Author Topic: Just Ordered a BayRaider Expedition and Registered on Here  (Read 9140 times)

Royboy

Hello everyone from a new chap

I hope I am posting in the right place?

:) After reading the PBO report on the BRe and talking to Matt at length we (my wife Ann and I) met Matt at the London Boat Show and placed an order for a Bre ;D

I currently own a Character Boats Coastal Whammel and sail it mainly at Carsington Water in Derbishire.  I bought the boat mainly to take my ageing and disabled father sailing again when he was up to it, in as safe an environment as possible - Carsington have rescue boats manned and on the water at all times.  It has become clear that a cabin/cuddy would improve this experience for dad.

I am hoping that the water ballast will make the boat as stable as possible whilst still giving a 'good sail'

I would ideally have liked to test sail a BRe before placing the order - but Matt does not have one available at the moment - so has promissed me a sail in a BayRaider 20 as soon as practicable.

If anyone has a BRe and is willing .....   We do live in the Macclesfield area though!

Anyway from what I hear and read - I think we will be more than pleased with our new baby

Anyone looking for an immaculate Coastal Whammel, available when we take delivery......

Hope to meet some of you soon

Roy

Bay Raider expedition No 19

Julian Swindell

Welcome to Swallow World! You won't regret your purchase, they are wonderful boats.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Royboy

Thanks Julian

The most difficult part will be the wait for delivery I suspect!

Roy

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Welcome Roy. 

I had an old Bill Bailey Lune Whammel before I bought my BayRaider 20. I don't know if Whammels have improved since then but the contrast in upwind performance between the two boats was startling!

As for stability, with the water ballast in, the BRe will be just as stable as the Whammel.  My Whammel ballast was fertiliser bags full of gravel under the cockpit boards - crude but effective. And the mast was a small tree that had been roughly hewn to the right shape - no attempt at hollowing out.  I enjoyed it while I had it but it was time to change when I realised that I was being outsailed by Drascombes, which I briefly considered until I discovered Swallow Boats.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Royboy

Thanks Graham

I am hoping the BRe will be more stable than the whammel when the ballast is in - as it (the whammel) sometimes gives me the eebee jeebies on a sudden gust - and capsizing with dad on board is not a good proposition in a whammel, I think righting it and then getting rid of the water would be most difficult with an 80 year old disabled crew! - at least the BRe is self righting and self draining if the unthinkable happens - and from what I see on youtube very difficult to capsize anyway.

I think the old whammel was a different beast anyway - the ballast on mine is built in and not carried separately.

I have enjoyed ownership of the whammel - it is a beautiful boat - and llooks lovely when sailing - I am quite sad about selling her really - but if I keep it I wont have time to sail both - so BRe ownership it is

Cheers

Roy

Rob Waller

I love my BRe but I would caution that it is not all that easy getting in and out of the cabin on any small boat like this.

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Roy,

My BRe will hopefully be at the Rutland Water rally in early April if you're interested in a sail. The water ballast certainly makes a noticeable difference and I think you would have to work hard, be unlucky, or reckless - or probably all 3! - to capsize her when ballasted. Also, reefing the BRe is very easy, something not to be overlooked when thinking about keeping safe.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Royboy

Jonathan - That is an offer I can't refuse - thank you

I would be delighted to take you up on that and will look forward to it - let me have the dates etc you can mail me direct on wearing63 at gmail dot com

Thanks again

Roy

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Rutland is 6th and 7th April. More details here:

http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?ai1ec_event=rutland-water-rally&instance_id=44

I plan to be there but let's keep in touch!
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Royboy

Thanks again Jonathan

I will keep intouch but I don't have your email?

Roy