Author Topic: anchoring  (Read 10997 times)

jonno

anchoring
« on: 06 Aug 2011, 22:46 »
Hullo All

Having recently got a GRP Bayraider and being new to this day boat lark, I’m finding there are more questions than answers.  This forum is a great help.
So here’s my opening question.  What’s your advice on anchoring the BR20, please?  Do you have a bow fitting for your anchor or do you just sling over the side?  I worry (of course) about the (currently) pristine gelcoat.

John

Simon Knight

Re: anchoring
« Reply #1 on: 08 Aug 2011, 11:17 »
John,

Working on the principle of keeping the ends of the boat as light as possible I keep my anchor in a bucket just forward of the CB case.  This also prevents it from deploying while underway, which I am assured causes unnecessary excitement.  Where about will you be sailing?

best wishes

Simon
BayRaider 20 Carpe Diem
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

jonno

« Reply #2 on: 08 Aug 2011, 19:42 »
Thanks Simon

The anchor in a bucket in the cockpit makes sense, although I can foresee that if I use any chain that I'm going to have to be very careful with that lovely gelcoat.

I live in the West Midlands - not a lot of suitable sailing water around here.  Thus far, we've sailed on Llandegfedd and Clywedog reservoirs.  Then when I've fitted the boat out with one or two more things (like the anchor), I want to take her on saltwater.  And it would be good sometime to attend one of the Swallow Boat 'meets' so I can pester others to find out how to do things properly (today, when we picked up speed, a huge fountain of water came in through the centreboard slot).

John

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2011, 15:40 »
Jonno

I'm also in West Midlands and keep the boat at Draycot Water, also looking to get boat ready for the salty stuff and anchor purchase imminent. Anyone have any suggestions for anchor types they are happy with for the Bayraider. 5 K/g seems to be the correct weight on many chandler lists just need to sort through the options on type.

We must organise a Rutland get together and then possibly some coastal trips, i think it was Simon posting last week interested in doing this.
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

jonno

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2011, 09:42 »
Peter

Nice idea to meet up, in the first instance, at Rutland.  I'll watch the relevant thread in the Discussion section (the weekend of 20/21 August may be a possibility for me - otherwise I think it might have to be October).

Regarding anchors, I'll continue to watch this space for advice on tackle!

John

Terry Cross

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2011, 13:47 »
Quote  (today, when we picked up speed, a huge fountain of water came in through the centreboard slot).

We have solved this problem on our Storm 15 by fitting a kevlar strip (cut down the middle) over the slot on the rubbing strip
Terry Cross  IONA

Simon Knight

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2011, 20:28 »
I use a 5kg Rocna and a 2kg Bruce (lunch hook) on Carpe Diem
Simon Knight

jonno

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2011, 23:37 »
Dear All

Having naively asked a question about anchoring, we now appear to have three threads here.  Thanks everybody.

Thanks Terry regarding plugging the centreboard slot.  I'm not clear what a kevlar strip is but at least in a Bayraider, what floods in floods out.

Thanks Simon about anchoring: do you use chain? how much? how heavy, please? (my idea is to use a short, rather heavy anchor rode to ease handling, limiting damage to the so precious pristine gelcoat - but I'd like your views)

Thanks Peter about Rutland.  Is the 'General Discussion' section a more appropriate site? I'll post there.

Thanks

John

Simon Knight

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2011, 10:49 »
My main anchor and string is shown in the pictures.  I use approx 2m of chain and then rope.  The anchor weighs 4kg.  I went for this anchor which may be a little large as at times I want to sleep while using the hook.  I also have a 2kg bruce which I use as a lunch hook.
Simon Knight

jonno

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2011, 11:57 »
Thanks Simon.  Very helpful.

John