Author Topic: 'The Dinghy Cruising Companion'  (Read 9279 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
'The Dinghy Cruising Companion'
« on: 10 Mar 2014, 14:50 »
This book by Roger Barnes (President of the Dinghy Cruising Association) has just been published and is available from all the usual suspects eg (at full price) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1408179164/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  There is also a Kindle edition.

It is subtitled 'Tales and advice from sailing in a small open boat' and covers just about every topic that you could imagine.  It also contains a one-page description of Swallow Boats designs that is very complimentary.

Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

PeterDT

Re: 'The Dinghy Cruising Companion'
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2014, 13:28 »
Thanks Graham, i am reading it now, great fun. Filled with enthousiasm.
In the context of this book, a BRe is allmost a tall ship (technically not a dinghy?). Interesting shift of perspective!

Peter

Michael Rogers

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2014, 17:31 »
I haven't got my copy yet (I think it will await one of those "what do you want for your birthday?" queries which will be coming my way in a few months) but I have flicked through what Amazon allow you to see in their 'look inside' facility. I like the varied format, type faces etc, including someone's elegant handwriting - or is that contrived from a computer as well these days?

One strange, if peripheral, thing is that when I first 'looked inside' chez Amazon, a few of the pages which came up included lists of kit to take for various types of dinghy cruising; and I remember I almost laughed at the thought of trying to fit even half of it into my little boat. Going back for a second look, I can't find those lists at all. Do they vary the pages they allow you to see? If not, how did I manage to see what isn't there (if you see what I mean)? Is book publishing/selling represented among the behind-the-scenes expertise of those who read/contribute-to this forum, who could explain? Not important, just curious….

Michael

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2014, 23:56 »
a few of the pages which came up included lists of kit to take for various types of dinghy cruising; and I remember I almost laughed at the thought of trying to fit even half of it into my little boat.

Michael,

I can't answer for Amazon's preview policy but in my hard copy, the equipment lists are in Appendix 2 right at the back of the book. They're certainly comprehensive!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III