Author Topic: Whither Seacoat?  (Read 8097 times)

Michael Rogers

Whither Seacoat?
« on: 16 Sep 2013, 19:51 »
Has anyone else used, and does anyone know what has happened to, Seacoat?

It's a one-pot, clear, glossy, varnish-like (in appearance, not chemistry) finish, which I've used throughout on my Trouper where such-like is needed (gunwales and seat slats, spars, and even on aluminium battens). It was favourably reviewed ("It must be good, even the advertisements speak well of it'), by a professional boat builder, in Water Craft - I haven't yet tracked down the relevant back-number about 2 years ago. There was a website angled at yacht and small-boat owners (there is another website adorned with huge speed boats and naval vessels, implying involvement in high tech matters), one could order on line, and my orders were promptly dealt with. I had an e-mail correspondence with a helpful bloke, because my biggest problem with the stuff was getting the bally tin open! It really was like the famous bit in 'Three Men in a Boat' and I could have done with a tin opener. Anyway, so far so very good on the boat, although it is relatively early days. It seems to be very hard wearing, and looks good.

However the small-boat website has disappeared, and I can't track it or them down. I haven't seen any adverts, even one indicating a name change. I fear they're out of business, which is a nuisance, because, although I've got some left, it's shelf life won't be indefinite, and touching up etc will become an issue at some stage. I have no idea whether another kind of finish would cope on top of it.

If anyone knows anything relevant, please ring Whitehall 1212 - I mean, please share it here. Thanks, I'd be very grateful.

Michael       Cavatina  (Trouper 12)