Author Topic: Ullswater 2015  (Read 28770 times)

Andy Dingle

Re: Ullswater 2015
« Reply #15 on: 08 Sep 2014, 14:14 »
Good news Matthew.. put me down for a berth on the pontoon (though I don't mind anchoring and using the dinghy if required). But sharing a pontoon with 'Four Sister's may have some obscure attraction... will hopefully be bringing some Breton Cidre back from Morbihan too that will be nicely chilled in the water ballast tanks,,

Andy - and BC23 'Equinox'

Tony

« Reply #16 on: 09 Sep 2014, 11:30 »
Hi, Andy.

Quote:-
 “...But sharing a pontoon with 'Four Sister's may have some obscure attraction... “

You have no idea how concerning I find that statement!  Not at all ameliorated by the thought of possibly blagging some French cider off you.  (I usually bring a boat full of cheese back from the Morbihan er...which might explain why I am not used to company on the pontoon.)

Good to hear that “Equinox”  (What happened to “Druid”....or was that someone else?) will be taking pride of place on the Swallow Boats stand at Southampton. 
Some of the sticky finger marks you will find all over her after the show will be mine! Heh Heh!

Andy Dingle

« Reply #17 on: 09 Sep 2014, 14:14 »
It will no doubt be a memorable experience Tony.. Breton Cidre and cheese? Perhaps we should anchor some way off after all. Outrageous french accents, berets?  No..  of course not..

You are correct - 'Druid' was an early choice of name some months ago - but I have been swayed by the distaff side, who, despite not contributing even one 'sou' to the purchase fund has exercised some considerable sway in choice of colours, upholstery and other finery - including the name. I refused to entertain 'SS Sheffield' - her suggestion as the only embossed cutlery we own has 'Stainless Steel Sheffield' stamped on the back.
As time went on and we still did not have a name we both agreed on, it suddenly occurred to us what day it is when I collect - and I had a Seawych 19 many years ago (I always told people I owned a Sadler), called 'Solstice' for precisely the same reason.. 

'Equinox' will be in her best party frock on display at Southampton, and if I may inform, she will be sporting an aero luff spar which has been very kindly donated to me by Ralph Roberts of Aero LuffSpar Systems,

http://www.aeroluffspars.co.uk/default.html

I'll be putting something up in due course as to how I get on with it.. should be interesting.

Andy

Ps. Visitors on board very welcome - provided you are wearing full forensic overalls, gloves, hats, surgical mask and slippers...
The upholstery on board will be Matt's as I don't get my own until the week after the show.

Tom Newall

« Reply #18 on: 15 Sep 2014, 14:41 »
Hi Matthew

I am very interested in joining this event

Kind regards

Tom

BR20 Shuna

Matthew P

« Reply #19 on: 15 Sep 2014, 16:53 »
Hi Matthew

I am very interested in joining this event

Kind regards

Tom

BR20 Shuna

Hi Tom, you will be very welcome. The rally will be similar to last year but from the plush and efficient facilities of the Ullswater Sailing Club and hopefully with bright spring weather. I'll post details nearer the time.  Meanwhile if you have any specific questions please ask here or you can contact me directly through the messages tab on this forum.  I tend to look at this once a week, so please don't expect an instant reply.  Where are you based please?  I can recommend the Bala, Rutland, Teifi and other rallys too, assuming they run next year and organisers don't have too many forms to fill in.

Regards

Matthew
Gladys BR20   
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Tom Newall

« Reply #20 on: 15 Sep 2014, 19:42 »
Hi Matthew
We live near Oswestry, in Shropshire. Our boat Shuna was delivered in 2013, and our first outing was one week later at the Golfe du Morbhian 2013.
This year we took her to the Seafair Haven Event in Pembrokeshire. We are already booked in for Morbihan 2015, so another event would be great.

Kind regards

Tom

Matthew P

« Reply #21 on: 15 Sep 2014, 19:51 »
Hi Tom

That's an impressive list of events you are taking part in.  How about adding Sail Caledonia 2015 to your collection of event pennants?  See www.sailcaledonia.org.

Are you aware of a well-known leading Bayraider 20 based in Oswestry?  If not I'll let Graham make his own introduction.

Regards

Matthew
Gladys BR20

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 15 Sep 2014, 21:45 »
Hi Tom,

It's a bit landlocked around here isn't it? My nearest local sailing water is usually Lake Bala but otherwise, like you, I range far and wide. I can't imagine a more suitable boat for that sort of thing than the BR20.

Like Matthew, I strongly recommend Sail Caledonia.  Being their treasurer has nothing to do with it, of course. There may also be a repeat of Raid England next year, also great fun.

PS I'm no longer "leading" since Matthew decided on a radical change in his crew....
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Michael Rogers

« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2014, 22:04 »
Tom

From where you are, can I also recommend the Teifi Rally, which is not a million miles from you (I whizzed past Oswestry to and from the Teifi Rally this year). It's great fun, in a beautiful spot which offers different sorts of sailing experiences from most other places. I'll be writing up this year's Jolly in a day or two - watch the appropriate space.

Gareth Rowlands, who organises the Teifi, favours June as ideal, but tide times are of the essence there, and there weren't any favourable tides at a w/e this year. I hope he'll let us know as early as he can when next year's Rally might be.

Michael

Simon Knight

« Reply #24 on: 04 Oct 2014, 12:01 »
Hi,

Please ad me as a provisional attendee of the Ullswater meeting in 2015.  I would plan to sleep aboard if possible otherwise I'll plan to camp.

best wishes

Simon Knight
BR20 Carpe Diem
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Matthew P

« Reply #25 on: 04 Oct 2014, 17:32 »
Hello Simon, your provisional booking brings the total prospective boats to 16 - and more to come I hope.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys   

Matthew P

« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2015, 19:28 »
The Ullswater meeting will go ahead on 12th to 14th June but with a change of venue to the Glenridding Sailing Centre.

Ullswater Yacht Club has had a change of management and recently declared access to slipways and changing rooms will be restricted because priority will be given to local Club boats for training and racing Keelboats.

The good news is that Glenridding Sailing Centre (GSC) are very welcoming and happy to have us.  Visit www.glenriddingsailingcentre. co.uk to see what an excellent location this is. 

The deal on offer from GSC is £20 per day (Fri pm to Sun pm counts as 2 days), which includes launching and use of facilities. We are also invited to the annual PSC Ceilidh in the village hall at a cost of £25 pp and includes feasting, drinking (included in price!) and dancing. The food and drink appeals although people with delicate feet may be relieved to hear I might leave dancing to others.

There are a number of good campsites nearby. Please see http://www.ullswater.co.uk/camping.html#Watermillock and make your own arrangements.

Unfortunately GSC are restricted to 15 boats which is as many as have already “registered an interest” but don't despair if your not registered, spare places will probably become available.

If you registered an interest (list below) then please confirm before 2nd May by sending me a message on the forum website (so as to keep this thread uncluttered) with your name, likely number of crew, boat name and type, interest in the Ceilbh (not obligatory) etc OR let me know if you cannot come so that available places can be offered to boats that have not previously registered but would like to.

People (and dogs apparently) previously Registered:

Michael Rogers
Rory C
Jon
Andy Dingle
Gareth Row
Bill Rollo
Border Terrier
David Hudson
Reg Barker
John Perry
Tony
Tom Newall
Simon Hughes
Rob Waller
Graham (although I know Graham might be abroad)
MP

If you are not on this list but would like to come then please let me know – but first come first served for spare places.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

garethrow

« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2015, 21:27 »
I don't think I will be able to make it Matthew. Moving house around about then and am already taking the following W/E out for the Teifi Rally. Hope all goes well and the sun shines.

Regards

Gareth

Matthew P

« Reply #28 on: 23 Apr 2015, 21:56 »
Thanks Gareth, so that's at least one new place available for someone else.

The Ullswater meeting will go ahead on 12th to 14th June but with a change of venue to the Glenridding Sailing Centre.

Ullswater Yacht Club has had a change of management and recently declared access to slipways and changing rooms will be restricted because priority will be given to local Club boats for training and racing Keelboats.

The good news is that Glenridding Sailing Centre (GSC) are very welcoming and happy to have us.  Visit www.glenriddingsailingeentre. co.uk to see what an excellent location this is. 

The deal on offer from GSC is £20 per day (Fri pm to Sun pm counts as 2 days), which includes launching and use of facilities. We are also invited to the annual GSC Ceilidh in the village hall at a cost of £25 pp and includes feasting, drinking (included in price!) and dancing. The food and drink appeals although people with delicate feet may be relieved to hear I might leave dancing to others.

There are a number of good campsites nearby. Please see http://www.ullswater.co.uk/camping.html#Watermillock and make your own arrangements.ntre. co.uk to see what an excellent location this is. 

The deal on offer from PSC is £20 per day (Fri pm to Sun pm counts as 2 days), which includes launching and use of facilities. We are also invited to the annual GSC Ceilidh in the village hall at a cost of £25 pp and includes feasting, drinking (included in price!) and dancing. The food and drink appeals although people with delicate feet may be relieved to hear I might leave dancing to others.

There are a number of good campsites nearby. Please see http://www.ullswater.co.uk/camping.html#Watermillock and make your own arrangements.

Unfortunately GSC are restricted to 15 boats which is as many as have already “registered an interest” but don't despair if your not registered, spare places will probably become available.

If you registered an interest (list below) then please confirm before 2nd May by sending me a message on the forum website (so as to keep this thread uncluttered) with your name, likely number of crew, boat name and type, interest in the Ceilbh (not obligatory) etc OR let me know if you cannot come so that available places can be offered to boats that have not previously registered but would like to.

People (and dogs apparently) previously Registered:

Michael Rogers
Rory C
Jon
Andy Dingle
Bill Rollo
Border Terrier
David Hudson
Reg Barker
John Perry
Tony
Tom Newall
Simon Hughes
Rob Waller
Graham (although I know Graham might be abroad)
MP

If you are not on this list but would like to come then please let me know – but first come first served for spare places.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Rory C

« Reply #29 on: 25 Apr 2015, 22:09 »
Another place becomes available as I will not be able to get Gobhlan-G there I'm afraid. Hope you all have a great time and for any newcomers to Ullswater watch out for hazard marking red buoys that look like moorings near the outward bound centre on the opposite bank to Howtown. The rock I hit on my maiden voyage in the week before the rally last year was somewhere near 54deg 34' 46"N 21deg 52' 20" W according to the cursor on Google Earth.
Rory