Author Topic: Official BR20 cockpit tent  (Read 10812 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Official BR20 cockpit tent
« on: 08 Mar 2013, 10:31 »
After a very long gestation, the BR20 cockpit tent has finally arrived, priced at £575 + VAT.  This is quite a bit cheaper than any of the bespoke solutions that I have been quoted for (one was asking nearly £2,000!) but is more than the MSR Gear Shed, which I used as a temporary solution http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,393.msg2800.html#msg2800

The new tent relies on the sprayhood for support at the front and uses a hoop that slots into the oarlock sockets at the back.  Attached the instruction sheet, which also includes a few photos. There is full inside sitting space at the rear, next to the door, windows on each side and the lockers can be opened inside the tent.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Anthony Huggett

Re: Official BR20 cockpit tent
« Reply #1 on: 09 Mar 2013, 08:34 »
First of all, congratulations and thanks to Matt for producing this accessory.

My worry with this design (for 2 people camping) is that the boat could trim by the bow when the crew move forward to use it, so that any rain landing on the exposed deck or aft face of the tent will flow in under the tent rather than out via the sump. Then again I've got a BR17 rather than a BR20 and it's likely to be more sensitive to crew weight.

I would love to hear any experiences for or against this theory - I'm planning a tent at some stage and would much prefer an off-the-shelf version if it keeps the water out.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2013, 09:41 »
Anthony,

You've raised this possibility before.  It's definitely not a problem at seat level on a GRP BR20, where I will be sleeping, as any moisture will be captured by the aft locker drainage channel (just in from the rear of the tent - see photo 4 in the instructions).  I can see that the ply BR17 seats and lockers are different, so it may be more of a problem for that model, depending on trim.

It could be a possible problem on the BR20 cockpit sole in flat calm conditions, again depending on how the boat is trimmed.  If the outboard fuel tank and other heavy items are moved towards the stern and there are waves, then it is probably not a problem there either.  Real users (including me) will report back in due course. If this summer is anything like last year's, there should be no difficulty finding challenging conditions to test the tent in.

Graham
Graham

david

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2013, 14:45 »
Hi Graham
                       How does the price compare to other tents in the UK. Custom tents always tend to cost a little more due to the limited run. I do like the look. But am hesitant to drill that many holes in my boat!
David
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2013, 18:26 »
Hi Graham
                       How does the price compare to other tents in the UK. Custom tents always tend to cost a little more due to the limited run. I do like the look. But am hesitant to drill that many holes in my boat!
David

David,

I was quoted from £900 to £1,900 for a bespoke tent, including VAT at 20%, so the official SB tent is quite a bit cheaper.  My biggest problem was persuading tent manufacturers to even give me a quote.  The company that does a lot of Drascombe tents couldn't have been less interested.  So to get an official tent that is also cheaper than the rest seems like a win-win.

Holes are to be avoided where possible but the four holes for the cockpit lacing buttons are nothing too serious. I already had multiple lacing buttons on the rubbing strip for my mooring cover.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2013, 21:09 »
Here are a couple of pictures of the inside of the tent.
Graham

Simon Knight

« Reply #6 on: 01 Apr 2013, 15:52 »
Graham,

I was just about to start designing my next tent when I found this thread.  Thanks for posting and for the pictures.  Am I correct in thinking that the rear of the tent slopes aft so that the tent clears the lockers?  Also how thick are the poles?  I'm thinking that I could add a hoop to my existing tent to give me the sitting head room that is sadly lacking at preset.

best wishes

Simon
BR20 Carpe Diem
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 01 Apr 2013, 16:44 »
Simon,

Yes, the rear of the tent slopes aft and you can definitely open the cockpit lockers inside the tent on the BR20 - that was part of the design brief.

The poles used are these ones http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Gelert-Tent-Pole-Kit-7-9mm-x-4m-sku51406201.asp  For that price, I shall be buying a spare set!
Graham

Tony

« Reply #8 on: 01 Apr 2013, 17:37 »
Hi, Graham.
That looks like a good, tough bit of kit. Quite in keeping with the boat.
At nearly £690 it’s not exactly a cheap, throw-away one season item (putting the word "boat" in front of anything doubles its mark up!) but it’s a fair price if good quality materials and workmanship are involved – as would appear from the photographs.*
The fabric looks as if it would resist condensation – always a problem with the high humidity and sharp temperature difference between inside and outside of small tents.
I like the fact that you have space to set up a stove outside the tent – less fug and far safer.
Can the roll-up rear door be “pegged out” to the mizzen to act as a sunshade? The top of the door zip doesn’t appear to be reinforced to take the strain of such a manoeuvre so perhaps not a good idea.
In contrast:
You might have heard of “Jady Lane”, a converted Thames skiff often see at such places as Sea Fair Milford Haven? The owner uses a lo-tech approach, sleeping dry and happy under a couple of modified anglers umbrellas.  My sketch makes it look like a lash-up but it was eminently practical and erected and stowed away in seconds!

*Other photos show  a “Turtle shade” – a solution (as I thought) to too much Ionian UV - and what happened to the ribs after only one days use!  Poor quality materials?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 01 Apr 2013, 18:17 »
Hi Tony,

The tent material looks like one of those clever types that let moisture go in one direction only - out but not in.

I don't think the door is strong enough to be pegged out to the mizzen. If I need an extra sunshade (this seems unlikely) or more shelter, I have a small one of these that can be draped over my double topping-lifted boom http://www.cjmarine.co.uk/p/841/boom-awning
Graham