Author Topic: RAID England 2014  (Read 23557 times)

Andy Dingle

Re: RAID England 2014
« Reply #30 on: 20 Feb 2014, 17:28 »
Michael.

I have a 3.5 tohatsu 2 stroke (long shaft) that gets very little use, you would be very welcome to make good use of it on the raid, if it is suitable for your Trouper..?
I'll probably be chucking it in the back of the car and bringing it as a 'spare' in any case.

Andy

Michael Rogers

« Reply #31 on: 20 Feb 2014, 18:12 »
That's extremely kind, Andy! But please don't bring it specially for me. With any outboard, I have an unresolved problem after I moved the built in outboard well arrangement in the after deck of the Trouper to the midline (it was on the starboard side) to accommodate my arrangement for the mainsheet. I really don't know what's needed for the clamps etc on an outboard. I'll have to snoop round to see what will or might work. Maybe I'll have a clearer idea come September.

I don't mind rowing, honestly!

Michael

Michael Rogers

« Reply #32 on: 22 Feb 2014, 21:18 »
Number of entries now 29 and, Julian, no 28 is a Drascombe.

I suppose it's a bit like how many patients you book for a clinic session - you put in a few more than you can comfortably cope with, on the basis that a few (at least) don't turn up, which is usually the case. However it gets a bit uncomfortable on the occasions that they do all show. There was mention of max numbers both of boats and people (I note that this has now gone from the website), and I suppose that the latter is probably the most critical in terms of organisation. If there are, in the end, nearly 30 boats, we aren't half going to make an impression when we all turn up somewhere, e.g. in the Helford River.

Michael

Tony

« Reply #33 on: 24 Feb 2014, 00:03 »
Michael.

I have a 3.5 tohatsu 2 stroke (long shaft) that gets very little use, you would be very welcome to make good use of it on the raid, if it is suitable for your Trouper..?

Andy

Hi, Michael,
If Andy's outboard is anything like my 3.3hp Mariner ( I think its the same engine block) I advise you to borrow it like a shot - and  if it fits your transom, steal/buy/rent it from him afterward!
It's light enough to lift with one hand, starts first pull, doesn't mind which way up you store it and pushes my heavy lugger around at  six knots! It'll have your Trouper up on the plane at half throttle, I should think! 

Andy Dingle

« Reply #34 on: 24 Feb 2014, 13:01 »
Indeed, the Tohatsu is all that Uncle Tony describes. A belting little engine and now something of a rarity.
If I had one of your English Pounds for every offer I have had for it then it would go some small way towards financing my shiny new BC23... Even the chap who services it for me is reluctant to give it back and is always trying to persuade me to get rid in his direction.
Happy to lend it where it's needed but most definitely not for sale!

Michael Rogers

« Reply #35 on: 24 Feb 2014, 22:18 »
 I feel privileged to be at the centre of a little whirlpool of excitement about a rare outboard engine, which is presumably no longer made because it's a 2-stroke. Which took me back to ancient motor mowers and very small motor bikes of my acquaintance - one of which had a separate oil tank, none of this messy mixing oil into petrol. I don't know if that became standard two-stroke practice.

Thanks again for the borrow offer, Andy, which is reassuring to have in the background. Actually I missed a trick today. I had mentioned my interest in a Torqeedo to my wife a little while back, without any reference to the price. Today she asked, 'Have you ordered that outboard yet?', to which - fool that I am - I replied, 'No, not yet, because it's a bit pricey'. Whereas I SHOULD have said, 'Gosh, no, I'd quite forgotten: I'll do it today', and then dealt with the shock-horror over the price if/when it happened. Why am I so reasonable/careful/sensible about these things? Too late to become spendthrift/spontaneous/
gung-ho, I suppose, though it might be fun. Actually my dear wife has just joined me in retirement paradise, so we really can't afford things like Torqeedos. Oh well….

Reg Barker

« Reply #36 on: 04 Mar 2014, 09:13 »
To-day I have registered Alice Amy, so I hope to be joining the Swallow Boat Brigade.
BRe #11 Alice Amy

Michael Rogers

« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2014, 11:43 »
Chris Wright (aka retired2sail) contributed (under Technical) about his BR17 boom. Chris, I noticed that you live across Carrick Roads from Falmouth - lucky man!! - and I just wondered whether you were aware of Raid England happening in early September out of Mylor Yacht Harbour? Any number of Swallowboats coming, but I don't think there's another BR17 (I may be wrong). Any chance you could join in, or is it not your kind of thing? There might be a numbers problem because the fleet has become huge, but it's your home waters and I don't think they would turn you away.

I have always thought that St Just in Roseland is one of the most beautiful place names in the country, further enhanced by where it is! My son lives a few miles from Nempnett Thrubwell in Somerset, which is a quaint but not beautiful name and has nothing to do with sailing.

Michael

steve jones

« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2014, 10:20 »
Not sure whether this constitutes a raid or not , but there is an international week long event called SEFAIR,  from 7th-14th of June taking place at Milford Haven, Wales.
 This a biannual event, and is loosely based on the French extravaganza.
There are, I noticed, a few Swallow boats going but there is a  Swallow/Bala event organised for the end of the week.
 The sailing is tidal,  with all that implies,  but the estuary offers considerable range, and indeed comes third, in my opinion, after Plymouth and Falmouth as extensive estuary sailing.
 The sail and oar fleet is based at Lawrenny, a pontoon mooring to the base pub. The cost has risen to £60 for the week, with £5 camping  per night , easy staggering distance to boat/pub.
 The main interest is the eclectic source of boats and sailors. There are usually 4 fleets, and a couple of combined events.
There is a down side though, you have to be match fit for the social events, in terms of late drinking and late nights!

Steve Jones
BR17  Nona Me

Tony

« Reply #39 on: 17 May 2014, 01:45 »
Hi, Steve,
I'm registered for SeaFair Haven again this year, too. (Details not on the "Who's coming" list yet, for some reason) . Numbers appear to be down a little this year (due to increased cost?) but a fleet of 50-60 seems likely. Not up to Morbihan  standards of 1,000 + (You HAVE to sign up for that next year! Don't miss it.) but quite enough to raise the roof at the Lawrenny Arms .
Just hope my liver can take it. (Brain's Bitter isnt it?)
Will be flying the DCA flag ....but thinking of joining the OGA for late night shanty sessions - no sleep to be had on the pontoon when they get going, anyway, and no chance of getting them ALL arrested for a breach of the peace as the local lock-up ain't big enough. So, if you can't beat 'em.....

Julian Swindell

« Reply #40 on: 22 Aug 2014, 15:14 »
Just to re-open this thread, now the raid is just over a week away. Is anyone staying longer than the days of the raid itself? I've booked a flat in the harbour from Friday next week until the end of the raid, so we are hoping to have some pottering about before the "serious" stuff starts. Fingers crossed for the weather. My wife has forcefully informed me that if it is cold, wet, windy or just not to her liking, I will be on my own. Again. But I have got my sister and brother-in-law as back ups in the flat. I also note on Facebook that Swallowboats would dearly like to get a BC23 at the raid, as that would give them a complete line up of the Bayboats. Even the mythical BC25 is meant to be there, but not the BC26 which I think they are trying to forget about.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Michael Rogers

« Reply #41 on: 22 Aug 2014, 16:17 »
Hi Julian

I'm travelling down (it's a long way - Cornwall seems to go on for ever) on Sunday 31st, and so will be hoping to sail as much as poss on Monday, which is registration day, before the Raid proper starts on Tuesday. Unfortunately I may have to cut and run (home) on Thursday evening. This year we have three regular users of our two cars: I shall have one, and both my wife and son may need a car on Friday, work-wise. If so, a night drive on Thursday confronts me. Grrrr - or some similar suitable comment.

This gives me an opportunity to ask - where does the name 'Raid' come from in this context? Is it Nordic? Several people have asked me why it's a Raid, and I found I don't know. Help please!

Michael

Julian Swindell

« Reply #42 on: 22 Aug 2014, 16:42 »
I don't know why they are called raids. I think the first was held in France, so it might be a French acronym. But I like the idea of raiding up a river. Getting a bit beyond pillaging or any other associated activities these days.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 05 Sep 2014, 21:00 »
I've just got home from Raid England and have been looking through my photos.  The attached is what a badly misjudged start to a race looks like, from the point of view of the badly misjudging helmsman!

We were lucky with both the organisation of the raid, which was excellent in a relaxed and friendly sort of way, and the weather, which was windy enough to avoid having to row.

The race timings were adjusted for handicaps, with BR20's and BRe's being equated with Hawk 20's of various kinds.  Nick Peters's BRe 'Castaway' was always out in front and ended a very creditable 2nd after handicaps.  She will be at the Southampton Boat Show for those that are interested.

Chris Stanley's 'Horta', a clinker-built Tideway 14 from 1975 was overall winner. Photo below.

I'll post a gallery when I have weeded out endless time lapse pictures of the front of my boat and the back of my head.

Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 05 Sep 2014, 22:17 »
I've now created a gallery http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=449&album=4&gallery=24

Feel free to add your own photos.  You can tell that I was impressed with the quality of the packed lunches!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III