Swallow Yachts Forum > Technical

Storm 15

<< < (2/2)

Gareth Curtis:

--- Quote from: gerald turner on 16 Apr 2011, 21:29 ---Well so many questions most of which have been covered,
Regards to thhe Dinghy Cruising Club is YES ,join them they are very helpfull and friendly, if you are close to the South coast they regulary hold day sails from Chichester harbour and the Solent , the other 3 regeions don't meet so often but do Join us!

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the invite, I'm in deapest darkest west Wales, One day I might sail around to you but I'm not ready for that yet!!!

There are 2 events that I know of near to me, one in Llyn Clywedog in May on the 6th and one in Milford Haven on July 23rd. Hopefully they won't mind a complete novice and I can get lots of experience at the same time. I'm hopefully going to Norfolk in the summer and if I can convince the wife I may take the boat.

Thanks
Gareth

Paul Cross:
Gareth

You are indeed correct about the harbour furl. My comments were about not wrapping the sail around the mast as a method of reefing. It takes a bit of practice, but furling the sail like this is useful. I only have one pic of IONA witha harbour furl.....it was an early attempt and looks very messy.
We find that the best way is to:
1. slacken the outhaul
2. Disconect the mainsheet (we rig with a snap hook on the sprit for this reason)
3. Take the sprit off the mast at the gooseneck (in our case the twisted salty rope/noose thingy)
4. Invert the sprit, mast end up, until it is parallel with the mast.
5. Roll the sail onto the sprit until you reach the nast.
6. Secure the whole thing to the mast. (we use 3 or 4, 6 inch, sail tie bungee loops)

This can be done whilst slowly motoring upwind or at anchor. I did it once after picking up a mooring to sit out a nasty squall off Largs. The boat pitched alarmingly and i learned that it was better to be quick than tidy.

Obvs. just reverse the steps to set sail again. you could do this in light winds without anchoring but it will take practice to get it right, so give yourself loooots of searoom.

We found this method because we always have the forestay rigged and it gets in the way when you try to furl around the mast. You might prefer to take off the sprit and just furl around the mast if not using the jib.

IMHO the boat feels far better to sail with the jib. She points a little closer to the wind and has a little too much weather helm without it. The major benefit in stronger winds is that you can back the jib (assuming you have crew or are rigged with seperate jibsheets). This means tacking is very quick and positve, invaluable if you have to manouver in a tight situation. (like when she goes home to the Teifi and all the water starts disappearing !!!)

The job furler works very well, for more details see this thread http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,52/expv,0/topic,213.0

BTW....if there are girls in bikinis on the beach.....stay on the beach. :)....or, even better...invite a couple in as ballast.

P

Gareth Curtis:
Thanks again Paul for your help and advice. I'm going to oxwhich on the weekend which is very sheltered and easy to launch from, so I'm hoping to put all this good advice to some practical use.

I'll be on the look out for bikini Ballast whilst I'm there

Gareth

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version