Author Topic: Harbor Furling Swallow Boats BayRaider ready for trailering.  (Read 8518 times)

david

I have struggled with how best to fold my sail at the end of the day. I was tired of just bunching up the sail and tying it off. The sail was also becoming wrinkled! Claus was kind enough along with Graham to offer suggestions. But I was still having difficulty picturing how to do this. I have found a solution; I am not sure what Claus or Graham would think. But it works for me.
I head to wind, furl the jib, and set the mizzen to keep the boat into the wind. Then furl, use a sail tie at the bottom of the sail, use the two pearler beads to tie around the sail, bring down the gaff, use one sail tie for the top sail, release and bring into the boat.
Jackknifing the sail was the biggest issue for me. But stepping the foot down into the boat solves this for me as you can see in the video.
It takes about 5 mins to do. I made a video and posted to You Tube demonstrating this outside my home, for those of us that like pictures to see what’s happening!
 Here is the link to the video  -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPV1s7YFaI

Regards,

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Clem Freeman

Thanks for that. I'm going to give it a try on my S17. I usually end up in a right mess but have just got the roller reefing (xmas pressie) so this year things should be a lot more controlled.

Clem

Colin Morley

Looks neat and tidy. I just wondered what it would be like in a wind. Do you have experience of that?

I notice you did nopt have the mizzen up. You need a toping lift. raise the boom to horizontal with the topping lift. Lower the gaff so it is horizontal and fix it to the boom, furl the sail and tie the end of the gaff to the mizzen. It works well, is quick with a crew and is easy to raise again. In particular it keeps the boom gaf and sail out of the well of the boat and away from the crew.

Best wishes,

Colin
Colin
BR James Caird

david

Hi Colin
                 I took the video after I returned from sailing. As to your question of how does it work in wind. I use this method each time I sail as I keep the boat on the trailor. I do not have a mooring etc. You have the same issue when furling in wind. Some find the boom heavy. Add wind and it does take some strength and agility. I head to wind to make the furl a little easier. Failing that I complete at the dock.

Regards

David
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad