Author Topic: Swallow Boat Rally Ullswater 2014  (Read 38865 times)

Rory C

Re: Swallow Boat Rally Ullswater 2014
« Reply #30 on: 22 Feb 2014, 20:49 »
Many thanks for the recce.
Matt has assured me that my expedition will be ready in plenty of time so Mary and I are looking forward to lake trials. We have booked to stay in a B&B in Pooley Bridge and look forward to meeting you all at Waterside Park and the evening meal at PC&C.

Alistair L

« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 2014, 20:19 »
Matthew
Many thanks for the thorough recce.   I'll be camping - I don't know if I can resist the car wash!

Alistair
BR20  032

Helen and Chris

« Reply #32 on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:51 »
Matthew,

Many thanks for all your organisation, we would love to join you all for a weekend in the Lakes.

We are also taking part in Sail Caledonia and like your idea of using Ullswater as a staging post. Are you still thinking of doing this and, if so, do you have any plans yet for boat storage?

Helen

BRe Skylark

Matthew P

« Reply #33 on: 28 Feb 2014, 20:34 »
Re:  Boat Storage, both Parkfoot and Waterside will store boats for a couple of weeks, and at similar cost (£50 for 2 weeks) but both at owners risk.  The storage area at Parkfoot in my opinion is rather remote from the main buildings and out of sight but still accessible to passers-by.  Boats at Waterside Farm will be closer to the main buildings and are likely to be more visible and so possibly more secure.  Many years ago I used to store my Drascombe Coaster at Waterside Farm and never had a problem but of course I left it well covered up with no valuables on it and the trailer wheel-clamped.  I'll probably leave my boat at Waterside Farm ready to pick-up en-route to Sail Caledonia 2 weeks later.

Thanks you for your responses so far to Michael, Graham, Rory & Mary, Alistair, Helen & Chris.  I am sorry you cannot make it Gareth - I hope your work is not too onerous.  I'll raise a summary sheet of who is staying where and doing what and with what boat in a couple of days.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Helen and Chris

« Reply #34 on: 01 Mar 2014, 15:43 »
Thanks for the information Matthew.

We plan to arrive on the Friday evening and will be staying at Waterside in a campervan.

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Helen

BRe Skylark

Matthew P

« Reply #35 on: 05 Mar 2014, 22:14 »
Attached is my current information on who is attending.  Please confirm your details via this forum or privately if you wish by either email to matthew.L.peacock at gmail dot com or via the forum message system.   

Also attached is the Campsite Comparison list with contact details for campsites and restaurant.  Please see my posting on 20th Feb on this thread for explanation if required.

Thanks

Matthew Peacock
BR20 Gladys

Steve Joyce

« Reply #36 on: 09 Mar 2014, 10:51 »
I Matthew,  thanks for all your efforts organising this. 
I will be going along and have booked up at Waterside for Friday/Sat, and will be booking a place in the Parkfoot restaurant for saturday evening. My wife will also come along although she doesn't sail.
Having no pretensions of even keeping with, let alone catching up a load of BRs with experienced crews,  I will be happy to wait for Michael & Cavatina.
Now I just need to get a towbar on our campervan or I will just be watching from the shore!

Steve
Storm15 - Robin
Storm 15 "Robin"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #37 on: 09 Mar 2014, 23:03 »
Steve, I've probably opened my mouth and put my foot in it, otherwise known as showing off. Reprehensible, and I'll get my come-uppance I'm sure. One thing I'm certain of is that if we have light winds on Ullswater in May, it will definitely be you waiting for me. For two reasons: first, because my experience of Storm 15s is that they have amazing, sneaky performance in light winds, especially going to windward (I wonder why). Secondly, conversely Fs 1- 2 1/2 are junk rig's worst conditions: it needs a reasonable blow really to go.

But hey, whatever, I'm sure we'll have a great time regardless. Looking forward to meeting you both in May at Ullswater.

Michael

Steve Joyce

« Reply #38 on: 27 Mar 2014, 15:16 »
Look forward to meeting everybody too.  My campervan is now fully equipped,  so will not be stranded on the shore!

Storm 15 "Robin"

Simon Reeve

« Reply #39 on: 15 Apr 2014, 22:00 »
Matthew,

I regret that i am no-longer able to make this weekend. Several conflicts at this time but the major one being my son's GCSE's starting in earnest earlier than expected, immediately after this weekend. So 1, I lose a crew member; 2, can't justify being away rather than assisting with revision; 3, can't convince that effective revision and preparation will be done whilst travelling 4 to 5 hours each way/camping/sailing!

I hope you have a great time and maybe i can join the next one.

For those that will be at the Rutland Rally I will see you there.

Simon

Matthew P

« Reply #40 on: 21 Apr 2014, 22:46 »
Hi Simon, thanks for keeping me informed. Good luck to your son with his GCSEs and at least we'll see you at Rutland.

The current good weather may have increased campsite bookings, so may I suggest that anyone wishing to attend stake their claim to a camping spot and Saturday night dinner soon.  Campsite details are attached again here if you need them.

Matthew

Terry Cross

« Reply #41 on: 30 Apr 2014, 16:15 »
Hi Mathew
Sorry for the late booking. I trust you have room for A Storm 15
I hope to leave "IONA" at Waterside or Pakfoot on Friday. Which is the best?
Regards Terry Cross

Matthew P

« Reply #42 on: 30 Apr 2014, 16:54 »
Hi Terry, I am delighted you will be joining us.  I am hoping Robin, another  Storm 15,will be with us too.

In my opinion Waterside is the better place to leave boats because weekday storage is closer to an active area at the back of the farm buildings whereas at Park Foot they would be in a remote field where unwanted interference less likely to be seen. Storage at both sites is at owners risk and costs are similar.

Would anyone else coming please book there places directly with the campsite and for Sat dinner at Parkfoot and also let me know.  For details please see the campsite comparison that I attached to my post on this thread in February.

Matthew
BR 20 Gladys

Matthew P

« Reply #43 on: 03 May 2014, 10:12 »
Just a week to go before the Ullswater rally and so far four BR20s and two Storm 15s plus the delightful Cavatina are confirmed.  It’s never not too late for more! Please let me know if you are or might be coming.

Attached is a map of Ullswater showing Waterside and Parkfoot at the North end and Glenridding at the South.

From individual discussions at the excellent Rutland meeting a sail-in-company (which some may treat as a race) commencing 10.30am from Waterside Farm and ending on the beach just beyond the steamer pier at Glenridding might be popular.  So that the Bayraiders don’t have it all their own way I suggest that the Bayraider crews only might be “handicapped” by landing to the beach at Howtown to find out the number of bars on a gate or similar useless information from the shore.  First to arrive at Glenridding buys everyone else ice-creams.  Mine’s a Mr Whippy 99 Flake please. Then picnic lunch on Glenrridding beach and, hopefully, a leisurely sail down-wind back to Waterside.

Everyone is welcome to join the Saturday evening meal at the Park Foot restaurant – please phone and book your seats directly with the Restaurant tel 017684 86309 and mention you are with the Swallow Boats party.  The food is less refined than at Rutland but the restaurant and bar are within walking distance of both Waterside and Park Foot campsites – probably Pooley Bridge too if that is where you are staying.

Some time ago a practical man-over-board recovery trial was mooted on the forum.  Maybe we could do this on Sunday morning. I’ll take my dry-suit.

If anyone has other ideas or feels this smacks of over-organisation, then please say. 

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

garethrow

« Reply #44 on: 03 May 2014, 18:08 »
Hi Matthew

Sorry I can't come to Ulswater - work commitments next W/E. Do I spot some Teifi Rally tactics creeping in to your agenda - re number of bars on a gate!?

Regards

Gareth