Author Topic: A new extreme sport for boatbuilders?  (Read 10863 times)

Michael Rogers

A new extreme sport for boatbuilders?
« on: 23 Jun 2011, 22:31 »
Standing at my Workmate today, sanding a ply hull panel with my random orbital sander (ROS), i became aware of the similarity between what I was doing - in terms of grasp of the 'machine', pressure applied, the movements I was making, ensuring that the whole surface was covered etc - and domestic ironing. Train of thought led to 'extreme ironing", which is well established as a fringe activity, and I thought, 'Why not extreme ROSing?'

So what about it, when we have some spare time and energy (when will that be, I wonder)? Does anyone fancy tipping out of a plane at 20,000 feet with a Workmate, a piece of ply, and an ROS (and a parachute, of course)?  Given its weight, would the Workmate be allowed its own parachute? What about the aerodynamic effect of the ply panel? There are clearly one or two practical issues to be ironed out.

Just a thought (or two). Comments welcome, provided they are not too abrasive. (Mind you, true grit will be required of any participants.)

(SP Cadenza and T12 in build)

Clem Freeman

Re: A new extreme sport for boatbuilders?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2011, 10:13 »
I think you need to take a break from sanding as your mind is obviously wandering. I know what its like though as I've just started sanding the hull of my S17.