Author Topic: Lee helm  (Read 9118 times)

John Davis

Lee helm
« on: 26 Aug 2011, 22:03 »
I'm hoping some of you experienced Bayraider owners can help me with my sail trim.  I've noticed that in light wind I tend to have a little lee helm, which is not ideal.  Does this mean I have the mast rake wrong?
many thanks
John

Colin Morley

Re: Lee helm
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2011, 20:05 »
Hi John,

As no one else has replied i will do my best. The thing with lee helm and weather helm is to balance the pull of the sails. Adjust the jib, main and in or out until the boat feels balanced.

Which one you concentrate on depends on the direction and strength of the wind and the sail position.

In the BR 20 i suggest you try playing with the mizzen then the other sails. Sorry I cant be more specific but the only way to really help is to get in the boat with you.

Best wishes
Colin
BR James Caird

John Davis

Re: Lee helm
« Reply #2 on: 04 Sep 2011, 21:34 »
Many thanks, Colin.  I appreciate your reply and suggestion.

I've solved my problem.  It is only in very light winds, going to windward, that I have the lee helm and it is only slight. It has been abolished by sitting well forward to make sure the forefoot is biting and by sheeting the jib in a conventional manner.  I think the lack of twist in the jib when it is set up on the club boom is not so good in light airs.

Yours,
John