Author Topic: Inflatable dinghy as tender for Baycruiser  (Read 35762 times)

Julian Swindell

Re: Inflatable dinghy as tender for Baycruiser
« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2014, 19:35 »
I could store my inflatable in my cockpit locker, but it was an unusually small one, quite a bit narrower than any branded ones I have seen. I bought it off a dealer at a boat jumble, and I have never seen one like it before or since. I think a small, conventionally sized, "soft tailed" inflatable would stow, but I don't think I could get a normal sized transomed one in.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2014, 21:10 »
My 3D SL230 definitely fits in my BR20 locker but then there's no space for anything else.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Tony

« Reply #17 on: 18 Sep 2014, 18:48 »
Hi, Graham.
If people don't want to go down the "rubber ring tow-able inflatable" route they are not going to find anything much lighter than the 3D SL230, unless its the 3D SL200 (12kg ?) which I have not found illustrated anywhere.
There are things like this:-
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sevylor-Fish-Hunter-Inflatable-Boat/dp/B00I3EKWNA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1PQPBGZHMW8KBNCEPKPD

but they weigh nearly as much as the 3D dinghy - and I wouldn't trust a fish hook anywhere near 'em let alone store them in a locker and expect them to be OK!

A quick scan of the Boatshow revealed nothing better.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2014, 21:41 »
3D weren't there as far as I could see. 

This inflatable caught my eye - I think you would stand a sporting chance of outrunning the faster Greek coastguards.  I'm not sure about having to wear a crash helmet though. And it wouldn't fit in the locker.
Graham

Tony

« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2014, 21:08 »
Whoa! That is one BAD rib!

D'you think they use the rubber ring as a tender?

Peter Taylor

« Reply #20 on: 20 Sep 2014, 14:46 »
Marine Super Store had 3D dinghies at the Boat Show and said they were selling like hot cakes - in fact most sizes were sold out. They looked similar in almost every way (except colour) to the Excel SL that I have - all the fittings, way the seat is mounted, etc. One difference, they didn't have the thick rubbing strip which the Excel has, probably making them even lighter and less bulky. They did feel lighter than my Excel to the extent that I could guess, and they are certainly lighter if you believe the specs. For a "proper" inflatable they do seem the lightest going.

Packed on shore, my SL20 would fit in the cockpit locker but it would more or less fill it. No space for fuel tank, etc. Having used it I think it would be a struggle (impossible?) to pack it well enough while onboard Seatern to be able to get it back in the locker.

Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Tony

« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2014, 17:12 »
Perhaps we should forget inflatables and go back to basics.
A folding coracle (carbon fibre and Hypalon ?) may not be such a bad idea....

Julian Swindell

« Reply #22 on: 21 Sep 2014, 17:41 »
I saw a Plastimo one man inflatable at the Boat show, which would almost certainly fit into a locker, but it was strictly one man. I also saw this rather intriguing one on the Piplers stand, with a tiny transom. It should pack up small, but has a separate inflatable floor, which may be a nuisance.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

david

« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2014, 18:04 »
Question for you. Has anyone tried this inflatable, or something like it?
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-Inflatable-Deluxe-Package/dp/B000SL0A56

They have a number of models to choose from. Any bias towards the "boat" kind? Or, have these inflatables proven to be unreliable or tippy? I have seen, but not tried these. They seemed to handle well.
 The storage in a locker is also a concern. My thought was to push this forward under the fiberglass thing-e-mebob that is in the BayRaider, while cruising and inflating once at the anchorage.
 Not having any experience with camping in the BayRaider, I will defer to those with knowledge.

David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 23 Sep 2014, 13:07 »
Here's a photo of my boys having fun in a storm on Lake Michigan ten years ago.  The inflatable is a Stearns IK150SB (which I think is no longer made) and it looks to be quite a bit wider than the Sea Eagle.  It's fairly stable although they did get tipped in by breakers once or twice. See the second photo of the underside.

It's not exactly light (about 45lb/20kg) but very robust and is still going strong.  I think the main issue is getting in and out without tipping it over, so the wider the better if possible.  You may not have a problem but less experienced crew might, which is why I have a dinghy.
Graham

Brian Robertson

« Reply #25 on: 23 Sep 2014, 22:28 »
Marine Super Store had 3D dinghies at the Boat Show and said they were selling like hot cakes - in fact most sizes were sold out.

I have had a 3D Xpro Twin Air (AirDeck) for a couple of seasons now and I am really happy with it.  Really light and compact, very well built and very quick to inflate and deflate.
BC20 #05 Amy Pearl

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 26 Sep 2014, 09:56 »
In a fit of DIY enthusiasm, I once bought the plans for a Fliptail self-build folding boat from these people http://www.woodenwidget.com/index.html

Luckily and after making a realistic assessment of my DIY skills, common sense prevailed and I bought my 3D inflatable.  However, some people might find the idea of a cheap, folding and lightweight (15kg) dinghy interesting.  They have several different plans, some of which (the boat not the plans) might even fit into a BR locker or down the side of the centreboard.

Given the amount of faffing about involved in inflating and deflating a dinghy, I don't think I would want to attempt the deflation bit on board.  So on the whole, once my 3D is inflated it stays that way and if necessary is towed behind my BR.  However, because it is so light when empty, it does tend to flip in strong winds. Quite often, it will flip back again without any need for intervention.  It tows quite well upside down!

The certification plate on the 3D transom states that tubes should be inflated to 0.25 Bar (4psi).  However and according to Seamark Nunn, who have it direct from the manufacturers, the floor should be inflated to 0.7 Bar (10psi).  Not many people know that....
Graham

Tony

« Reply #27 on: 05 Oct 2014, 00:40 »
Hi, Graham.
I like the look of the Wooden Widget designs. Nearest thing yet to a modern coracle!
Storing a six foot version in my cabin might just be do-able and perhaps as easy to live with as an inflatable when you take all that pumping into account!
On the backpacking principle that everything you carry has to earn its keep, perhaps an inverted dinghy could be pressed into service as a rain shelter over the back of the cockpit ( when moored up. ) worth a though, perhaps.

Bill Rollo

« Reply #28 on: 01 Sep 2015, 13:00 »
Peter,

I wondered how you have got on with the Seahawk over the summer?

Best wishes

Bill

David Hudson

« Reply #29 on: 04 Sep 2015, 11:58 »
Just bought a WavEco 1.85m Roundtail Inflatable Dinghy.

After almost skinning my knees, my first job was to remove the seating thwart. Rustie and I are now able to sit and row, (me), comfortably on the dinghy sole.

My human crew is 6ft 3ins and we sit as we might in a large bath, (don't tell our wives), and rowing again is very easy.

I would not like to store or inflate it on board Amy E.. but it is light enough to carry on my shoulder some 100 or more yards from the Club storage to the water.
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)