Author Topic: Nasa combined Combined speed/distance log and echo sounder  (Read 8993 times)

Peter Cockerton

Installed and working very well on my Bayraider, initially i was put off by design requirements which specified bulkhead flush fitting or insertion into a double width waterproof box. I did not want to cut a hole in the nice curvy horizontal face of the cockpit bulhead and a double width sealed box would be to wide for the centreboard case.

The main reason for both fitting types is the wire entry hole in the back of the unit being left breathable to allow condensation within the unit to escape. The two transducer plugs can be covered in silicon grease to prevent water ingress.

The NASA clipper unit however met my other requirements and i felt it worth pursuing the possibility of installing on the centreboard case for easy viewing and control access which are waterproof.

It has a clear large display capable of showing water depth and speed through the water which were my main requirements.

It has a very low current consumtion 20 m/a without the backlight and 45 m/a with the backlight.

It included both transducers in the price of £138.00 (New on Ebay)

I fitted the depth transducer in the standard place in front of the centreboard case and the log transducer in the cockpit sump.

To overcome the breathing requiremnt of the wire entry into the unit i used a small length of clear narrow gauge flexible tube which when pushed over the grommet on the rear of the unit and sealed and the other end pushed into my transducer access hole i cut in the centreboard case provide the seal and the breathing requirement.

I mounted the head into the NASA clipper stirrup mount which provides the ability to angle the head for viewing preferences.

Initial trials show both transducers are happy where they are installed, i can see clearly the display and change the display from helming position.

Happy
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard