knight

« Reply #12 on: 02 Mar 2012, 14:06 »
I forgot to confirm that I would be interested in a custom tent :-)

best wishes

Simon
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka