Author Topic: Bayraider Sailing Lessons  (Read 10042 times)

Barrie Jones

Bayraider Sailing Lessons
« on: 08 Aug 2011, 19:26 »
Hello All

I am new to the forum and have recently purchased the GRP Bayraider advertised here in the "For Sale" section. I had to go to Birmingham to collect the boat and bring it back to my home near Cardigan I am a born again sailer having done quite a bit in dinghys and cats, but nearly twenty years ago!

Anyhow my first effort to get sailing was in Gwbert (Cardigan) on Saturday last and it did not go well. I really struggled with managing the boat under outboard (no really)being blown all over the place by the crosswind and finding that I could only manage to turn in enormous circles despite using both rudder and outboard together. I was daft to expect to pick it up again easily but not too daft to see the danger in carrying on. I did a brief lap of the moorings and called it a day.

My request is simple, will anyone be kind enough to show me how to sail my boat! I don't know how many Bayraider sailers we have in this area however I wouls be delighted to either go on another boat as an observer or have someone sail mine. I would be happy to cross some hands with silver or purchase some nice ales to make it all worthwhile.

PS Anyone find that the Suzuki df2.5's stall a lot when moving slowly from idle to medium throttle?  Mine did and that certaily added some additional unwelcome drama to an already edgy situation.

Regards

Barrie Jones

Colin Morley

Re: Bayraider Sailing Lessons
« Reply #1 on: 08 Aug 2011, 20:24 »
Hi Barrie,

I am sorry i leave on the East coast so cant give you direct lessons. However, I can give you some ideas. The BayRaider is quite long and behaves more like a small yacht than a dinghy. Firstly, the problem you had with steering is most likely because you did not have the centreboard down. Without the centreboard the bow catches the wind and can make it very difficult to turn. The other thing to help close turning is to use both the tiller and the outboard to turn. The bow is very shallow and so easily blows away. This can happen even when sailing. To tack neatly you can do two things. Firstly, when tacking close hauled, even though there is a self tacking jib it is best to free off the jib as you come through the wind and then sheet in when you are heading in the right direction. If you keep the jib sheeted in as you tack and it catches the wind the bows can easily blow down wind. Secondly, use the mizzen to help tack quickly. If you are close hauled pull the mizzen over a little to windward. This then helps the turning like a fin on an airplane. If you would like to talk over any details problems feel free to ring. 07590647097.

You will soon get it.
Colin
Colin
BR James Caird

Julian Swindell

Re: Bayraider Sailing Lessons
« Reply #2 on: 08 Aug 2011, 21:05 »
Colin is right about the centreboard. You don't need much of it if you are motoring but you will need some if it is windy. My first trip on my Baycruiser was just out to my mooring and I could not control it at all in a strong wind. I was all over the place and banged into other boats. In the end I found that I could motor backwards under control, so got out to the mooring that way and called it a day. Matt told me about the centre board, and with that just part down all has been well since. It also helps in a wind to have the mizzen set when you are motoring, especially if you are heading into the wind. You will get the hang of it, don't worry.
There are some people near Gwbert who know quite a lot about BayRaiders...
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/