Author Topic: Performance Comparison of BR20 to...  (Read 9142 times)

David Hughes

Performance Comparison of BR20 to...
« on: 15 May 2012, 22:04 »
I am starting to look at the BR20. With the boat being new to the US, I am going on just what I have read here; which I like so far. I was interested in how this boat performs as compared to other boats of similar style/size or even with keel boats. Some of the boats I have been looking at but not satisfied with the looks has been the core sound 20, the sea pearl 21 and the sage 17, which is new to the market but also might fit the bill. All of these are designed to be trailerable with good performance.

I currently own a 21 foot, full keel, John Alden designed double ender (4,000 lbs displacement). Prior to that a 28 ft ketch rigged L Francis Hershoff Rozinante and 14 foot melonseed skiff so I am experianced in both keeled and dagger board boats. I am looking for something with a good turn of speed, space for a family, and the stability needed for the family.

Any comments and information would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Dave Hughes
Portland, Maine, USA

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Performance Comparison of BR20 to...
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2012, 22:58 »
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

The extraordinary thing about the BR20 (and having owned one for nearly 19 months, I still find it extraordinary) is that it is two boats in one.

Without water ballast and with all sails set, it is very quick, both upwind and downwind. And without the ballast, it is light and therefore easy to launch and recover.

With the water ballast tank filled and with the jib, mizzen and maybe a reefed mainsail, it is slower and very stable in quite high winds, so that passengers of a nervous disposition feel safe but good progress is still made.

Switching from unballasted to ballasted and vice versa is pretty speedy (particularly if a few modifications, like installing extra bungs and more self bailers, are made).

Have a look at the nearby thread on speed - 10.8 knots appears to be the record so far, although I am sure that there are several BR20 owners who are aiming to exceed that.

As for comparison with other boats, there are many BR20 owners who have had experience of the direct competition and I will leave it to them to comment.  My previous boat was a Lune Whammel and the BR20 is in a completely different league, particularly upwind.

I expect you have already seen this http://www.sailmagazine.com/best-boats-2012-bayraider-20  The article contains a link to a video made by the editor of Sail Magazine (looking very relaxed) who explains why he made the choice of the BR20 as best boat of 2012.

Good luck with your choice!

Graham
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III