Author Topic: New Greek tax on cruisers.  (Read 10253 times)

Tony

New Greek tax on cruisers.
« on: 27 Jan 2014, 00:23 »
It will, no doubt, delight all prospective purchasers of a nice new BayCruiser 23 that, at 6.98m, it just avoids the €200 annual Greek tax on pleasure boats of 7 to 12 meters. ( ...by 2mm, for goodness sake! Was that brilliant planning or insider information, Matt? )
Owners of Superyachts will find themselves coughing up €100+ per meter! Which is possibly still a better deal than harbour/marina charges on the uk's south coast!
It would be nice if it meant less disturbance for Monk seals and Green Turtles - and maybe - just maybe - we'll be able to see a patch of sandy beach on Anti-Paxos next August if we really wanted to.

Tony

Re: New Greek tax on cruisers.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2014, 10:03 »
Errata:
(First of  many, no doubt)

The turtles found in the Ionian are Loggerheads, not Green (....as anyone who has even heard of Zakynthos would tell you.)

Those with BayCruiser 26's and above, please go to http://www.cruising.org.uk/news/greektax  for full details  of this tax - as it is understood at the present time!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2014, 18:40 »
It says that "The registration document LOA will be used for calculating fees." I don't fancy explaining to a trigger-happy Greek Coastguard that my plank bowsprit doesn't count because it was added afterwards.

Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Tony

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2014, 14:40 »
As for most things Greek, its not what you know but who you know – at least that's how things used to be before they started sacking everyone....
You should be ok, Graham. A BR20, even with an non-standard bowsprit, can't be much more than 6.5m LOA, "Four Sisters" also beats the tax threshold and my Deben Lugger hybrid (my present "Greek" boat) is well under the 7m mark, even with bowsprit and bumkin!

I'm hoping that my friends who run a Greek registered charter boat http://www.paxoslife.com/goldenodysseus.htm  won't be affected too badly ( I haven't read the relevant legislation yet ).

Perhaps this tax, whatever its motivation, won't be all bad, especially if some of the proceeds are earmarked for environmental improvements rather than going straight back into the Bundesbank or wherever it is they have to pay the interest on all the bail-out loans.
For example, I would think that avoiding major ports and marinas and anchoring “wild” will no longer be the chosen option for the  hordes of Gin Palaces (mostly Italian) that appear in summer – which might encourage them to use the facilities and stop 'em pumping out their holding tanks where ever they feel like it. 
The corporate superyacht owners  wont give a damn, of course..that's what accountants are for... and, for once, the little guys like us  get off unscathed!
(Unlike the UK where everywhere you go someone appears wanting harbour dues, parking fees, slipway charges, etc. )

Roge

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2014, 03:49 »
Here in Australia (NSW) a boat over 5.5m of with more than 5hp or a PWC must be registered read boat tax cost is Aus $61.00 for upt o 3.0m and Aus $9.70 for each 0.5m up to a max of $590.
The Bayraider 20 therefore costing $119 ro register for that we get an ugly number to (100mm high) and up to 6 digits to stick on the boat (transom)

Tony

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2014, 15:13 »
Hi, Roge.
Sixty odd quid for an ugly number? I sympathise!
If you have a beautiful boat you don't necessarily want to make it look like a trawler.

I have no objection to taxation as such... or individual, specific taxes such as a boat tax (road fund tax etc) just as long as the taxed can see some relevant benefit from it, rather than it all disappearing into the government coffers to re-emerge, transformed, like an amphibian from the primordial ooze.
Several relevant phrases spring to mind.
“No taxation without representation!” for example.
It would be nice (even for non tea drinkers) to have a direct say in how a specific tax is administered and spent.
As for the amount to be paid?
“From each according to  his ability and to each according to his need...” seems reasonable, even in a capitalist Universe.  The phrase, after all, was only borrowed by Karl Marx from an original idea of the eighteenth century French utopian philosopher, Etienne-Gabriel Morelly, who was by profession a tax inspector! 
Our present crop of “professional” politicians might do better if they read a little philosophy (and history, come to that) before they start messing the rest  of us about!

Andy Dingle

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2014, 16:38 »

Dunno much about French (or Greek) marxist tax inspectors but I do know that the crucial two millimetres was, of course, forefront of my thoughts when I plied Matt with my life time savings of pocket money for a BC23.
Surely this proves that size really does matter?

The thought of following other Swallow Boat owners (those with far too much time on their hands!) south to the sun each year AND being able to put two fingers up to johnny foreigner for a change. Not only that, but to then bask in all their recently deserted anchorages as the fuming grecian tax inspectors double check their tape measures, certainly had me skipping off towards Cardigan.

See you on the beach in Zakynthos Tony.. but don't eat the boiled eggs from the beach breakfast bar.. they aren't at all like they are at home..

Andy

PS.. you really do need to get out more...!!

Tony

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:39 »
Hi, Andy.
I need to get out more?
Damn right I do !
Just need to convince Nurse Rached.....

Roge

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2014, 23:23 »
Hi, Roge.
Sixty odd quid for an ugly number? I sympathise!
If you have a beautiful boat you don't necessarily want to make it look like a trawler.

I have no objection to taxation as such... or individual, specific taxes such as a boat tax (road fund tax etc) just as long as the taxed can see some relevant benefit from it, rather than it all disappearing into the government coffers to re-emerge, transformed, like an amphibian from the primordial ooze.
Several relevant phrases spring to mind.
“No taxation without representation!” for example.
It would be nice (even for non tea drinkers) to have a direct say in how a specific tax is administered and spent.
As for the amount to be paid?
“From each according to  his ability and to each according to his need...” seems reasonable, even in a capitalist Universe.  The phrase, after all, was only borrowed by Karl Marx from an original idea of the eighteenth century French utopian philosopher, Etienne-Gabriel Morelly, who was by profession a tax inspector! 
Our present crop of “professional” politicians might do better if they read a little philosophy (and history, come to that) before they start messing the rest  of us about!

Allegedly the cash goes to the marine rescue (equivenet to RNLI) and coast watch but there is no doubt a huge over head to be paid for first.

The wording for the numbers is "they must be 100mm high, solid (not outline) and readable" so no font is specified,  we also got the Reg No LWL002 N (boat name Little White Lie and its build number is 002, the N we have to live with) and had the No made up in more flowing font than the blocks that are the default. "The No must be affixed to both sides of the hull or for a sailing vessel on the transome).

The registration rules are different in each state, she came from Tasmania where a sailing vessel does not get registered to NSW where it must be if over 5.5m or more than a 5hp motor. Other states are all different by varying degrees.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 02 Feb 2014, 13:16 »
You should be ok, Graham. A BR20, even with an non-standard bowsprit, can't be much more than 6.5m LOA

I've just measured my plank bowsprit - it projects 1.25m beyond the stem, so my unofficial LOA is 7.3m.  I'm thinking of sharpening it to a point at the front....
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Tony

« Reply #10 on: 02 Feb 2014, 23:57 »
Ha Ha! That's the spirit, Graham. If they get too close just ram 'em.
Those harbour master's RIBs should go with a lovely pop!

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #11 on: 03 Feb 2014, 09:39 »
Some (not all) of the German boats we get here seem to think they have right of way like a Mercedes.Now,on my bowsprit I used to have a murderous big CQR, which I used to
offer up to their gleaming topsides...it never failed. :)
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Tony

« Reply #12 on: 03 Feb 2014, 13:33 »
Ah! So its not just the Brits that think “Colregs” might be some sort of computer drawing program!

I didn't know that Mercs had right of way on Scandinavian  roads? You live and learn. 
In the UK it's white vans Monday to Saturday and Nissan Micras on a Sunday lunchtime, I think.

On  weekdays, though, anywhere near a  school, you are in grave danger during  30 mins either side of school opening or closing times. I live opposite a nice little Primary School and dare not leave my car on the street for fear of lumps being taken out of it again. (Reversing people carriers!)  It's depressing to see how little care these mad, selfish parents show for other people's children.
E.g. Driving past the school gates and parked cars at excessive speed; parking in the  school zone; parking on the pavement; across driveways and carpark entrances; double parking; you name it, all done with the attitude that THEIR time is too precious to waste and the rest of the world can go hang. The best of it is that no-one in the village lives more than half a mile from the school! Why drive!
For arrant arrogant disregard of the Law, the safety of other people or even common decency I'd back yuppie parents over your average yottie anytime!

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #13 on: 03 Feb 2014, 21:22 »
In our part of town,there recently opened a branch of the State monopoly off-licence chain,for quaint historical reasons known as the "System Company". The peculiar desperation endemic to the Sub- Arctic vodka/taiga belt leads,every Friday and Saturday afternoon,to the adjacent roundabout being totally blocked up by parked cars..

"Lill-Freja"is now nearly ready.Oh, for Summer..
Cheers,Johan
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Tony

« Reply #14 on: 04 Feb 2014, 10:41 »
Vodka, Eh?
There might be better reasons for blocking a roundabout but I can't think of one right now........

Thanks for posting the picture of "Lill-Freja". It looks as if you have wider side decks than "Four Sisters". Is the netting for grandchildren, sail control or just for catching the Baltic flying fish?
By the  way, how do you have her rigged now? I seem to remember talk of converting to gaff or balanced lug?
(Perhaps a new Non-Bayraider thread for swapping rigging notes?)