Author Topic: Lake Bala Rally 15/16 June  (Read 41517 times)

Tony

Re: Lake Bala Rally 15/16 June
« Reply #30 on: 23 Mar 2013, 16:43 »
Yeah.... I'm on commission. (I wish....! )

I'm with you about the Herreshoff 12 1/2. Very pretty and by all accounts very nice to sail, too....but an all round trailer sailer?
Read:-
http://www.artisanboatworks.com/classic-designs/sailboats/herreshoff-12-12

I'd stick with a BayRaider.  Try launching the Hereshoff off a beach! It's designed (beautifully) for a different market.

How many boats signed up for Bala so far ?   

Please note:
 I am not bringing apres-sail beer for everyone! No. Not even with a whole penny a pint off.

("Arr! Thank ee Guv'nor!" He said, tugging his rude, North Country forelock as he reigned in his whippets.  "A Budget tax-break for us, just like them millionaire fellas in the big city!")

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 23 Mar 2013, 17:46 »
How many boats signed up for Bala so far ?   

Eleven boat skippers have expressed an interest.  If the weather is forecast to be like in the 2009 rally, there will be more. Being a Manichean (and after last summer and this winter), my money's on there being fewer.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Michael Rogers

« Reply #32 on: 23 Mar 2013, 18:25 »
Tony, yes quite so, the Herreshof is a mini-keelboat. Although there is now, I believe, a centreboard derivative by an 'approved' sort of boat designer in the US, using some kind of more 'modern' boatbuilding techniques. In fact, wasn't someone about to start building one talking to us somewhere on the Forum? - had a look for it, couldn't find it (for goodness' sake my proclivity for not-being-able-to find-things now extends to the Forum). Thanks for the picture, which doesn't actually do justice to the sweet lines, especially the sheer.

The Bala Rally promises to be quite an event - not only sailing and beer talk, but abstruse philosophical concepts to be bandied about. What, Graham, is a Manichean when he's at home? Please, however, do not assume that I have any tendency towards floccipaucinihilipilification just because I don't know what you're talking about.

Michael

Matthew P

« Reply #33 on: 23 Mar 2013, 18:43 »
If we are still looking for a pub serving substantial portions, interesting local beer and sympathetic to muddy dogs and scruffy (but genteel) folk can I suggest  the Bryntirio Inn?  It is 5 miles (10 mins drive) from Bala Sailing Club and it is homely rather than posh.  They also have a  dining room which may suit us.  See www.bryntirioinn.co.uk.

Matthew 
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 23 Mar 2013, 18:58 »
What, Graham, is a Manichean when he's at home?

Technically, a follower of a dualist religious sect that finally died out in 14th century China and thus no longer at home.  These days, people who see things, including (or especially) the weather, in black & white.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 23 Mar 2013, 19:00 »
If we are still looking for a pub serving substantial portions, interesting local beer and sympathetic to muddy dogs and scruffy (but genteel) folk can I suggest  the Bryntirio Inn?  It is 5 miles (10 mins drive) from Bala Sailing Club and it is homely rather than posh.  They also have a  dining room which may suit us.  See www.bryntirioinn.co.uk.

Matthew

Looks better and is a smidgeon closer than Eagles. Good suggestion. The link is http://www.bryntirioninn.co.uk/
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 01 Apr 2013, 19:24 »
Bryntirion Inn have said that they would be happy to look after us for supper on Saturday evening but because we are a big group, they would like us either to be early (6pm) or late (8.30 pm).  I think 6pm is much too early (difficult to imagine, but the sun will still be high in the sky) so I suggest that we ask for the 8.30pm slot.  Anybody disagree?
Graham

Michael Rogers

« Reply #37 on: 02 Apr 2013, 23:10 »
8.30 is fine - go for it.
Michael

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 03 Apr 2013, 09:48 »
Done.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 21 Apr 2013, 11:32 »
The four pontoon spaces for boat sleepovers are now taken.  Matt has got special dispensation to bring his BC23, which is 3ft longer than lake regulations allow.  Outboards are not allowed, so it will be interesting to see him trying to row it off the pontoon. I think the rest of us will have difficulty keeping up with him under sail.

I had my first sail of the year (finally!) on Lake Bala yesterday.  The lake temperature was 5°C and the air temperature not much higher, with pockets of snow still visible up in the mountains. Wind was up to F5 apparent from the SW, being funneled between the steep sides of the lake.  There were several other boats out, including a possible Swallow Boat with cream sails in the far distance at the NE end of the lake. 

I tried out my new plank bowsprit and conventionally-rigged foresail on the lake for the first time.  It was totally unscientific (I couldn't get my GPS to work) but I got the impression that I was travelling quite a bit faster through the water on most points of sail than with the self-tacking jib but that I couldn't point quite as high, particularly on the starboard tack for some reason.  And is it my imagination or are Hyde sails of better quality than the Dolphin-made ones? BRe's all seem to come with Hyde sails, so perhaps they are now the standard clothing for all Swallow Boats.
Graham

John & Isla Roberts

« Reply #40 on: 21 Apr 2013, 14:55 »
Hi Graham W
The BR20 you saw on Lake Bala was US!. We have been members of the club since 2011 and have been sailing our BR since then. We were sitting in the clubhouse having a cuppa when your boat hove into view and we wondered who you were. Where did you launch from? Also, found out about the rally yesterday (20th April) and will do our best to be there.
Look forward to hearing more.
John Roberts

david

« Reply #41 on: 21 Apr 2013, 21:04 »
Hi Graham,
                  Glad to see you got out sailing. Sounds cold. Your bow sprit looks good. How did you secure to the bow? Did the yard do this for you? I am looking forward to a picture of you sailing with the flying jib.
   Here is a video from yesterday of me out sailing. Got to love the weather in Southern California. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQU6r8VA0oI

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 21 Apr 2013, 22:19 »
David,

We mostly have to go abroad for weather like that, except sometimes.

The plank bowsprit (yard produced) is secured at the aft end by an M10 bolt through a new stout wooden anchor point on the foredeck. It slips over the existing steel fittings at the top of the stemhead and is then held down at the forward end by a wire bobstay running back down to the winching eye. The bow fairleads have been relocated slightly, otherwise they would be in the way. 

The bowsprit is really solid and I reckon it can cope with much more than the carbon spinnaker pole. I now have the choice of flying the standard self-tacking jib or the new conventionally-rigged jib, as well as the flying jib or the asymmetric.

I was hoping to rig the flying jib yesterday but it ended up far too windy. Even with a first reef in the mainsail, I still managed to dip the gunwale. Back on topic, I'll have another go on Lake Bala when the next wave of bad weather has passed over.  Don't hold your breath!
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 21 Apr 2013, 23:07 »
Hi Graham W
The BR20 you saw on Lake Bala was US!. We have been members of the club since 2011 and have been sailing our BR since then. We were sitting in the clubhouse having a cuppa when your boat hove into view and we wondered who you were. Where did you launch from? Also, found out about the rally yesterday (20th April) and will do our best to be there.
Look forward to hearing more.
John Roberts

John,

I thought it looked like a BR but it was a long way away and by the time I had had lunch and sailed to the other end of the lake, you had gone. I launched off the public slipway opposite the boat club.

Welcome to the rally!
Graham

Reg Barker

« Reply #44 on: 29 Apr 2013, 18:16 »
Hi
I wish to make the Bala meet 15/16 June.  I hope there is still room.  My boat was land-locked until just recently when my farmer friend dug out the drive with his JCB. I used the boat for the first time on the river Avon just north of Tewkesbury - not very successful due to the width of river and wind direction.  I hope to take it to Brixham this weekend to get some training in, weather permitting.  All this before I tackle the Caledonian Canal raid end of May.  I ordered a set of oars; goodness knows how I am going stow them on BRe! After rigging and sorting it all out I feel I am a complete novice again. It must be because it’s my very own boat.

Reg (Alice Amy BRe )
BRe #11 Alice Amy