Author Topic: Beale Park  (Read 13616 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Beale Park
« on: 12 Jun 2011, 10:49 »
I went to the Beale Park Boat Show yesterday, where Matt was showing the BayCruiser 23 (see below).

A bit of a surprise was another craft that was lurking on the waterway.  I think it was radio-controlled but it was big enough to fit a man inside.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Ian Cowie

Re: Beale Park
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2011, 13:02 »
Just a couple of things I saw at the show.

Julian Swindell

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2011, 20:36 »
The spiky structure will be the side elevation of the spray hood. Just sketched in to see how high it will be. I didn't go to Beale this year. It is getting boringly the same every year.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Ian Cowie

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2011, 22:59 »
I have a second photograph.

I spoke to Matt and he told me a little about the boat. I did not question him at length as I am not in the market for a new boat and so did not want to waste his time too much. I own a Dras Coaster and happy with it.

This boat is a competitor to the Coaster and will be priced close to it. The cabin is more basic than the Cruiser and is a crawl in and die affair. Matt has already taken orders but is holding off until he has built a prototype.

A couple features I have noticed is that the cabin may be unobstructed by the keelbox and so cabin space may be more useable. Sliding hatch and waterproof lockers also.

The forehatch may be large enough to get your head and shoulders through to safely anchor and moor without a precarious walk along the gunwall as with the Coaster.

Matt said he would update the website as soon as he can. I hope I have not stolen his thunder.

An attractive boat but I am going to stick with my Coaster for the time being.

Ian Cowie

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2011, 08:21 »
The cabin is more basic than the Cruiser and is a crawl in and die affair

Very expressive!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Tony

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2011, 13:03 »
Had a ride on the BayCruiser 23 at Beale.
 Very nice, too!
The winds were a touch gusty and lesser craft were putting their gunnels under, but the BC 23 just powered away in the gusts, despite having her ballast tanks full, which should have slowed her down a bit.   The rapid acceleration and feeling of smooth power were really most impressive as, indeed, was her tight turning circle.   As for looks and finish, the photos don’t do her justice. She was quite the prettiest thing on the lake.
Difficult to compare her with the BC20 as I had a test sail in the smaller boat on the Teifi  Estuary ( in half a gale, if memory serves) rather than on the Beale Park  pond,  but, if pressed, I would  say the 23 is  more refined, with a more polished and sorted  feel  to her ...and (obviously)  has a deal more cabin space.  Quite what difference the sloop rig has, as compared to the yawl, I couldn’t comment upon on such short acquaintance...but I know which I prefer.....
If I had the cash, would I buy one?  Difficult choice.  The rumoured BC26 clouds the issue for those not wanting to trail very often.
For my kind of sailing, the BR 20 hull in its 6’7” beam version (the BC20 is 7’6” and the BC23 is 8 feet)  is about as much as I can comfortably deal with in a hotel car park - where I often have to cram the unhitched trailer into a tight corner on my way to pastures new.
What I want from a boat is as much seaworthiness per foot (and per kilogram trailed weight) as I can get and, at the moment, that means I am saving my pennies for the BR20 Expedition model, the only thing Ive seen on the market that could tempt me away from my Cardigan Bay Lugger  (18’7” x 6’2”) – seen below in a typically tight spot last summer. 
I predict the BR20e is going to be a big seller. I only hope they don’t wear the moulds out before I get my act together!

Tony

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2011, 13:16 »
my Cardigan Bay Lugger   seen below in a typically tight spot last summer. 

The observant will notice that the promised picture of a CBL in my previous post has magically transformed itself into a BC 23. Im hoping that this is prophetic ( rather than pathetic IT skills!) but am not holding my breath for a Lottey win.
Ho Hum!  Try again......