Author Topic: Thinking of a used Bayraider 20 - GRP or Epoxy ply?  (Read 8840 times)

gavinbailey

All,

I wondered if someone could help with some advice?

As above I'm thinking of a Bayraider 20 as I'm downsizing from a larger GRP cruiser, however I'm concerned about the maintenance of a wooden boat, albeit one made from Epoxy ply.

Can anyone help with comments on comparable maintenance between GRP and Epoxy ply and the likely lifespan of the ply models?

I ask as the majority for second-hand seem to be wooden and I'm haunted by images of rotting ply Mirror dinghys!

Any advice/views gratefully received.

Thanks,

Gavin.

Julian Swindell

Re: Thinking of a used Bayraider 20 - GRP or Epoxy ply?
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jun 2013, 20:54 »
I have an epoxy ply Baycruiser, and maintenance is not an issue at all. It is effectively wood reinforced epoxy resin. I prefer it over GRP because it seems stronger, and if it does get scratched or cracked (I am fairly rough on boats) it is very easy to repair. One of the benefits is that it has a painted finish, so there is no worry about gel coat repairs or matching colours. You just use the same paint as original for touch ups, and I tend to give an overall  new coat of paint every other year. I had a Mirror dinghy many years ago, and there is no comparison with modern epoxy ply. The wood is impregnated with an eopxy resin and water just doesn't get into it. Long term maintenence of GRP is likley to be more of an issue than with epoxy ply.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Michael Rogers

« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 2013, 22:24 »
Following on from Julian's comments (with which I agree), and leaving aside maintenance for a moment, an epoxy ply boat is significantly lighter, which makes for easier handling out of the water.

gavinbailey

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2013, 11:13 »
Julian, Michael,

My belated thanks for your responses.  Epoxy ply would seem the best option.

Regards,

Gavin.

Andy Dingle

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2013, 18:45 »
Gavin.

I have a wood epoxy BR - No. 12 since 2008 and am extremely pleased with her.

Although there wasn't an option of a GRP BR when I bought her, I think I would still have gone for the WE. As Julian says, maintenance and repairing the odd little (!) scratch is very easy. This winter I am planning to strip her down, sand and repaint her - not that there is any deterioration, after 5 years she just needs a little tidy up. She should then look like new, you try doing that with a GRP boat!
Unless you have professional skills, gel coat repairs are always quite noticeable. My boat too has the option of a striped mahogany decking, which to me looks far better than the GRP 'plasticky' look...
Moving her around on her trailer on the driveway at home is a lot easier than the GRP version, which is quite important for me - I live on the side of a hill.

I have quite a lot of experience in sailing both the WE and GRP and I couldn't really say one is better than the other, the GRP is heavier so maybe slightly more stable, but I will stick my neck out and say my WE boat maybe slightly faster..!

The WE is more expensive than the GRP versions and the waiting would be longer if you were buying new.
Whatever you choose, you will just love the BR, there is nothing else quite like it out there.

Good luck!

Andy BR12 'Psalter'