Author Topic: Calling all BR17 Kit Builders  (Read 9460 times)

Ian Soady

Calling all BR17 Kit Builders
« on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:10 »
All,

I am after a boat. Ideally I'd go to Matt and say please build me one of these nice shiny BR17/ Storm 17s (I have still to make up my mind - Oughtred's Arctic Tern is in the mix too). However I am also interested in building a boat but have to balance time v cost v a desire to go sailing NOW!!!

So I was wondering if any of the BR17 home builders has kept a log of the time they have taken to complete their boat? Also which type of kit they have used (panel or full). Matt suggests a time of 500 hours - which from my current project of building Oughtred's Mouse pram this will take me 3+ years.

Any info welcome.

Thanks

Ian

Anthony Huggett

Re: Calling all BR17 Kit Builders
« Reply #1 on: 06 Sep 2011, 11:15 »
Hi Ian,
     I'm only aware of 2 (amateur) BR17  kit builders at the moment, myself and Steve Jones, who has also posted on here. I've been working weekends and evenings since Boxing Day 2010, with other projects, holidays and business trips getting in the way. I have very nearly completed stage 1 in the instructions, which is the hull and structure up to the level of the floor. But I spent a lot of time at the start on pre-coating the panels, which I hope will allow me to accelerate the later stages of the build. Certainly once I get the floor in, it looks pretty straightforward and fast to do the top planks and the remaining structure.

From his pictures, I think Steve is much further on, but I think he has had much more time to work on the boat.

Mine is a full kit.

Regards,

Anthony

Ian Soady

« Reply #2 on: 06 Sep 2011, 11:41 »
Thanks Anthony,

Business trips do get in the way...and because of some coming up I am not expecting to complete the current project until the New Year. Would appreciate if you could keep us upto date on your build - you know the end result will be worth it!

Steve, any info from your build beyond the 250 hours from your post in  June??? Must be satisfying to the project coming together.

Thanks

Ian

steve jones

« Reply #3 on: 07 Sep 2011, 11:33 »
Hello Ian,

Just picked up your post.

The estimate for 500 hours sounds about right, under normal working conditions that is, few of us kit builders have time or facilities that are the boat building norm'.

My own circumstances are such that I have plenty of  dry workshop space available, but work spasmodically and single handed. I have other boats, and this year have been sailing in Falmouth, Milford Haven, at my sailing club in the Brecon Beacons and next week I'm off to Ullswater.

At present I've just turned the boat back over the correct way.
I'm also adding a few additional personal modifications which adds to the time and complications.

I would hesitate to give any building advice, but mistake I have make and will continue to make! is not to clean up as you go.

All the best

Steve

Ian Soady

« Reply #4 on: 07 Sep 2011, 20:42 »
Thanks Steve,

So I'll factor 500hours into the calculation.

Good luck with the remainder of the build - look forward to seeing the photos of launch day.

Ian