Author Topic: Tohatsu / Mariner Warranty Transfer Refusal  (Read 8809 times)

Llafurio

Tohatsu / Mariner Warranty Transfer Refusal
« on: 25 Aug 2012, 08:51 »
Engine news: Tohatsu UK refuses to transfer an ongoing original 36 months engine warranty if a Tohatsu outboard engine originally sold by a Tohatsu dealer to a sailor in Germany is subsequently sold on to a sailor in UK. Reason given: "Tohatsu does NOT (sic!) offer a worldwide warranty". You live and learn.
(Tohatsu is the original manufacturer also behind the "Mariner" branded engines.)
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: Tohatsu / Mariner Warranty Transfer Refusal
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2012, 09:38 »
Interesting. I think the reason they give is wrong, although the warranty may still not be transferable. My understanding is that EU law requires a product to be warrantied throughout the EU and not just in the member state where it was purchased. Therefore, the lack of a "worldwide warranty" is irrelevant. However, I am not certain whether warranties have to be transferable or whether that is at the manufacturer's discretion.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Peter Cockerton

Re: Tohatsu / Mariner Warranty Transfer Refusal
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2012, 08:07 »
The same engine sold under the Mariner brand has a 5 year transferable warranty. The 20 hr service must have been completed for newish engines with relevant stamp in service book, although they do accept this could take two seasons usage so if it hasnt been done yet they would like it done asap

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard