Author Topic: Swallow Boat Rally Ullswater 2014  (Read 38805 times)

Matthew P

Re: Swallow Boat Rally Ullswater 2014
« Reply #75 on: 19 May 2014, 13:59 »
I've posted a video on Youtube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqE3L77EAHg

The soundtrack is silent but astute viewers may be able to lip read what some of the sailors said - mostly "shiver-me-timbers".

I'd like to add a music track, I though "Cavatina" by John Williams would be appropriate considering how Michael's Cavatina performed so well but I cannot find this music track without copyright. 

I've also added some photos to the forum gallery.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys 
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

david

« Reply #76 on: 19 May 2014, 14:12 »
Nice video Matthew. Looks cold, but fun.  :)
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Steve Joyce

« Reply #77 on: 19 May 2014, 20:29 »
Excellent, Matthew. Glad you got some rare footage of a Storm 15 under sail.

Thanks for all the organising, it was a great weekend.

Steve
S15 Robin
Storm 15 "Robin"

Steve Joyce

« Reply #78 on: 19 May 2014, 20:39 »
Hi Michael, see you are on at the moment. Great pictures of you in Cavatina.
I am just proceeding with blocking up that outboard well. The plug I made fitted nicely, just a bit of sanding to do now, oh and also that little scrape!

Bad news though, Jotun only do paint in 5 L tins now. still it costs about the same as 750ml of International.

Did I see you were looking for an outboard? I have a hardly used, but not new, Yamaha F2.5 long shaft to find a new home for. Will probably post it in the boats for sale section.

Steve
Storm 15 "Robin"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #79 on: 19 May 2014, 20:54 »
Thanks, Matthew!

As always, I guess, photos and videos of these occasions tend not to show the most 'interesting' (i.e. hairiest) moments because those wielding the cameras have other things to do at such times - keeping the boat upright, the odd reef, avoiding dropping expensive kit into the water swilling around the boat (temporarily of course), protecting ditto from driving rain. So thanks to Matthew and the others for reminding those of us who were there how varied and 'interesting' and FUN it was: and nudging those not there to come next year. I would certainly do it again, Ullswater is beautiful and challenging.

Michael

Michael Rogers

« Reply #80 on: 22 May 2014, 19:24 »
Hallo again, Steve.

I realise I hadn't picked up on your kind comments - my apologies.

I must say I have enjoyed Matthew's action shots of Cavatina. Pity about the ancient mariner at the helm. I was recently given one of those baseball type caps with 'Old Sea Dog' on it. I suppose that about sums it up.

Jotun not less than 5 litres a punt?! That's ridiculous. I've a small amount of both the top-coats I used, plus enough (I hope) of the B compound (=hardener), for my likely touch-up etc needs. And I invested in a large pack of 10 ml syringes, which I use for accurate mixing of small amounts of both two-pot paint and West epoxy, for those small 'improvement' jobs around the boat. I'm out of Jotun epoxy primer, but I use West epoxy instead which, apart from having no colour in it (so about one extra coat of top-coat needed) seems to work well as a priming coat. But if I ever need to buy more - five litres!! Perish the thought/need.

An outboard? - thanks for thinking of me, but I'm holding out for a Torqeedo, when/if finances allow it (!). Probably irrational, but I don't fancy hanging a heavy, smelly i/c engine on the transom of my little boat (am I some sort of snob? No need to answer that).

I think we cross paths again at the Bala jolly in June? - look forward to it.

Michael

Steve Joyce

« Reply #81 on: 23 May 2014, 17:07 »
Thanks Michael,
I have decided to take advantage of the good weather and fit that plug to my o/b hole. 
The overall shape seems pretty good. Once I have done I am going to give it a coat of the Jotun vinylguard silvergrey 88 as a barrier coat and topcoat it with Rylard enamel. I had better get a move on as Bala not very far away.
The Hardtop Flexi is putting up a good fight to my sanding efforts. It takes a long time to get down to the primer,  as you say,  it's pretty tough!
I have half a tin on the Penguard HB primer and activator which you are welcome to if you want it as well as some white Hardtop Flexi should you fancy a stripe. I won't be using these now.
I can bring them to Bala for you if you like.
Maybe this should be in the home builders area.

Steve
Storm 15 "Robin"

Terry Cross

« Reply #82 on: 28 May 2014, 17:33 »
Many thanks to Mathew for an enjoyable  weekend , despite the weather.  I have now  fitted a spray hood to keep Steve dry.
Terry C    IONA

Steve Joyce

« Reply #83 on: 28 May 2014, 20:41 »
brilliant! I can leave the snorkel and flippers behind then.

Storm 15 "Robin"