Author Topic: Navigating Software for PC  (Read 12823 times)

Andy Dingle

Navigating Software for PC
« on: 20 Feb 2014, 22:35 »
I've been playing around with using PC software for navigation and thought to share what I have found.
So far my preferred software is Open CPN (free) at www.opencpn.org a really useful program that can pretty well do anything I want it to, will accept (obviously) GPS for position and tracking etc, AIS, Radar, grib files, weather fax, all sorts of fun things via plugins - full details on their web site.

It is necessary to add your own charts and it will accept a whole variety of different types. I’ve found these on the internet (free again) - full world highly detailed charts. Is in six parts, simply open them up and down load all 6 (as the page opens, ignore all the bumph and just click the ‘go to file’ box).

(NB. Just found that the link will try and open an advertising page (blank), just close it and the proper screen is under it. Just then click on the CM93 multi part .rar file to download it).

http://www.firedrive.com/file/38AF4AF46C53B9C8

http://www.firedrive.com/file/626993A82D094F15

http://www.firedrive.com/file/EE258CA9D6D0F4C3

http://www.firedrive.com/file/7C86A23998727563

http://www.firedrive.com/file/1CC22D10FBC2816F

http://www.firedrive.com/file/A1E4C9CCBA977FCC

Although together they are over 1 gig they will still need to be decompressed.

In Open Cpn its very easy to add the charts - make sure you get all the decompressed files in one folder
In the charts options menu open up the vector charts menu - I selected ‘show all’  but you can select any level of detail you want. Also make sure you click on the ENC text box in the main menu bar to show all the text detail on the chart, also make sure you have graphic acceleration (opengl) ticked in the display menu.
I also use BSB charts for UK that I got off Visit My Harbour for about £40 on an annually updatable memory stick that works fantastically with Open CPN with my Garmin 76cx plugged in.

Another brilliant program I have found is GE2kap http://www.gdayii.ca/Downloads.php

This will allow you to create your own charts off Google Earth, the chap who wrote it asks for a very well deserved USD20 donation, which I am sending. But I am sure he won’t mind if you try it out. With this program it is also possible to overlay a marine chart - such as CM93 or BSB onto a google earth image, all referenced and extremely accurate - very handy if your charts are a little suspect or out of date. (You guys who sail down in the Med may find that useful, especially around the greek islands?).
I have the instructions to do this, if any one is interested in doing it then give me a shout.

I'm trying to attach a chart I created as an experiment of Rutland Water when sailing last weekend with Peter C, obviously there are no charts of the area, so I just made one! - we did 16 miles, at an average speed of 4 knots, peaking to 6.5 knots if you're interested!

You will need a program called ooRexx-4.1.1-windows.x86_32  to run GE2KAP.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/oorexx/files/oorexx/4.1.1/

Goodness knows what it is or why you need it, but you do!

I’m far from being a computer whiz or geek type, but I found it all very easy to do and quite interesting - in a sad way, and apart from the charts I bought myself, all free!

Hope this is of some use to anyone, as I say I am not in any way a competent person around this software and I’ve not added any ‘how to’s’ in this post, as is mostly self explanatory, but if you do get stuck give me a shout and I may be able to help, but there is a very sophisticated Open CPN forum on Cruiser Forum..  Just google it.

By the way,  I understand these charts are 2009. Apparently there are 2012 charts out there somewhere if any one knows where?..  Usual cautions in using electronic charts for navigation. I actually use a Yeoman chart plotter (paper based) for real time navigation working alongside all this stuff.

Andy

Added another shot of a GE2KAP 'chart' of my own creek area overlaid onto CM93 - now I know how to do it! - just need to sort out the transparency...

You can see at the bottom left of the shot how accurately the two join up..the sea defence bank is clearly defined in both images and line up accurately.. the top left of the google shot is a bit more hazy..  but that area is in fact beach/dune/marsh area that regularly changes around..

From my little screen shots of the CM93 charts (all taken off my little 10 ins screen netbook) you can see the level of detail on them..  and that is the same for the whole world!

david

Re: Navigating Software for PC
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2014, 14:38 »
Nice Andy. Thank you for sharing. I will try this out over the weekend. I like that you can use google earth and gps etc. It will be useful for the lakes that only have fishing maps currently that I use. I hope I can map lake Havasu (where the old London bridge is). The current map available is out of the phone book!

David
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Matthew P

« Reply #2 on: 02 Mar 2014, 20:17 »
Thanks Andy, really comprehensive and useful.   If anyone knows how to use it with Android devices then Mrs Peacock's Ipad can remain safely ashore and I can use my Nexus afloat.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Andy Dingle

« Reply #3 on: 02 Mar 2014, 20:58 »
Glad you found it useful Dave and Matthew.

Have a look at www.visitmyharbour.com for Android tablet charts and software. You'll have to pay for this but is very reasonable.
I understand that Open CPN is being modified to work on Android tablets too.
There is loads of stuff on line about using the Android tablet (and the apple equivalents) as a chartplotter on-line if you hunt about.

I am thinking of getting one myself too - mainly as my beloved e-book reading gizmo just packed up. So good excuse to get one but can't decide at the moment which one to get. The tesco hudl (not a typo just a strange name) seems popular as it has built in GPS and there is loads of stuff on't t'interweb about it being used as a chartplotter.

Regards

Andy

Brian Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 03 Mar 2014, 22:18 »
I can recommend the Nexus 7 tablet with Marine Navigator and VisitMyHarbour charts - works a treat (and very cheap)!
BC20 #05 Amy Pearl

Andy Dingle

« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar 2014, 10:01 »
Thanks Brian, certainly the Nexus 7 seems to receive all the best reviews and a friend of mine at work has got one so I was able to have a look at it, I was indeed very impressed. But I had forgotten to ask if it had a built in GPS receiver. Which of course I now know it does.
Do you use yours with any kind of protective case and/or waterproof pouch?

Andy

Matthew P

« Reply #6 on: 04 Mar 2014, 14:17 »
I  bought a waterproof case for my Nexus 7 for £20 from www.proporta.co.uk/google-nexus-7-case-beachbuoy-waterproof which looks OK but I have not yet used.  It is over-size but this is good for buoyancy.  Operating the Nexus 7 power button is a bit fiddly through the case but possible with warm dry fingers - probably a restriction on all such cases.

I am very pleased with my Nexus 7 for business use, fits in a suit jacket inner pocket but big enough for comfortable emailing and video watching.  I would get the larger 32 Gbyte memory if possible, there is no external memory slot.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Jim Levang

« Reply #7 on: 04 Mar 2014, 20:10 »
I use MX Mariner (http://mxmariner.com/) on a Nexus 7 (old version) and it works great. Free downloadable charts are limited to the US, UK and Ireland, New Zealand and Brazil. For us on this side of the pond, the downloadable charts are the proper, official NOAA charts and I assume that it would be the equivalent on your side of the pond. The app itself was maybe $7 and is very useful as a chart browser as well as an aid to navigation, that is to say that it is fun in the winter as well.

Jim

Brian Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 04 Mar 2014, 21:28 »
Andy, like Matthew I have the Proporta Beachbuoy waterproof case.  It does seem to be totally waterproof but it does impact screen visibility and button accessibility a bit, so I only use it in wet weather.  I also have a Nexus 7 S Curve TPU Gel Skin case on my device - about a fiver from Amazon - that I use all the time and is all that I need for less inclement weather.  It is a close-fitting rubberised back and side cover, that comes in a range of jazzy colours, which protects the Nexus from basic knocks and scrapes, but leaves the screen and buttons exposed.  I accidentally dropped my Nexus over 3ft on to a flagstone floor and it survived thanks to the Gel Skin!
BC20 #05 Amy Pearl

Julian Swindell

« Reply #9 on: 05 Mar 2014, 09:14 »
I have been using GPS Nautical charts-UK over the last season, on a Sony Xperia tablet. The tablet is designed to be waterproof. but they don't claim seawater proof, so I haven't tested it by dumping it over the side. The app was cheap, I think £15, and all of the charts are up to date UK hydrographic just like Visit My Harbour's offering. I mount the tablet in my cabin and peer though the companionway, so it is protected from the weather and in the shade, so it is easy to see. I have installed the Navionics chart plotter, but haven't tried that out on the water yet. It has far more facilities, such as tides and currents, but I find the charts themselves no so attractive. I will report back after I have used them for real
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Andy Dingle

« Reply #10 on: 05 Mar 2014, 20:39 »
Thanks for the useful replies. Plenty there to be mulling over.
I've also been in contact with Visit My Harbour. They now do a full UK/Ireland chart cover for android for £7.99, down loading the chart set direct from their website to run with the Marine Navigator application which I think must be good value for money.
They are also introducing tide/currents software for their charts too this year, certainly for the Open CPN chartplotting software. Not sure if this will also apply for the android charts.
Now I just need to decide which machine to go for, especially as I am half way through a good book!

Andy

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2014, 13:38 »
Hardware rather than software, this new Android Smartphone probably points to the direction that the technology is headed http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/android/SM-G900FZKABTU

With larger screens, longer battery life, a slot for a memory card and in this case a degree of waterproofing (to IP67), they are becoming more and more useful as dayboat plotters in conjunction with suitable navigation apps. I hope that Apple will be following suit soon.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

BobT

« Reply #12 on: 04 Jun 2015, 18:43 »
Does anyone have experience of using Memory Map as they appear to offer cross platform support (PC, Android, Apple) access to UK marine and OS mapping?
Bob
BRe "Escape"