Author Topic: main sail travel track coming off the mast  (Read 8638 times)

adel11252

main sail travel track coming off the mast
« on: 28 Sep 2013, 19:33 »
The upper section of the travel track for the main sail is off the mast. Apparently it is an adhesive epoxy failure. Has any one faced this problem?  Will fixing it with this adhesive again gurantee that it wont happen again while sailing. Any response would be appreciated.

Matt Newland

Re: main sail travel track coming off the mast
« Reply #1 on: 01 Oct 2013, 09:58 »
This problem has happened to three boats in quick succession, having hever happened on 50 plus boats prior to this, using this adhesive.
The alloy track is bonded to the back face of the carbon one piece masts using Plexus structural adhesive which is a methacrylate specifically designed for this this sort of bond. We have traced the problem back to uneven mixing by the two part system prior to setting. We have fixed the other two boats with this problem and are working with Adel to fix his.
I have every confidence in the quality of the Plexus MA425 adhesive although we do not share the same enthusiasm for the mixing nozzles that they provide which do not always give a consistent mix. However, the colour of the mixed adhesive gives a clear indication whether or not it is mixed correctly and we now check this very carefully prior to gluing up. We have raised our concerns re the mixing nozzles with Plexus.
Best wishes,
Matt

tcave

Re: main sail travel track coming off the mast
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2021, 15:15 »
My BRe from 2015 lower section of the mast track has come unstuck from the mast. I think it was due to sheeting the main tight with the sail down to keep the boom central. I’ve ordered some plexus MA425 and plan to stick track on mast.

Any advice on how to prep and use plexus for best results much appreciated.