Author Topic: RAID England 2014  (Read 23805 times)

Michael Rogers

Re: RAID England 2014
« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2014, 16:15 »
De gustibus non disputandum est.

david

« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2014, 22:11 »
Qui dixerunt linguam latinam mortuam?
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

steve jones

« Reply #17 on: 13 Feb 2014, 12:04 »
Michael ,
  I agree,

David,

If you are a sawbones or gardener obviously not.

Steve Jones

Tony

« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2014, 20:34 »
Γιατί είναι δύσκολο όταν, με λίγη προσπάθεια, θα μπορούσε να είναι αδύνατο;

david

« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2014, 00:53 »
Love it Tony  ;D

Even google translate could not help with with that. Got me good. I have no idea what was said!

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Matthew P

« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2014, 09:00 »
Yes thanks Tony, you have made something that was difficult to follow almost impossible!

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Michael Rogers

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2014, 10:15 »
Try -
           Chacun a son gout  (a few accents missing)
or -
           Jedem sein Geschmack

but that IS cheating, Tony, with that fancy keyboard etc of yours.

Matthew P

« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2014, 15:53 »
Luckily technology can compensate a little for my ignorance. Entering "translate Γιατί είναι δύσκολο όταν, με λίγη προσπάθεια, θα μπορούσε να είναι αδύνατο" into Google seemed to do the the trick.

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Julian Swindell

« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2014, 20:31 »
Latest news is that there are now 22 boats registered for the Falmouth Raid, eight of them Swallowboats and rumours that the Baycruiser 25 will be there. Also a note up on the site that they are nearly fully subscribed, so if you are interested, you need to get your skates on. Bart Jan from the Netherlands is bringing his Nigel Irens BJ17, which is a gorgeous boat. Some people even prefer it to a Bayraider 17!!!
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Tony

« Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2014, 23:47 »
Love it Tony  ;D

Even google translate could not help with with that. Got me good. I have no idea what was said!

David.

That's odd, David.
i got it from Google Translate in the first place!

david

« Reply #25 on: 15 Feb 2014, 02:11 »
I tried it again in google and it worked Tony. Just difficult - not impossible!

Shame about the boat above mftr name. It would be sure to encourage "salty" comments out here.

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Julian Swindell

« Reply #26 on: 18 Feb 2014, 09:23 »
Entries are up to 26 now, with 12 Swallowboats. Those include Baycruiser 25 "Muddy Waters", which I certainly want to see close up. I can't afford a 25ft boat, I'm not sure I would even want one, but a Baycruiser I could stand up in would be a joy. A large cabin boat is hardly a typical raid boat, but I know they like to have a few larger, engined boats in the fleet, who can lend a hand and give a tow to some of the smaller boats, if they get becalmed or overwhelmed. There are at least two sub-four metre boats, and most have no engines, relying on oars alone. So the rescue ribs and a couple of "big buddies" might be quite welcome getting back from the Helford river if the wind dies down (or blows up). Interesting that to date there is not a single Drascombe entered. They used to be regarded as quintessential raid boats, but perhaps no more.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Michael Rogers

« Reply #27 on: 18 Feb 2014, 12:32 »
As one of the prospective tiddlers (boat-wise), I am touched and reassured by the concern for our welfare. Actually, small boat or otherwise, being towed for whatever good reason, I suppose unless having one's life saved, involves loss of nautical face. Still, there are rows of potential galley slaves aboard Molly (oh, not a sensible remark: Geoff actually reads this blog).

I am struggling with the temptation to buy an engine I can't afford. It would be a Torqeedo, and getting back to Mylor from Helford if the wind died would be an excellent test of its potential range. What I'm actually hoping for is a southerly-ish F5 on that day, so that I can put a reef in and plane all the way back, making the Bay Raiders/Cruisers have to empty their tanks to keep up!

It's a great fleet for the Raid, and I'm looking forward to it.

Michael

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #28 on: 19 Feb 2014, 20:43 »
Torqeeding back from Helford ,against wind and waves,on one battery...you'll be lucky to make the "Seven Stars" in Flushing.Hinc illae lacrimae.
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #29 on: 19 Feb 2014, 22:52 »
You misunderstand (I think), Johan. If there is wind, I sail, not motor or (at present) row. And waves go with wind. If, on this forthcoming Raid, the weather is unpropitious for getting to Helford and/or getting back, I dare say there will be a plan B. Over the past ** years I have, I hope, learned to sail reasonably prudently.

Anyway the Torqeedo is a pipe dream at present (except that I don't smoke) because I can't afford it. Incidentally, my boat weighs about 75kg all up, and seems to have an efficient hydrodynamic underwater shape: it shouldn't take THAT much pushing through the water -- ?

Michael