Author Topic: Bayraider Expedition vs Cornish Adventure 19  (Read 30973 times)

Andy Thompson

Re: Bayraider Expedition vs Cornish Adventure 19
« Reply #15 on: 09 Oct 2013, 16:27 »
Good choice Jonathan

I had a small spirit stove fitted on a removable plinth, in forward end of starboard locker, works well

Andy

PeterDT

« Reply #16 on: 09 Oct 2013, 19:43 »
Hello Jonathan,

I read the discussion too late to give any input before the big jump. But we made the same choice from the same alternatives last august. We now own the only BRe in the Netherlands, and have not regretted it for one second. Because the BRe is so easily rigged, we have used quite a few 3 to 5 hrs time slot for taking the boat out. And thanks to the the dinghy-like sailing qualities, it is even fun in light wind conditions. And i find it entertaining to play with the mizzen and jib. But you can easily leave the mizzen and mizzenmast at home, if you feel inclined. I must admit we sailed quite a lot without the mainsail, for more comfort for those aboard not used to sailing. Sailing upwind quite well without the main.
Wish you many fine sailing days
Peter

Jonathan Cuff

« Reply #17 on: 09 Oct 2013, 20:02 »
Thanks Andy. We ordered the BRe galley box with stove which, I think, is the same kind of thing. Don't fancy trying to 'cook' in the cabin!

Jonathan Cuff

« Reply #18 on: 09 Oct 2013, 22:16 »
Thanks Peter, beautiful photo. Although ordered we have plenty of time to discuss options before she goes in to build. Really looking forward to sailing her.

Peter Taylor

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2013, 10:33 »
Hi Jonathan,

For my BC20 which is presently being built I too ordered tan sails  (much to Matt's disgust, but he did say they don't show the blood!). The spray hood and boom bag colour is going to be a colour called "rust" (Matt's revenge?).  Like you I went for a white hull since the boat will be on the water throughout the year and hopefully white (with copper-coat anti-fouling) will weather better.  I'm hoping to have the boat in the next few weeks and will take photos as soon as I can to celebrate! I'll post them on the web so you will be able to see what the colour scheme looks like. Otherwise I'm in Southampton on the River Itchen if you want to see the colours in real life.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Jonathan Cuff

« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2013, 01:12 »
Thanks Peter, that will be really useful. Matt doesn't seem too keen on us ordering the boat with tan sails(!) due to the fully battened main but we kind of like the mix of traditional and modern that Swallow Boats offer. We spotted the rust in the colour choices last night and thought that would go well so we'll definitely keep an eye out on your website.
Afraid we live in the Cayman Islands (another reason for the white hull due to colour fading) so won't be able to view in person!
Cheers JC

Peter Taylor

« Reply #21 on: 21 Oct 2013, 17:11 »
Cayman Islands! ...and I was worrying about UV in Southampton!

Re. the tan sails, I think Matt wants to make sure his boats aren't mistaken for Drascombes!
Cheers,
Peter
Peter Taylor

Tony

« Reply #22 on: 21 Oct 2013, 22:41 »
..... we live in the Cayman Islands (another reason for the white hull due to colour fading)

Tan sails? They look great. I have 'em on "Four Sisters" and "Wabi", both rigged as balanced lug yawls. Both have been exposed to Mediterranean sun in August and both have faded in proportion to their exposure.
Have zipped sail covers made slightly oversized so you can cover your sails quickly - even for lunch stops - to avoid unsightly irregular streaks.

Confuse a BR 20 wth a Drascombe? It does happen.  (Some people might confuse a Maserati with a Mondeo, too. )
Both are good boats but the BR 20 raises the standard by a fair margin, I think you'll find!

Jonathan Cuff

« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2013, 17:02 »
Thanks guys we're sticking with tan and will opt for the "rust" sail cover which we're going to ask in the form of a stack pack so we can put the sails away quickly before we break out in a sweat!

Would agree that the Bayraider is essentially a modern Drascombe which is why we like the concept.

Peter Taylor

« Reply #24 on: 23 Dec 2013, 15:34 »
Finally my BC20 "Seatern" has arrived, here's a photo of the brand new tan sails and "rust" sail bag which is essentially the same colour! Matt actually said he now rather likes the tan sail colour!!!
Peter
Peter Taylor

Jonathan Cuff

« Reply #25 on: 27 Dec 2013, 19:40 »
Thanks Peter. She looks fantastic! Congrats on your new boat.