Author Topic: Torqeedo and the BR outboard well problem  (Read 16272 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Torqeedo and the BR outboard well problem
« on: 26 Nov 2013, 23:00 »
I was told at the Southampton Boat Show this year that Torqeedo was going to announce a pop-up version of one of their smaller electric outboards.  This, it was claimed, might solve the problem of their short shaft versions still being too long to tilt up into the BR20 outboard well.  It now appears that this is not going to happen any time soon - apparently Torqeedo have decided to concentrate their resources instead on their newly-announced inboard electric motor.

So those of us sailing in places that don't allow petrol outboards (Lake Bala for one) will have to modify one of the existing range in a way that invalidates the warranty. Or just keep on rowing.

Incidentally, Peter Taylor's excellent library article on how to modify a Torqeedo 1003s http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=820 is used as a reference source by Torqeedo's own agents in the UK.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Torqeedo and the BR outboard well problem
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2013, 21:03 »
Necessity is the mother of invention, as my old granny used to say*, and I definitely need an electric motor on Bala next year. That being the case, I may have a solution to the BR engine well tilting problem that does not involve chopping the Torqeedo about.  If it works (and I really hope it does), I'll report back with photos early next year.

I mostly sail in places with little or no current (lakes, lochs, the south Lleyn coast and the Ionian) and rarely have to motor long distances, so electricity would work well for me.  If you regularly have to motor long distances against a short chop or battle against estuarine tides, I can understand that it might be better staying with petrol outboards.

* She also used to say of a neighbour that she thinks her body's every self 'cos her mother's got a mangle. Also (very wise this one, what with the imminence of the new year sales) that you can spend a fortune saving money.
Graham

Peter Taylor

« Reply #2 on: 02 Dec 2013, 20:00 »
Perhaps it's worth pointing out that the only bit you actually have to "chop about" is the fairing which encloses the shaft. Having slid the inner stainless tube up in the bracket, you have to shorten the fairing to fit. Without the fairing the motor tends to vibrate due to eddy shedding behind the remaining, circular shaft. So it's worth having some sort of fairing unless you are only going to go very slowly.

However if you made your own fairing (a shaped bit of ply or maybe use a bit of old dinghy mast), you could put the Torqeedo fairing on one side without altering it. The motor could be reassembled in its original configuration if it had to be returned under warrantee. And for a reasonable recompense, the rest of us wouldn't tell Torqeedo what you'd done!

Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 08 Dec 2013, 20:54 »
According to a preview of the Torqeedo 2014 brochure (possibly posted in error and since taken down), they are bringing out Torq Trac, described as a "Smartphone app with improved onboard computer functions.  Suitable for Travel 503/1003, Ultralight, Cruise R and Cruise T models. Including data cable with bluetooth module to connect outboard and Smartphone".

From the brochure photos (see the attached), it looks quite nifty although knowing Torqeedo, it will probably cost more than the Smartphone on which it runs. A new fast(er) mains charger is also in the offing.

You heard it here first!
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2013, 13:23 »

knowing Torqeedo, it will probably cost more than the Smartphone on which it runs.

German RRP €129.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2014, 17:02 »
I have managed to shoehorn a Torqeedo 1003 into my BR20 without modifying the engine.  The trick is to have an extra bit of transom mounted on a pair of hatch hinges http://www.baselinemarine.com/shopexd.asp?id=4604  To tilt, simply tilt the whole transom extension forward on its hinges (not using the motor tilt mechanism) and the Torqeedo propeller clears the back of the well opening - just!  It is usually necessary to fish around with the position of the propeller (one blade straight up, the other down) to slide it up through the lamellae but otherwise it works well. The arms of the hatch hinges move the motor forward when it is tilted - using normal hinges would necessitate a higher transom extension.

The motor's battery can be kept in place when tilted as the back clears the underside of the tiller even when in the straight ahead position - but only just.  The back of the battery easily clears the rudder stock when the motor is untilted. Photos below.

Because the hatch hinges can easily be taken apart, I can revert to a normal transom if I want to use my Mariner 6hp, although I think this is unlikely - we'll see.  I shall now happily dispose of my Suzuki 2.5.

Graham

Peter Taylor

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2014, 15:30 »
I wish I'd thought of that! I might see if the same would work for the geometry of my BC20. Using the propeller at it's design depth might improve the power (wishful thinking?!). At the moment I'm finding the torqeedo struggles to push my BC20 at more than 3 knots. Do you have to lock the extra bit of transom in place in order to use reverse?

Btw, I've found a long handled wooden salad fork excellent for realigning the propeller blades, although usually just giving a jerk on the motor as you raise it does the trick! The salad fork also doubles for getting debris out of the centreboard case.

Peter
Peter Taylor

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2014, 09:58 »
Do you have to lock the extra bit of transom in place in order to use reverse?

I have installed an eccentric latch on the aft face to lock the transom extension in the upright position to the original transom.

Btw, I've found a long handled wooden salad fork excellent for realigning the propeller blades

I shall raid the kitchen drawer! I have made a wooden infill to fit over the top of the lamellae which makes the latter somewhat redundant. I'm considering cutting out the lamellae strips that most get in the way of raising the propeller. The foot of the tilted motor rests on top of the infill and holds it in place.
Graham

Peter Taylor

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2014, 14:06 »
Torqeedo propeller tool (patent applied for)!
Peter Taylor

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 01 Apr 2014, 12:07 »
I tried out the whole caboodle on Bala yesterday and am pleased with the results.  I even took along a spare 28v electric bike battery for charging on the go but forgot to take the connectors and step up controller, so was wholly reliant on the single Torqeedo battery for power.

I covered nearly 6nm at an average speed of 2.4 knots (including a bit of faffing about).  I got it up to just under 5 knots at the start (which doesn't show up on the chart below) but then settled back to around 3 knots to conserve power.  The controller gives plenty of warning of low battery and I had just enough to get home.  With a spare charger apparatus on board, I would have been happy to go faster.

All in all, an excellent replacement for the small Suzuki, which in any case isn't allowed on Bala.  For longer journeys in difficult sea conditions, I would still want to use a bigger petrol outboard.
Graham

Michael Rogers

« Reply #10 on: 02 Apr 2014, 16:30 »
Graham, I'm interested in your Torqeedo trials (and tribulations?), because I hope to invest in one before the end of the season, for my Trouper.

I'm particularly interested in your Feb pictures, homing in on the clamping-onto-the-boat arrangements. Rather than explain my boat in detail here and ask you for various measurements (I looked at the technical drawings on the Torqeedo website but, being a bear of minimal technical brain, couldn't entirely work them out), it would be much better if I could pick your brains and experience when we next meet with our boats - at Ullswater in May? assuming you will have your Torqeedo with you.

I should think your boat takes a bit of pushing along compared with mine, so the range you achieved is quite reassuring.

Michael

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 02 Apr 2014, 17:37 »
Michael,

Yes, I'll definitely be bringing the Torqeedo and various on board charging accessories to Ullswater.

I think the range would have been better if I hadn't taken the boat up to full speed, which is about 5 knots.  The battery gauge dropped quickly while I was doing this. My BR20 with its windage and hull size would be much harder to push along than your Trouper.

I have a small inflatable and may try the Torqeedo on that too. It should zip along!
Graham

david

« Reply #12 on: 05 Apr 2014, 17:20 »
Nice creative solution Graham. How did you get the wood color to match so well? Do you have a lot number and manufacturer you can share?
David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 05 Apr 2014, 21:52 »
David,

I asked Matt to supply me a piece of 38mm thick wood that matches what SB use for the outboard transom, measuring 75mm high x 400mm long.  400mm is just long enough to overlap the sides of the outboard well at the back. Apparently the wood is Sapele, an African hardwood.

I then coated it in wood stain to match, which is this stuff http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003Y3XH3W/ref=pe_217191_31005151_3p_M3T1_dp_i1 It's useful to have a tin of this around to touch up scratches and dings to the woodwork, especially the gunwales.
Graham

Peter Taylor

« Reply #14 on: 07 Apr 2014, 18:21 »

I think the range would have been better if I hadn't taken the boat up to full speed, which is about 5 knots.  The battery gauge dropped quickly while I was doing this. My BR20 with its windage and hull size would be much harder to push along than your Trouper.

I have a small inflatable and may try the Torqeedo on that too. It should zip along!

I've used the Torqeedo on my BC20 quite a few times now. In calm weather the top speed is just over 4 kts - but you would exhaust the battery in 20 minutes or less! You really do need to avoid going up to high power.  Keeping to 2 kts you could go on for several hours or more - I compromise at about 3 kts with 30W being supplied from a lead acid battery. Depending on the wind I would typically have about 4 hours endurance.  Keeping an eye on the throttle display pays dividends, sometimes by cutting back a tenth of a knot or so you can gain hours of endurance. I find the Torqeedo is adequate for use on the river but I wouldn't expect it to be much good on the sea if there is any wind; my solution would be to sail but it does mean you can't motor into a head wind to avoid tacking.

The Torqeedo could push my 15' seafly sailing dinghy (without mast) to over 6 kts - more or less planing, but the performance with my 2m inflatable is much worse due to the greater drag. However it would probably go much better without me in it!

Peter
Peter Taylor