Author Topic: Swallow Boat Rally Ullswater 2014  (Read 39888 times)

Matthew P

Re: Swallow Boat Rally Ullswater 2014
« Reply #45 on: 04 May 2014, 09:42 »
You are correct Gareth - the "bars on a gate" idea referred to in my post of 3rd May comes from your well organised and enjoyable Teifi Rally last year.  What a shame you cannot be with us at Ullswater next week. 

If anyone has further good ideas for Ullswater please let me know.  If you prefer your communication not to be public please use the forum message board or email me at: mpeacock at activeppp dot com.

Matthew
Gladys BR20
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Michael Rogers

« Reply #46 on: 04 May 2014, 19:04 »
I don't think you could be accused of over-organising us, Matthew! Anyway we could always include a keel-hauling session for anyone who steps out of line, perhaps following the MOB practice.

Come on, ditherers, come and join us! It's going to be great fun.

Michael

Paul Wearing

« Reply #47 on: 05 May 2014, 13:00 »
Hi Guys

We're planning on coming - me and John. We'll camp at Waterside - you'll see the tepee ;D. We'll get there Friday, not too late I hope.
I tried to book at ParkFoot but they don't take bookings - that said they don't have any large party bookings next weekend so we should all be ok.

Thanks to all of you who have put this together.

BR20 New Hope

Paul Wearing

« Reply #48 on: 05 May 2014, 13:03 »
Just remembered - can we/should we bring the outboard or is Ullswater, like Bala, a sail only lake?

Matthew P

« Reply #49 on: 05 May 2014, 13:32 »
Hi Paul. Outboard motors are permitted on Ullswater but speed is restricted to 10mph.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Paul Wearing

« Reply #50 on: 05 May 2014, 14:51 »
Thank you. If I rev mine right up while on a reach with a good wind in the sails, I could get a speeding ticket!  They have speed radar on Windemere  ;D

Steve Joyce

« Reply #51 on: 05 May 2014, 16:43 »
Hi Matthew, I have just spoken to parkfoot to book 2 places for next saturday evening. They said they were confused as to how many to expect. I guess they haven't tied up all of the individual bookings. I hazarded a guess that thee would be about 18 or so but that would not include any partners not indicated on your spreadsheet. It me be a good idea to have a roundup of those attending so we can give the an overall number.  I am happy to call them back if you wish.

The "Robin" party is two.

Glad that Terry is coming along. Will be good to compare the boats.

regards

Steve
Storm 15 "Robin"

Matthew P

« Reply #52 on: 05 May 2014, 19:02 »
I am guessing about 10 boats may be at Ullswater.  The current attendance list is attached with my current information - please let me know if I need to add or delete anything.  We may have some prospective Swallow Boat owners, so spare crew may be available without a press gang.  And we'll have less talk of keel-hauling please Michael. 

As Steve has pointed out, Parkfoot Restaurant need approximate numbers for Saturday evening.  I have told them to expect between 20 and 30 but it would be nice to be more exact.  Please make sure you phone them to book your place - unless you have a romantic assignation at the Sharrow Bay Hotel of course.

Matthew
Gladys BR20

Steve Joyce

« Reply #53 on: 06 May 2014, 15:40 »
Thanks Matthew.  "another" is Karen.

Regards

Steve
Storm 15 "Robin"

Matthew P

« Reply #54 on: 06 May 2014, 17:33 »
Hi Steve, Karen is now on the list plus Paul and John with BR20 New Hope. 

Matthew

Helen and Chris

« Reply #55 on: 07 May 2014, 12:14 »
Hi Matthew,

We also intend to eat at Parkfoot with you all on Saturday night.  I have just rung them but the lady I spoke to didn't know anything about the group booking - I guess it depends who answers the phone.  We plan on arriving late afternoon on Friday and have booked the campsite.

Helen & Chris

Matthew P

« Reply #56 on: 07 May 2014, 14:07 »
Hello Helen.  ParkFoot staff are quite relaxed, I have spoken to Mark at ParkFoot who knows what is happening.

Matthew

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #57 on: 07 May 2014, 21:00 »
Participants may find the attached chart useful.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

david

« Reply #58 on: 08 May 2014, 02:31 »
Wow Graham. A map from 1893! My local lake is 20 years old! No soundings mapped that I could find. The nice lady in the bait shop stated that " the lake is mostly really deep!". My reply was " thank you. But it is normally the shallow bits that make me nervous".

David
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Tony

« Reply #59 on: 08 May 2014, 13:16 »
I'm going to have to miss the Ullswater do this week end. The boat is not up to it, I'm afraid. The owner ain't so bad these days - but I haven't got a split in my hull. Least ways I didn't last time I looked.

Thanks for the chart - sorry- Map, Graham. A Bartholomew's One inch to the mile, is it? The 1900 font and coloured topography brought back memories of ill-equipped  teenage weekends up Kinder Scout with one of they.
We got caught up there in low cloud on one occasion - no compass, of course - and nearly walked off one of the Tors at Grinds Brook. We were soaked to the skin and found refuge in the Nags Head but got ourselves thrown out (once dried off and chastised by the barmaid) for being underage and too stupid not to act like it!   
Four lessons learned in one day: 1. A map is no good without a compass and someone who knows how to use it. 2. Falling into a peat hag is amusing for the audience but not the participants. 3. Keep dry! Hypothermia makes you do dangerous things. 4. The tolerance of Derbyshire barmaids has limits so don't push your luck!