Author Topic: What do you call a thingumijig?  (Read 8461 times)

Michael Rogers

What do you call a thingumijig?
« on: 04 Feb 2013, 20:38 »
Hi Folks

Is there a technical (nautical) name for the sort of 'slider'/fastener thingies which are used on tent guy ropes to tension them and then keep them taut (or slack)?

Obviously the material they are made of would have to be appropriate for marine use, and would have an effect on how 'grippy' (unmoving) they were once tensioned. The nearest I have come across would be a variation on the euphroe theme (= a kind of wooden block traditionally used on chinese junks: as described, rather in passing, in 'Practical Junk Rig' by Hasler and McCleod); and for the use I have in mind, I think hardwood would do nicely. But I don't think I know what I'm talking about. Does anyone else?

Michael

Edwin Davies 2

Re: What do you call a thingumijig?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Feb 2013, 22:28 »
It is called a bowsie.

Michael Rogers

Re: What do you call a thingumijig?
« Reply #2 on: 04 Feb 2013, 22:46 »
Thanks, Edwin. I thought there must be a name. And probably everyone else knows, in which case it's a bit embarrassing, but at least I know now. (It also sounds a bit nicely Scottish - ?)

I think I have a use for it, on a sort of kicking strap which isn't one (because it is kept just slightly slack), to prevent a potential junk rig catastrophe called 'fan-up', when gybing in strong winds (see PJR for details).
I'll try it, and try to remember to report back in due course (which means, at my age, I'll probably forget).

Michael