Author Topic: Any Experience With Mooring Cover - BR20?  (Read 9990 times)

detroit_rock_city

Any Experience With Mooring Cover - BR20?
« on: 13 Apr 2013, 22:17 »
Hello,

As boating season will come quickly to those of us in great white north, I am begining my preperations for launching my Bayraider.

Does anyone have any experience with a mooring cover?  Either from SB or another provider?

Any feedbak would be appreciated.

John

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Any Experience With Mooring Cover - BR20?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2013, 01:10 »
In the UK, I use one of these http://www.speedwellstar.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/196/s/boat-cover-18-20-foot-beam-width-90-blue-covers-speedboat-v-hull-dinghy/

It may not be worth buying anything more expensive - mice ate great holes in my Swallow Boats-supplied cover.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

david

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:11 »
Hi John
               I had Bill make a cover for me when I got the boat from him. Still working well for me. You could also find a local to make you a cover. I had a local canvas person make a few repairs for me and they did a nice job reasonably priced. Good winds. The weather has been tough out there the past week.
David
BR 20
NOMAD
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Colin Morley

« Reply #3 on: 08 Jun 2013, 06:32 »
A few weeks ago I bought the Swallow boats mooring cover. Initially I was a bit disappointed because it is just like a tent with open ends but I am delighted to say it works very well and is easy to put on the boat when on a mooring.

It does not go over the boom but has its own strong webbing along the top that fixes to the boom at one end and mizzen the other.

It would be possible to camp under it.
Colin
BR James Caird

Andy Dingle

« Reply #4 on: 08 Jun 2013, 12:36 »
On the subject of covers I am now on my fourth in five years so I now feel am something of an authority! Not mooring covers or mast up covers admittedly.

I have just got my latest from a local sail and cover maker, I stipulated that it must be strong enough for towing, withstanding a foot of snow and of course water proof.

Dan at www.sailregister.co.uk - 01469 589444 - measured and made this one up for me - photo's attached. Cost was just £250.

It is made of breathable waterproof material with added protection/strengthening pads sewn in inside over all the 'sharp' points. I recently towed my Bayraider to Morbihan and back without any problems at all. It is very strong with not only the webbing straps to keep it taught but also has a draw string to seal it tight around the boat. Others who have seen my cover agree it is of comparable quality, if not better, than the Swallow Boat one.

Dan is very amenable and would quite easily adapt the design for mast up or mooring I am sure. So if you are in the market for a cover (or sails), give Dan a ring/email - info@sailregister.co.uk

By the way, the grey bag in the picture is my new flying jib that Dan made up for me, loosely based on the Drascombe Lugger flying jib - very exciting so more of that later!

Cheers
Andy and Psalter BR20 No.12

Bill Rollo

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2013, 17:05 »
Dear Andy

Very interested in your cover. I spoke to Sail Register who were very helpful but said that unfortunately they had not taken a master on the cover that they made for you and that they cannot make any further covers without remeasuring on a boat. Did they have to do much adjustment on yours or did the cover fit like a glove from the start?

Best wishes

Bill Rollo

Andy Dingle

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2013, 17:41 »
Bill. I was under the impression that Dan had made a note of the measurements. Clearly not!

It won't be a problem for me to nip the boat back up to him to measure again, or even just take the cover for him to get the measurements off. I will give Dan a ring. However, I shall be out in the far east from tomorrow until the end of July so it won't be until then. I am very impressed with the cover so far. It is much better than any of the previous ones I've had. For your info he also makes them up in a vinyl (pvc?) material that comes in about a third cheaper.

I do know he is shortly moving to a newer, larger workshop so production may slow down then.
If you would like to email me on ketchpsalter at gmail dot com I will let you know.

Regards

Andy

Bill Rollo

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2013, 19:49 »
Andy

Many thanks. I'll do that.

Best wishes

Bill