Author Topic: GRP Bayraider Mizzen Mast Retaining Bracket  (Read 10645 times)

Peter Cockerton

GRP Bayraider Mizzen Mast Retaining Bracket
« on: 12 Sep 2011, 11:40 »
I would firstly like to say that i have discussed this with Matt and and he is being most helpfull on resolving the problem. I raise this topic so owners can check their fixing screws to prevent the experience happening to them.

Later boats i'm assured have the bracket secured with nuts and bolts.
I can't access the rear bulkhead on my Bayraider without fitting a another access hatch to install nuts and bolts so i'm going to try larger screws first.

Sailing in blustery conditions,  mizzen, two reefs in the main and full jib. 50 mtrs of the shore and about to tack. I heard a noise behind me and noticed the mizzen mast was not vertical, the tiller had restricted movement. The stainless steel mizzen mast lower securing bracket had come adrift on one side and the screw hanging out. Quickly furling the mizzen and getting the mast into the boat was not easy and also resulted in the remaining screw holding the bracket parting company with the bulkhead.
The most disconcerning aspect of this was the tiller not moving freely being restricted by bracket and mast, not sure which as i was in a hurry to get the mast down.

Bracket from outboard well recovered, boat sailing again and engine on just in case as i wasn't to sure of the balance of the boat without the Mizzen.

So, check your fixings, consider fitting nuts and bolts if you have screws, and once again thanks Matt for excellent reponse to my questions (even over the weekend) and offering to provide parts FOC.
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: GRP Bayraider Mizzen Mast Retaining Bracket
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2011, 15:08 »
My mizzen bracket is screwed through the GRP to wooden blocks on the reverse, which are obviously there to provide extra grip and security.  It seems to have worked well so far but there is no reason not to bolt it all the way through with penny washers and locking nuts, just to be extra secure.  Thanks for the warning.

My problem with the mizzen is that the mast waggles around somewhat in its socket, even if (in addition to using the locking washer on the bottom of the mast) I secure it to the mainmast crutch with the strop provided.  I think triangular section wooden shims are the answer, just to jam it in good & proper. I only noticed the problem after I had left the mast in situ for a few nights, with my anchor light attached to a pigstick, as per the photo below.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2011, 15:24 »
Graham

The largest self tapping stainless screws i have found m14 i think will still be to small for the GRP hole left by the m12 screws which pulled out, i'm not sure on the wood reinforcements behind the GRP, my suspicion is that my boat was not fitted with them either. Matt is sending parts including an access hatch to install in the semi horizontal roof of the outboard well which not having checked yet should give me access to the inside to install nuts and bolts. If anyone has any pictures of location of there access hatch it would be interesting to see them. I will be buying a "hole cutter" once  i know the size of the access hatch Matt is sending me, if anyone else is looking at fitting one you are most welcome to loan the cutter to fit yours.

Not sure if  i suffer from the mast "waggling" around in it's socket as i never sleep on the boat and probably to busy with the boat however i will listen and look out for it in future.

The ladder bracket you designed has been plagiarised by me and i have bracket and ladder installed on Joybells now (your welder chappie did speak to me once but i didn't hear from him again so local welder found who did a very good job.

Thanks for comment and recovery ladder bracket design, keep them coming.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Julian Swindell

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2011, 11:38 »
The mizzen mast in my Baycruiser does rattle about a bit. It doesn't matter when you are sailing, as everything is rattling about then, but at anchor it can drive you mad. I spend a lot of nights on my boat and I get obsessional about rattles and knocks. Hercules aeroplabnes passing overhead don't register, but a cup tapping occassionally against the hull side has me up and frothing in the wee small hours.

I rest the boom in a scissors arrangement, which stops it moving, and then wrap a bungee loop around the mizzen and the taught mainsheet. That keeps the mizzen pulled forward and still. The other things to silence are the rudder (haul it right up) the centreboard (again, haul it up tight) and any rope up the mast. It doesn't have to tap the mast, if it just swings around you can hear it inside. But not necessarily outside, where all is apparently peaceful. People have been convinced of my insanity as I keep popping up on deck, listen intently to appreant silence and then howl "what IS it?" I often only find out by tieing up eveery moving thing one by one and going below to listen. By the time all is finally quiet I usually get disturbed by the morning chorus...
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2011, 14:56 »
Just a quick note to say parts arrived from Matt and installed on Joybells so job is done.
I would also like to say it was not easy, cutting the access hole in the roof of the outboard well via the outboard slot fighting off the jaws of the anti turbulence strips was painfull. After cutting the hole to my dismay you can't get to the fixing hole for one side of the bracket due to the double skin required for the water access point for the boat righting tanks ( rectanguler wood surround next to stainless steel mizzen bracket).
Access to one fixing point achieved, getting washer and nut to bolt agin very difficult but eventually achieved. So now to second fixing bolt, if you feel around inside the wood surround access hole you can just get to the right hand securing hole, getting the nut and washer on with space for only one finger challenging, achieved though with double sided tape stuck to one finger and wsher, then same for nut. Small spanner to hold nut inside opening, second small spanner to replace first one which dropped inside cavity never to be seen again but no doubt heard when i get back on the water and tack eventually got the nut and bolt secure.

Hope above helps if you find the same problem on your boat, i did try the larger screws first but i wasn't happy with the fixing, i found i didn't have any wood behind the GRP so just self tappers into GRP.

Julian, understand totally where you are coming from on rattles and knocks when sleeping aboard, on my travels when sleeping on 35 footers it's either a squeaking fender or a halyard rattling against the mast keeping me awake or snores form another crew member. Earpugs work well but then you wonder if your missing important noises from anchors dragging etc.

Thanks
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2011, 19:11 »
Here is a photo of a rather nifty mast crutch on the BR17, which was on display at Southampton.  Unlike the arrangement on the BR20, this allows you to steer with the mainmast down. And of course, it provides better support for the mizzen mast.  Perhaps something like this should be standard on the BR20 as well?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III