Swallow Yachts Forum > Technical

Bayraider modifications Mk II

<< < (2/3) > >>

Graham W:
David

= mast crutch - for holding up the mast in a horizontal position, out of the way of the tiller, so that you can (for example) motor under bridges. We normally make disobedient crew walk the plank.

Good luck with the trip.  Just to raise your morale, attached a picture I came across a bit further north of where you are going.  They forgot to mention the undertow and the sharks.  Oh, and to wish us all a very nice day!

Craic:

--- Quote from: Graham W on 27 Jun 2011, 09:19 ---...
Still to come:
Stiffer topmast
Centreboard and rudder protection strips
Centreboard slot deflector

--- End quote ---

Re Stiffer topmast,
here by comparison: The standard one (black, 40% cf, IMCS 22, originally 4.3m length, final weight incl. plugs and fittings 2,720 grs.)
vs.
the new one (silvery, 90% cf + 10% Alutex, IMCS 40, originally 5.8 m length, final weight incl. plugs and fittings 2,360 grs. )
The new one was a chance find at a windsurfer show, just asking around amongst dealers what was the longest and stiffest mast they had on offer. The new one is an Arrow Magik Stix brand, and is probably the stiffest one can ever get on the market.

Graham W:
Impressive!  I have managed to find one with an IMCS of 38 so far but very expensive.

David:

--- Quote from: Graham W on 27 Jun 2011, 09:19 ---
What favourite modifications do other forum members have? And what Scullmatix-type abject failures are they prepared to own up to?

--- End quote ---

Although not a modification as it would be too difficult to do after the build but one optional extra I would like to see on a BR is an anchor locker in the foredeck. I use my anchor all the time and keep it in a bag in the lockers but stowing it there is awkward if sailing off the anchor. I did discuss this with Andrew but decided not to bother as it would have been a bit extra and outside the standard boat. Its possible the jib boom may be in the way. It will be interesting to see if this is on the BR Expedition

David
Little Ripple

Craic:

--- Quote from: admin W on 28 Jun 2011, 08:48 --- ...
That said, I guess the open nature of this forum lends it some credibility and we will look at making some of the changes you suggest.

--- End quote ---

Matt,
re the other thread you had indicated to me some time ago you were considering introducing some of the improvements suggested. Please let us know which so I can take them off my list.

Re the sheared off rudder hinge bolt on one BR which was on display at the Hamburg Boat Show, I think that could also have been caused by hard loading the boat onto the trailer at the yard. The lower part of the thread of that bolt is protruding below the lower hinge, so it may have been caught during loading the boat, which would make it a one-off occurrence requiring no further action. Maybe the bolt should be mounted upside down, i.e. with the threaded length up, so there would be no part of the bolt protruding below the hull while winching up from the ground.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version