Swallow Yachts Forum > General Discussion

Contributing to the web site

<< < (2/14) > >>

Julian Swindell:
Thanks for posting that Jonathan, that was the video I was trying to embed. I had done all you suggested, plus a couple of other tricks I have used in the past. It all seemed to work. It was only when I saved the page that all of the embedded items seemed to simply disappear. I'll try another insertion shortly and see if it has been sorted now.

Jonathan Stuart:
Thanks Julian. Your page got me thinking that perhaps we should aim to have a page for each boat model and eventually have those under the "The Boats" menu rather than in the library. Something like an owner's view perspective on each boat covering, say, what it is, what's good, what you'd change, how the boat has been used, alternative boats, etc. What do you think?

Julian Swindell:
I think that could be very good. It is impossible to categorise everything perfectly. What seems a logical location to one person seems irrational to another.
I have done a further page with photos and they seem to have stayed in place. what I did notice is that I can't add to the existing page, which is what I wanted to do, only create a new one. Am I missing something, or is that something that could be added?

Jonathan Stuart:
You should be able to edit all existing pages in the Library regardless of who created them. That is the intention anyway! When you are on a page that you can edit you should see the "Edit" buttons that are circled in red in the attached screenshot. Do you not have those buttons? I have checked with my test user (which should have the same permissions as you) and that can edit your page so before I investigate further can you double check whether those buttons exist for you?

Michael Rogers:
Jonathan

1) Following my whingey post above, I told myself to get a grip on myself, and had a go at editing my junk rig bit for the library. And I surprised myself: on Pages (Mac version of Word) I got the whole thing set up, layout, photos dragged into the right points in the text, right size etc - - bootiful. However, when I tried to transfer the whole thing across to the Library, the layout went awry, the pics disappeared. I did my best with the layout (again!) and when I tried to bring the pics back, all I got was a funny line of tecno-text - would that be enough for you, or some other magician, to reconstitute them?
It's actually quite embarrassing to display my IT ineptitude in semi-public on the forum, and not fair to expect you to try and sort me out. So I'm going to abandon my attempt. All the stuff I was using is there in the forum anyway.

2) As I'm clearly not going to be contributing to the library, it's probably not appropriate for me to make the following observation. However....I find the 'anyone can edit anything, written by themselves or anyone else, anytime' idea very strange. Didn't Wikipedia do this in the early days, and abandon it? I can categorically say that I would not like anything I contributed to be edited by anyone else, at the very least without prior consultation with me. (I wouldn't at all mind you, as administrator, doing some editing - that's different.) Am I being some sort of fogey (I'm all other sorts of fogey already)?

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version