Author Topic: The English Raid 2013, on the Norfolk Broads  (Read 5382 times)

Michael Rogers

The English Raid 2013, on the Norfolk Broads
« on: 12 Aug 2013, 21:52 »
I didn't clear this reporting with Helen and Chris Ash, whose beautiful Skylark (BRe), together with my Cavatina (T12), were the only Swallowboats on the Raid this year: I hope they don't mind me having first go, and will give their own impressions as well if they wish to.

The Raid fleet was 18 very varied boats, including 2 Ness Yawls; a Drascombe; a White Boat (a classic local one design with gunter rig); a traditional Broads yacht, also gunter rigged; a Norfolk Punt rejoicing in the name of Prawn (NPs are extraordinary boats derived from 19th cent hunting punts. They are about 20 ft long with 4 1/2 ft beam, double ended with 4 ins freeboard and steeply cambered decks. Prawn is a 1918 classic with low aspect gunter rig and original bamboo boom and gaff. Modern NPs have 30 ft CF masts and double trapezes); Molly, Geoff Probert's restored naval whaler with a crew of about 8 'galley slaves' for rowing, and plenty of sail area; a Mirror dinghy; and a gorgeous little 15 ft Grundel, called Huibertje, from Holland.

The Norfolk Broads (two river systems which join at Great Yarmouth: we sailed on the northern Broads only) are extraordinary. You can drive through Norfolk with no awareness that they are there, apart perhaps from an occasional glimpses of boats moored in a river or at a staithe. From a boat on a river or broad, they are huge areas of water, often lined with reed beds which shut out the 'other world', and teeming with wild life - water birds, marsh harriers, green woodpeckers, fish, otters, dragonflies, butterflies...., surprisingly large numbers of sailing boats and a handful of thriving sailing clubs, and even more motor cruisers.

We sailed on Barton, Hickling, Horsey and Wroxham Broads where, given enough wind, exhilarating sailing was on offer; and on the connecting rivers and dykes, which are often tree lined and where the wind does funny things, resulting in lots of rowing experiences (the two supporting RIBs gave discrete towing assistance to maintain 'schedules' and keep the fleet sort-of together). We had sailing and rowing races, excellent picnic lunches, and enjoyable evening meals in pubs and sailing clubs, all very hospitable.
Minibuses, driven by our 'hosts' Neville and Val Khambatta, joined up the end of one day and the beginning of the next. It only rained part of one morning. We could have done with more wind on some days. Each day was very long, and we all felt very well 'exercised'!

The whole raid was organised with great efficiency and an enviably light touch by Val and Neville, who love the Broads and communicated this with enthusiasm and humour to us raiders. Sailing on the wide broads was great. Navigating the rivers is an acquired art, requiring special skills, and is also, I suspect, something of an acquired taste. But it was all enormous fun, I'm glad I went, and all of you who didn't missed a great watery experience.

Michael (and Cavatina)

Michael Rogers

Re: The English Raid 2013, on the Norfolk Broads
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2013, 10:55 »
1)   There are photos of the Raid at       http://www.raidengland.org/?page_id=545     There were plenty of cameras in use, so expect more photos in due course.

2)   A personal note - folks may have seen that a requirement for the 2013 Raid was being able to get the mast down quickly. I decided not to let on that DOWN quickly wasn't an issue, but that UP ditto probably was. (This was my one remaining headache with my junk rig.) And so it came to pass. We had to go under Ludham bridge on Day 1, under Potter Heigham bridges - there are two, ancient and modern, both low - on Day 3, and back under the PH bridges on Day 4.

Ludham resulted in tangled running lines, which took me an hour to sort-of un-tiddle, and made a long day even longer. For PH first time I worked out at last how to avoid a cat's cradle. And PH second time went so smoothly I couldn't believe it. Incidentally, everyone was sympathetically interested, and the support RIB folks endlessly patient.

So, on top of 4 days of interesting sailing/rowing in attractive surroundings with lovely people, I cracked my remaining intractable dinghy-JR problem. Can't be bad!!

Michael