Author Topic: Swallow Boat Rally Ullswater 2014  (Read 38954 times)

Tim Riley

Re: Swallow Boat Rally Ullswater 2014
« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2013, 21:53 »
Matthew,
Rain is just a state of mind! I will hope to see you there.
Tim
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron

Matthew P

« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2013, 18:37 »
It will be good to have your company Tim. I agree rain is a state of mind and  as we will be in the Lake District at the start of summer sailing season we might almost hope for "Warm Winds and Gentle Rain":

"The buds of spring are a beginning
for the green leaves of summer
and the sparkling colours
that will soon greet our eyes.
The warm winds and gentle rains
will remove the harshness of winter’s gloom
and help the birth of new flowers blooms.
We’ll leave behind the long darkness
as we wake to days of summer’s sun.
The feelings of goodness
will inherit the heart
and smiles will ring out
with the warmth of colours
that will greet our eyes."

Warm Winds And Gentle Rains by David Harris 2009

See you there!

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Steve Joyce

« Reply #17 on: 26 Sep 2013, 21:08 »
For the past few years the weather has been better here in April and May than June and July (this year has been the odd one out).

I should be able to make this, just got to either get a tow bar for the camper van or find my tent.

Storm 15 "Robin"

Alistair L

« Reply #18 on: 05 Dec 2013, 21:58 »
I'm always up for a trip to Ullswater - I agree that, from a base at the Pooley Bridge end of the lake it normally works out to be a beat up to Glenridding and then a nice run home.  I was up there last weekend cycling and look forward to being up there again with the boat.  I was there with the Bayraider in May this year and camped and launched at Park Foot campsite.  I used to stay at Waterside but I think Park Foot, which is between Waterside and Pooley Bridge offers several advantages in addition to being a significantly shorter walk to the pub at Pooley.

The launching beach shelves nicely and the water gets deeper reasonably quickly.  There are also several moorings nearby which may well be vacant in May for overnight use - see buoys in photo.  At Waterside, as I recall, it is rather shallow for a long way out.  Also, at Park Foot there is a handy area near the beach to rig boats, park cars and trailers, etc.  The lake side camping field is very large which makes it's easy when you're arriving with a 20' boat attached.

The cost of launching is very reasonable, I think it adds about £2.50 if you're camping - maybe a bit more if you're staying somewhere else.  I see that at Glenridding Sailing Centre it's at least £20 per day!

The camping facilities at Park Foot are excellent and extensive, although early in the season the wash rooms on the lakeside field may or may not be open (in which case it is necessary to cross the road to the main site).  I think there are also log cabins to rent if you don't fancy camping alternatively there's accommodation in Pooley Bridge which is only a short walk along the lakeside. 

Anyway, there's my pitch for Park Foot.  I should have carried out lots of mods to the boat by then and will be dying to try them out!

I've also posted a couple of photos:

The first one shows the launch area (dead ahead) with the area for prepping boats and parking trailers, etc, on the right through the gate.

The second is a closer shot of the launch spot.

The third is a general view of the camping area.

Matthew P

« Reply #19 on: 06 Dec 2013, 17:38 »
Thanks Alistair for your helpful observations regarding Park Foot and Waterside Farm. 

Park Foot certainly seems to have many advantages. It is some years since I camped and sailed on Ullswater, so I am visiting Park Foot and Waterside Farm in February to check details and availability and then I will let everyone know the outcome and on this forum.

Has anyone got suggestions for a cheery pub/restaurant near Pooley Bridge (ideally within staggering distance of Parkside) that I can book, for perhaps 10-20 people, on the Saturday evening?

Matthew

Rory C

« Reply #20 on: 21 Jan 2014, 21:58 »
I am hoping to join the rally with my BR20e still in the pipeline but promised in time for Sail Caledonia. Talking to Matt at the Show, he was confident that it would be ready by the end of April (this year - sorry- I've been following some other recent posts!). Ullswater would be a great chance to have trial and perhaps glean tips from other Swallow owners.
It's nearly 40 years since I last joined a Wayfarer rally on Ullswater. Does one need any form of licence or permission to take to the water there?

Matthew P

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan 2014, 10:22 »
Hi Rory, great to have you along. I expect there will be a least one other BR20e  (Reg, are you still able to come?).  Even if your new boat is not ready (but we hope it is) I am sure you will be welcome to try other boats.

No special permissions are required to sail on Ullswater but  I need to check access for launching, which I will do when visiting the Lakes in a couple of weeks.  I'll update everyone after that.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

david

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2014, 16:40 »
Hi Mathew,
                   If you can at Ullswater Mathew. A nice video, like the one you did a Bala, would be great. It lets me sail with the group vicariously. Most enjoyable. Afraid I can be there in spirit only! I am not planning any overseas trips this year.
(Same goes for Bala also).

Thanks,

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Matthew P

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2014, 22:24 »
Hi Mathew,
                   If you can at Ullswater Mathew. A nice video, like the one you did a Bala, would be great. It lets me sail with the group vicariously. Most enjoyable. Afraid I can be there in spirit only! I am not planning any overseas trips this year.
(Same goes for Bala also).

Thanks,

David.

Hello David

I'll do my best but I hope steadier hands in other boats will add interesting content too.

Glad to have you along in spirit, may ask what you sail and where? Perhaps you could reciprocate with footage from your local waters.

Regards

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

david

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jan 2014, 00:34 »
Hi Mathew,
                   Your video was great. No shakey hands that I could detect  ;D
I have a BayRaider 20, which I sail off the coast of California. Usually, I sail out of Oceanside or San Diego.
  I am using "You Tube" as a kind of video diary and you can find my videos at SwallowBoatstheNomad on you tube. Its nice as I am able to relive previous sailing adventures when I am not able to get out!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxHS26sgmm8Xu9KhKeIw1ug

Fair winds,

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Alistair L

« Reply #25 on: 03 Feb 2014, 22:00 »
Matthew

Reference a nice pub in Pooley Bridge - I'd suggest you have a beer in the Sun Inn and see what you think - I thought it was the best last time I was there.  What used to be called the Swiss Chalet was undergoing refurbishment - I think it might be going v.posh. 
Have a good weekend.

Alistair

Matthew P

« Reply #26 on: 20 Feb 2014, 13:43 »
I visited Ullswater last weekend and have compared Parkfoot Caravan & Camping Park versus Waterside Farm on the sheet attached.   

In summary, Parkfoot Caravan & Camping Park, has many facilities but the launching and beaching area is small, about 100 mtrs away from the campsite and not easily visible.  Waterside Farm is more basic and 1/2 mile further from Pooley Bridge but has more easily accessible slipways and bigger beaches right next to the camping area.  Both Parkfoot and Waterside will reserve camping areas dedicated to Swallowboats.

My preference is Waterside Farm but others may prefer Parkfoot (let’s not start quoting Latin re. differences of taste or even impossible Greek).  I suggest individuals camp/B&B/hotel wherever they choose but meet on the water or the beach alongside Waterside Farm, where there is plenty of room, at 10am on Saturday. 

Please book your own camping/B&B/hotel but let me know who/what/when/where before the rally.  Campsite contact details are on the sheet attached.  Please let the campsite know you are taking part in the Swallowboat Rally and ask them to allocate you a place in a reserved area.

I inquired about a Saturday night meal at the Sun Inn at Pooley Bridge – about 1 to 2 miles from the campsites.  The person I spoke to was uninspiring - they could do a meal for up to 30 people (maybe not enough places?) at about £15/head.  A summer menu was not available but judging from the winter menu it seems fairly standard pub food.  Alternatively the Parkfoot C&C Restaurant was more amenable and can take over 40 people in one area, is open to non-residents, and is in easy walking distance to both Waterside farm and Parkfoot campsite areas.  The food on offer is basic steaks/pizza/beefburgers £8-£15 a main course.   I suggest we book tables at the Parkfoot Restaurant.  Comments please.

Please let me know your plans - here or I can be emailed directly at peacockhope at gmail dot com

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Michael Rogers

« Reply #27 on: 20 Feb 2014, 17:43 »
I can't remember how what your gainful employment is, Matthew, but Efficiency is clearly part of it! Thank you for going to all that trouble. Both sound OK to me (I won't be camping), but I think the launching facilities at Waterside probably swing it? I'm happy with that, and the meal at Parkfoot.

I'll organise my own B&B. I won't be able to come up on Friday, so if I haven't arrived by the time the Armada sails on Sat am (I'll make an early start!), I'll catch you up down the lake (does the arrogance of the man know no bounds?).

Looking forward to it.

Michael

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 20 Feb 2014, 19:10 »
I agree with Michael on all counts. I'll be in a b&b too.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

garethrow

« Reply #29 on: 21 Feb 2014, 20:33 »
Sounds good Matthew

Regret that I have to be at work that W/E so won't be able to come. I am suitably envious

Regards

Gareth