Author Topic: CLH trailer winch post failure  (Read 3448 times)

jonno

CLH trailer winch post failure
« on: 24 Sep 2017, 21:20 »
Well, the title says it all really.  Recovering my BR20 a couple of days ago, the trailer winch post failed.  I didn't feel I was putting a huge amount of tension through the winch: Ella seemed to be coming up onto the rollers relatively easily.  So I guess the fracture may have occurred earlier.

We were on a reservoir in benign conditions so got off lightly.  Better there than on the sea or road.

This problem has been aired on an earlier thread.  Is this the fourth time a CLH trailer has failed at this point?  Mine is 2010/2011 vintage.

Wave Sweeper

Re: CLH trailer winch post failure
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2017, 11:33 »
I think you are right about four cases - that have been mentioned on the forum at least - there may be more. The good news is that it is relatively easily fixed if you know someone who can weld it properly. Mine looked as if it had never been welded adequately in the first place. I also got an additional piece welded in to add strength. Inadequate design in my view.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2017, 11:07 »
I fitted an electric winch to Vagabond's trailer. This gave me ample opportunity to watch the distortions of both the winch post and the trailer frame when the winch was working (beforehand I was concentrating on the effort required!).

On "switch on" to haul in Vagabond, the tension in the cable was sufficient to move the top of the winch post about 3/4 of an inch towards the boat bending the main "spine" square tube of the trailer . So there's clearly considerable stress at the bottom of the post (several years ago  I could have calculated it - using my trusty slide rule  - sadly that skill now eludes me).

It makes you wonder how much the trailer distorts during a tow, even though CLH trailers seem a bit "agricultural".
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2017, 14:05 »
CLH trailers seem a bit "agricultural".

How true!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III