Author Topic: What Boat Next?  (Read 116765 times)

Ian

Re: What Boat Next?
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2007, 18:12 »
Such a boat would certainly interest me and would be more competitve as a compeitor to the Coaster. An alternative to the Shrimper would be too heavy for easy towing.

Ian

Jeff Curtis

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2007, 18:37 »
In view of the unseasonally wet weather I think any new boat should be 300 cubits long and constructed of Gopher wood.

Tony

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2007, 17:00 »
In view of the unseasonally wet weather I think any new boat should be 300 cubits long and constructed of Gopher wood.
Hi Jeff,
We laugh at the unseasonably wet weather: we snap our fingers at downpours: we sneer at thunderstorms: we have a lid on OUR boat!
(Er.. and, it must be said, a dry suit.)
Becalmed in the middle of Carsington Reservoir in heavy rain was made much more civilized by the ability to brew up hot coffee in a nice dry cabin. I almost enjoyed the row back to the pontoon.  Only wish Matt could have fitted the Cardigan Bay Lugger with self bailers. After the last drenching I had to empty 3 bucketfulls from the cockpit before I could stop the floor boards floating. Don’t talk to me about water ballast !

Craic

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2007, 09:06 »
About time to re-open the discussion, which kind of Swallowboat boat may be coming next, or which should.

We will be doing two events in France in the summer next year, and in that connection had to look for onshore accommodation. We eventually succeeded, but maybe buying a cabin sailer would be a more economical solution.
So, how about a cabin version of the BR? Anyone else for it too?
C.

Ian Cowie

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2007, 18:01 »
I would support such a project although I think the length of the Sea Raider would lend it self to a cabin version. The right combination of performance and trailerability I think would make it a good prospect for good sales.

When is the BR and SR going to be available as a panel kit.

Ian

Brian Pearson

« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2007, 22:47 »
Matt mentioned BR could be available as panel kit early next year

Brian Pearson

« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2007, 22:54 »
Claus, sailed on a friend's Hawk 20 cabin version in the summer. The cabin in quite small, more a storage area. A full canopy tent over the whole boat cockpit length would probably be a much more practical space.

Craic

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:27 »
Ian, Brian,
the SeaRaider is not beamy enough to possibly offer any cabin comfort.

The BR is beamier and more multi-purpose. In particular, the BR is using it's aft length (incl. O/B well, mizzen mast positioning) much more economical than the SR, which I think already compensates for its being 2' shorter than SR.

I agree with what you write about the Hawk, Brian. The Drascombe Coaster is a similar case. Both boats are old designs, the Coaster goes back almost 30 years. I am optimistic one can do better today.
Novel option could be a raisable cockpit roof like in some campervans, and/or a different smaller 'foredeck' space, due to general use of jib furling gear from inside the cockpit.
As an analogy, also cars today make better use of limited space than they generally did 30 years ago.
C.

Matt Newland

« Reply #23 on: 07 Dec 2007, 08:17 »
How would people feel about a pop top roof on a cruising boat/yacht, so as to create more headroom. The Norfolk broads cruisers have them but they are not sea boats. I am sure with modern materials it could be designed strong enough. I am worried that it might be a hard sell to the more conservative boat buying public. Any opinions?
Regards,
Matt Newland

Richard Scott

« Reply #24 on: 07 Dec 2007, 21:06 »
I, for one, don't know what a 'pop top' roof is - but I bet Tony could make some humorous comments on one.

Anyone have a link to what they look like or how they work?

Ian Cowie

« Reply #25 on: 08 Dec 2007, 12:03 »
Matt,

As an interested spectator who might be persuaded. I see some advantages and some dis-advantages.

A pop top roof would allow the boat to remain compact and you would not have the cuddy look that some day sailers have.

Sails should be easier to handle without the obstruction of the roof.

It would allow more comfort whilst moored up i.e.sitting room.

There is little need for this headroom whilst underway. As long as you have access to the cabin to store items you need whilst underway e.g.Waterproofs, cameras etc.

The disdavantages would be. What would it look like? Are the side walls going to be solid,  cloth material?

Durability, Leak proof.?

Ease of construction.

Let's see some of your ideas in sketch or CAD drawings.

Ian Cowie

David

« Reply #26 on: 08 Dec 2007, 21:52 »
I have sailed Hunter boats from their yard at Ludham www.huntersyard.co.uk they all have lifting cabin tops but need their tent covers on at night to keep the rain out.

Some friends sailed a boat on the Broads were the cabin top lifted with a flick off the switch, it had a power supply to work the hydraulics.

The Hunter boats have no engine so you have to push the top up manually.   

David

Brian Pearson

« Reply #27 on: 09 Dec 2007, 17:46 »
In the latest Water Craft No 66 there is an article on the Barton Classic, a Broads yacht with a lifting top. At the top of page 16 there is a picture of the yacht with the roof lifted.

Is this the sort of thing you have in mind? The front of the roof stays in place and the back lifts highest to make a wedge shape.

Craic

« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2007, 08:34 »
'Pop top roof'?

Certainly nobody wants a roof top that can go POP!
It must be a given that such a rooftop -when lowered and secured- must be sturdy enough to withstand the worst of weathers out there, and must not be leaking.

'Lifting Coachroof' seems to be the right expression. Thanks, Brian, for that reference article in WC 66. I like that hinged design, looks neat and solid.

Looks, I think especially a lifting coachroof -when collapsed while the boat is under way- would help to keep the boat look pretty, through allowing a low silhouette of the boat. A low silhouette roof also would give less windage at sea and when the boat is being trailered.
Other small cabin sailers today without lifting coachroof must have unproportionally large and boxy cabin roofs, limitating the helmsmans front lookout view. I had that once and would not like something like that again.

Craic

« Reply #29 on: 10 Dec 2007, 11:02 »
BTW,
there is currently some discussion of lifting coachroofs on the YBW forum, http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php?Number=1662115 .