Author Topic: The jib blew out and that was before we started!  (Read 12490 times)

Matt Newland

Re: The jib blew out and that was before we started!
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2014, 21:06 »
Hello,
I commented just now on the mast rake question in the previous thread, but the issue of tabernacle design raised here needs answering.
The tabernacle on our new BayRaider expedition and BRUSA rigged (fully battened) is an improvement, in that it allows a much greater range of mast movement before anything pulls out.
As Matthew said, the range is quite critical. Especially if the shrouds are too long, the front edge of the mast levers off the screws on the back of the tabernacle.
I have been trying to think of a fix for this. I am not sure that a plate welded to the bottom of the existing tabernacle will work - it will likely give a greater required force but if the shrouds are too long then it could still either bend the steel work and or eventually pull out screws anyway.
On my last post I said mast rake was not something to lose sleep over but I had forgotten of course, the implications on the tabernacle - especially if the mast is allowed to come too vertical (through shroud lashings bedding and so lengthening). I am afraid I do not have better answer than just trying to ensure the mast rake is as correct as possible, if anything a little too raked.

On the sail shredding issue its likely that UV played a significant part. its amazing how much it weakens a sail. We do fit UV strips now as options for those leaving their boats on moorings and/or rigged.
Best wishes,
Matt