Author Topic: What size oars?  (Read 9105 times)

Over Exposed

What size oars?
« on: 01 Jan 2014, 17:24 »
Hello Everyone and happy New Year.  I am new to this discussion group ( I am in the process of buying a Used Bayraider 20).

My new boat doesn't have oars and I plan on rowing her from time to time. Any suggestions on size and should I get a shaped blade or straight one?

Thanks,
Don

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: What size oars?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jan 2014, 20:55 »
Hi Don,

Welcome to the forum. Here are links to a couple of posts about oar length that I am aware of that may help you:

http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,361.msg3603.html#msg3603
http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,696.msg4262.html#msg4262

Cheers,

Jonathan
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jan 2014, 23:40 »
The second of Jonathan's links raises the question - in what conditions are you going to be using the oars?  If they are for occasional rowing in calm water, then the standard pine 2.7 metre oars for the BR20 will do the job.  With their straight blades pointed forward, they stow perfectly into the slots either side of the BR centreboard case. I've used them against very strong winds on Lake Bala and they got me there in the end. I think these are the ones http://www.piplers.co.uk/plastimo-pine-oars-each PL10170 on the drop down menu. They will also need plastic collars to fit into the standard oarlocks.

If you're going to use them more frequently and in challenging conditions, then you may need something longer but then they don't stow nearly as well and get in the way underfoot. I think most of us use an outboard when the going gets tough, so for the majority, the standard oars are the best bet.

PS I went out and measured the standard oars a day later and found that they were 2.7m not 3.0m long.  Posting amended!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Over Exposed

« Reply #3 on: 03 Jan 2014, 15:13 »
Thanks for the information and opinions.  Since we continue to use the English form of measurement here in the US, would a 2.7 meter oar be equivalent to a 9 foot oar?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jan 2014, 15:36 »
2.7m is just under 9ft.
Graham

Tim Riley

« Reply #5 on: 01 Feb 2014, 14:53 »
I have just bought a couple of pairs of long oars off a guy on Ebay who seems to have a source of such unusual items. Mine are 14 foot at present and probably have to lose a couple of feet once I have had a chance to try them. However watching the posts about oars and the problems people have finding them I asked if he has any more and apparently he does and agreed to me posting this. You can find him on Ebay under waveneywanderer or on 07762583945.

Unfortunately I cant make Sail Caledonia this year but wont be able to blame the oars when we return. Watch out Graham!

So how much do i cut off?.....

Cheers
Tim
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 02 Feb 2014, 09:05 »
Tim,

Looks like you got a bargain.

The oars for the forward rowing position should be 11ft while those for the standard middle position should be 12ft.  I had a look at the photo on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-new-Sweeps-oars-14ft-6-/141133476806?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item20dc35f3c6 and I think you need to cut from both ends - the blades are too long if you are going to shorten the shafts.
Graham

Tim Riley

« Reply #7 on: 02 Feb 2014, 10:46 »
Graham,
Yes even did a deal for two pairs, and they turned out better than I had expected which was great. I had worried they would be great tree trunks but are quite light and if they have ever been used there is no evidence of it.
Did you fit rowlocks yourself or Matt ? Do you know what there is to fix into at the forward position? and Matthew have you come up with a permanent solution yet??
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 02 Feb 2014, 13:13 »
The oars look a lot lighter than mine - have you weighed them?

My boat came with forward oarlock bases as standard, positioned aft of the shrouds. However, they were only designed for the standard Plastimo toothpicks.  You'll discover that longer oars exert spectacular leverage and during SailCal last year, one of the bases split in two from the pressure.  Therefore I'd recommend that all oarlock bases are secured to the deck with two bolts or screws each side instead of one, and that you put some sort of backing plate on the underside of the deck. The attached photo gives an idea of what I mean.
Graham