Author Topic: Cadenza's (relatively) new dress  (Read 10131 times)

Michael Rogers

Cadenza's (relatively) new dress
« on: 08 Nov 2010, 12:16 »
Having 1) mentioned junk rig on one or two occasions since my 'conversion' in late 2009; 2) belatedly learned (I hope) how to attach a photo to a posting; 3) acquired, at last, some action pics  of Cadenza's new rig - herewith (below) please find the coming together of Nick Newland's beautiful design and the centuries-old wisdom of the Chinese (as westernised by Hasler and others). The occasion was the Welsh Rally of the JRA at Caernafon in September.

The new rig has fulfilled my expectations, and then some. Sailing performance is as good as ever, and better downwind. Reefing is a doddle. In every respect - the mast, the sail, the rigging, the hull, the sailor - junk rig is low stress and such fun.

So that my next announcement may cause surprise, and I'd better explain. Although I am in good health and still pretty lively, it has occurred to me quite recently that my sailing seasons are numbered and will not go on for 'ever': indeed another 15 would take me into my late eighties. It would therefore be sensible to plan and act now to optimise the rest of my sailing career. Although I love her dearly, as one does with boats, I don't think Cadenza will suit me much longer. I was going to say that she is becoming too feisty: it would be fairer to say that my feistiness is diminishing, and no longer matches hers. She is quite a handful, and some leaping around a not-very-ergonomically-placed dagger board case is needed in anything more than lightish winds (my excursion into DIY water ballasting, described elsewhere, has helped in this respect).

I therefore plan to build a somewhat more 'staid' boat this winter, to take me into my sailing dotage. This is an exciting project. After lots of thought, I think it will be a Trouper 12, which should suit my needs very well. She will, needless to say, be junk rigged!

Financial and other practical (eg storage space) considerations make it probable that all this will mean parting with Cadenza, which will, to put it mildly, be a wrench. There is a lot of 'me' built into that little boat. I will advertise in due course, here and elsewhere, but meanwhile if anyone knows or hears of a possible purchaser, please let me know. The quality of the new home will be just as important as the financial aspect.