Author Topic: Teifi Skiff  (Read 8970 times)

Brian Pearson

Teifi Skiff
« on: 17 Nov 2012, 11:34 »
The Teifi Skiff is one of Swallow Boats less well know designs. I follow the blog by Chris partridge on rowing for pleasure, and Chris can be very critical of many of the boats he tries out, he is after all a very experienced rower. Here's the kind of thing he says about the Teifi Skiff - he rows with the Langstone Cutters and they have two of them.

"The Teifi skiff is a remarkable boat, fast, easy to row and very seaworthy. I have grown to love the pair we have at Langstone Cutters, after an initial period going through the pain of regrowing the stomach and back muscles needed to lean back properly when rowing them.
The design is very thought-through, and shown by this article in Duckworks Magazine by their creator Nick Newland of Swallow Boats. I particularly appreciate the emphasis on ergonomics. Home boat designers tend to focus on the lines, aiming for the ultimately fast hull, but in my opinion you can get much more performance simply by making things comfortable for the rowers."

This is the article by Swallow Boats very own Nick Newland in Duckworks
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/articles/rowing/index.htm

Impressed by Chris's very positive view of the Teifi Skiff, and needing to keep on the water after having to stop sailing, I thought I would keep a look out for one, not quite having the confidence to buy new, yes, Swallow Boats will still be happy to produce a new one. Well, one turned up and I have spent the last week giving her some TLC. High quality boats do respond well to TLC and she certainly has done that.

I thought you might like to see her and just what a Teifi Skiff looks like.

Very much looking forward to trying her out.

Brian

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: Teifi Skiff
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2012, 19:26 »
Brian,

That looks good so well done on your purchase. Funnily enough,I first discovered Swallow Boats when looking for a coastal rowing boat and came across the Teifi Skiff. I then decided I was more of a sailor than a rower so changed direction! I still have the original Teifi Skiff details that Nick Newland sent to me so I will post them on the website sometime.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"