Author Topic: Spray dodger BR17  (Read 8406 times)

Mrs Chippy

Spray dodger BR17
« on: 26 Feb 2013, 10:13 »
Hi all - our BR17 is under construction in Tasmania and we have asked that provision be made to fit a spray dodger. We are planning to take our grandchildren out sailing so thought it would be good to have a sheltered spot for them ( they are littlies under 6 years). Before I actually spend the money on the dodger I'm keen to hear how splashy a BR17 actually is though. We currently have a small catboat and crewing involves regular bucket of water in the face experiences once you gets any kind of chop. I would be keen to hear BR17 owners experiences and views. Cheers Linda ( aka mrs chippy)

retired2sail

Re: Spray dodger BR17
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2013, 12:44 »
Hi there.  Good to hear from old Tassie.  I used to live in Melbourne and went to Tas quite often.  Great place.
We have a BR17 with a spray hood.  We sail on the river Fal in Cornwall and off the coast here.  We don't sail in heavy weather but up to max force 4ish, with full ballast, the boat sails pretty dry.  Spray kicked up will get you if the spray hood is down and you sit on the side seats by the centre board but we've never had "buckets of water" in the face.  No doubt you would get wetter in a stronger breeze, especially if you sail without ballast and the boat moves about in a chop.
What we have noticed is that you get and annoying "slop" up the centre board case in a chop.  Not a big deal for me (I'm usually helming) but my crew doesn't like wet feet.  Last year we fitted a "slot cover" which is two bits of fibe glass sheeting (as used in the outboard well) under the centre board case top, slightly overlapped.  Picture is attached.  This has helped but this year I'm going to make up some different length bits of timber to drop into the top of the box as well. 
If you do go for the spray dodger, make sure the track is attached at the inboard end adjacent to the mast with bolts rather than screws.  Ours originally had screws and they pulled out because there was no backing to the deck ply. 
I would also suggest that you fit the double topping lift as described in this forum if you have a dodger.   Not only will it make sail handling easier but it can hold the yard and the boom well above the top of the dodger if you want to moor somewhere with the dodger up.  Otherwise, if the yard is supported on the mast rest at the stern, the boom on ours touches the top of the dodger and you have to lift the boom and the yard to raise and lower the dodger.  The topping lift is our improvement for this year.
Good luck, hope you enjoy the BR17 as much as we do.  Chris
Chris Wright
Bay Raider 17 "Gemini"
St Just in Roseland, Cornwall

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #2 on: 01 Mar 2013, 13:20 »
Chris,
        I'm currently building a BR17, so following this thread with interest. The slot cover on the top is an interesting idea - it's more usual to have one underneath, minimising turbulence around the slot.
That might be more effective in keeping the water out.

Regards,
Anthony

Terry Cross

« Reply #3 on: 01 Mar 2013, 15:34 »
After getting soaked whilst beating in a choppy sea in Weymouth Bay , I decided we needed a spray hood  on “ IONA” our Storm 15.
The main problems where, the sprit was too low and the hood had to be folded to gain access to the mast, so I designed a spray hood without a top ( a spray dodger or wind screen)
The dodger lies “parked” flat on the deck and when raised is supported by a prop between the deck and the top frame.

This system can be adapted to most existing spray hoods. Just prop up the front of the hood and fold the top to rest on the bar above the windows.
This website illustrates the use of  “props”
http://www.martexmarine.com/sprayhood_kits.htm
Terry Cross

retired2sail

« Reply #4 on: 01 Mar 2013, 16:38 »
Thanks Terry.  Great website.  Looks like the spray hoods supplied by Swallow except that mine has the foot of the cover in a plastic track on the deck.
Hi Antony.  The slot cover idea was Matt Newland's.  I am also more familiar with a slot cover on the keel having messed about in racing dinghys where minimising turbulence to maximise boat speed can be critical.  Matt cautioned against this for the BR17 because the cover can get damaged if you beach the boat and when you haul it on and off the trailer.  Also, I keep my boat on a swinging mooring so a keel-mounted slot cover would foul up.  The outboard well cover flaps certainly do foul up (there are forum comments on this) but they are reasonably easy to get at with a brush.
Regards
Chris
Chris Wright
Bay Raider 17 "Gemini"
St Just in Roseland, Cornwall

Mrs Chippy

« Reply #5 on: 02 Mar 2013, 05:57 »
All good stuff thanks. Dodger now ordered - it would be a hassle to retrofit one, so we decided to get it now. We might look at a topping lift at some points - we are used to having one and it is a very handy bit of rigging.