Author Topic: Fun sail in 20+ winds  (Read 7819 times)

david

Fun sail in 20+ winds
« on: 28 Apr 2013, 17:08 »
Had a fun sail yesterday. Winds over 20 mph. Had a chance to really test out Jib and Mizzen sailing. I am sailing in San Diego back bay by the naval station. I filled the ballast and felt safe and in control during the entire time. The wind dropped to just gusts of 20 as I reached the bridge. I hoisted the full main and had a fun 6 knot run.
Why is it the waves never look quite as big in the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD39cnrjfxw
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Peter Cockerton

Re: Fun sail in 20+ winds
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2013, 20:50 »
David

Great video, provides some relief from the withdrawal symptoms when not sailing yourself, although it was only last Friday that myself and Andy Dingle spent 6 hours out in superb conditions on our local reservoir. The wind strength was only around F4 and no significant waves so no reefs and full tanks (the spinnaker was in a furled position just in case we felt we could manage it). The forecast got it wrong again and white horses became more frequent we reckon at least F5 and the gunwales were often being washed, a reef was called for. We decided to head in, take our lunch and put a reef in the main. Returning to the main body of the water and the full force of the wind again the furled spinnaker decided to unfurl partially and thrash around to the point that i had to try and drop it whilst Andy held her steady, in the end it was no big deal i just dropped the halyard slowly and grab the sail and stuffed it under the foredeck.

So the furling spinnaker idea is not completely without problems, need to think again on that one. We had a very exciting three hours sailing and once again made comments on the best money we had spent buying Bayraiders, even at one point considering if it was better than s*x it certainly lasts longer.

On return to the pontoon Andy was left to prepare the boat for recovery whilst i fetched the car and trailer, it was at that point that Andy said you know the tank we filled before we went out, well it's nearly empty, i had left one of the forward bailers open and at the 4- 6 knotts we were achieving the self bailer had done it's job. So F5 gusting F6 with one reef and no water ballast she still kept us safe.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard