Author Topic: Mooring cover  (Read 9054 times)

Colin Morley

Mooring cover
« on: 16 May 2013, 16:14 »
I would be grateful for help and advice. I have had a mast down trailing cover for my BR20 and now I have just purchased a new mooring cover from Swallow boats so I can leave it in a marina etc. However, I am not sure what is the optimum way to fit this. My questions are:
1. Is it designed to go over the boom or with the boom down?
2. If with the boom down how do we stop water collecting in it? It does not seem to have any place to put a tie to hold it up to the mast.
3. If over the boom is it with the boom horizontal or with the stern end down on the boat?
4. Should the spray hood be up or down?
5. If the spray hood is down and with the boom up there does not seem to be anything closing the front end.
6. What is the best way to fix it on the boat when on a mooring? Should I start at the back and work forward? Start at the front and work backward? Or start on one side?
7. What is the best place to finish fixing it and leave the boat?

Any detailed pictures of a BR20 with a mooring cover would be very useful
Colin
BR James Caird

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Mooring cover
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2013, 16:42 »
Colin,

If it's like mine (see photo below):

1.  Under the boom
2.  It should have webbing straps each end to secure it to the main and mizzen masts.  You could also try passing a line underneath the apex of the cover from mast to mast to get a nice horizontal ridge.  Make sure that you have quite a high ridge (as in the photo), which gives you enough tension to allow water to run off down the sides without collecting anywhere on the way
3.  N/A
4.  Sprayhood down
5.  Correct!  But since the BR20 is self draining, it doesn't matter and keeping it open stops condensation.  Mine survived head-on high winds and torrential rain in Pwllheli last year.  Hardly any rainwater had collected in the sump, even though it had all its bungs closed (ie it was not self draining)
6/7. I start with the masts, work aftwards from side to side and then leave from the stern, which is more stable
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Colin Morley

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2013, 17:31 »
Thank you. That is very helpful. These things are obvious when you know.

When fitting the stretchy to the rubbing strake I see you have one quite far forward. That looks a good idea. How do you fix the end of the stretchy to that? Where do you put the rear button to ensure the cover lies flat? You seem to have the stretchy round a button on the rubbing strake beneath the stay. However, that seems to me to be impossible, if you have the side prelaced and start with the cover inside the boat, because it will be on the inside of the stay.
Colin
BR James Caird

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2013, 18:38 »
I don't know if this (below) makes things any clearer.  I have a gap in the cover for the shroud and separate bungee cords either side of that gap.  The gap is closed up with a cord at the top (around the shroud) and with strong Velcro down the side. The furthest forward button is not that far forward - ignore the blue line, which is something to do with the spinnaker pole. The aftmost button is very close to the stern.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Colin Morley

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2013, 18:43 »
Thank you again. Now I have confidence to fit it.

Colin
BR James Caird