Author Topic: How do you set-up the jibboom (or how hard do you pull up your mast) ?  (Read 9287 times)

Simon Knight

Until now I have tended to pull my BR20 mast up as tight as possible but I have noticed that the jib leech is very tight which results in a very flat sail.  Also when the sail is furled the jibboom is pressed into the deck with some force.  I am wondering if less luff tension i.e. a slacker forestay will give me a better shape in light airs.

I have also noticed that if the jibboom is moved off the foredeck while the mast is raised even greater tension can be applied to the point where it is not possible to get the jibboom back onto the deck so there must be a point of ideal rig tension.

Unfortunately I don t have easy access to the water and my tow car is broken so I am unable to experiment on the water and hoisting in the garden just does not quite cut it.

Any thoughts ?
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Alf Lande had a suggestion on this, which was to turn the jib boom into a bowsprit http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,52/expv,0/topic,326.0
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

James Lowden

As I have already mentioned to Simon, I believe that his Jibboom pivot attatchment point is incorrect.
We noticed when rigging that he had two loops on his jibboom for attaching the pivot to.
I am now convinced that it was fixed to the aft of the two - this would increase substantially the leverage and hence tension down the jib leech.
Having spent some time investigating this as well as discussing it with Matt, it is clear that the jib leech tension is dependant on two things i) Jibboom pivot point(leverage) ii) Rig tension.
I have seen photos of BR sailing in moderate breezes and the jib shape sets perfectly.
Therefore adjustment of pivot point &/or rig tension should alow correct setting(in moderate breezes).
In light winds a different set of perameters come into effect, such as the weight of the jibboom. In these conditions I will be setting the jib conventionally and resting the boom on the deck.

Hope this helps.
Jim L
BR17 'Tarika'