Author Topic: Inflatable dinghy as tender for Baycruiser  (Read 35767 times)

Rob Johnstone

Re: Inflatable dinghy as tender for Baycruiser
« Reply #45 on: 26 Apr 2017, 18:23 »
Hi there,

When Vagabond was commissioned I couldn't find a dinghy that would fit into one of the lockers - air floor ones were too expensive so the one I chose had wooden slats for the floor. These were too long to fit in either cockpit locker. When deflated, Doris (the dinghy) slumps on the fore deck between the Samson post and the cabin, secured to 4 D rings fitted there for that purpose. I find it easier to inflate and deflate her on the fore deck too, rather than manhandle her down the length of the boat.

The dinghy seems to have survived this treatment remarkable well over the four seasons I've had her - more than can be said of the carry bag provided. This was little used, it being extremely difficult to persuade a deflated Doris to fit inside it, so is only used between seasons. None the less, the handles tore off at the end of the first season and the rest of it is showing signs of falling apart.

I can't remember the model of dinghy but, judging by the pictures on the Force 4 web site, I think it was a Windward 230SL.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Matthew P

« Reply #46 on: 15 Mar 2021, 17:37 »
Just come across this on the Off Centre Harbour website.

https://kokopelli.com/collections/all-boats/products/rogue-lite

Looks a bit minimalist but might do for mooring and anchor-setting operations in sheltered water. 

Getting in and out of it might be a challenge.  I think I'll stick to wearing a dry suit - about the same cost and a lot more versatile.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

graham2burton65@gmail.com

« Reply #47 on: 15 Mar 2021, 19:13 »

having read ever ones thoughts,
my conclusion would be to go for a 3D superlight but to choose the round tail version.
This should avoid a little bulk and maybe a kilo of weight.

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/tenders-accessories/tenders/3d-superlight-tender-twin-round-tail

I often sail with Jane and its good to have somewhere for her to sit aft that is not a transom.  One of us is generally rowing, we dislike outboards and its not really feasible on our BC20

The 2m version is quoted as 9.2kg in white or black....
I've not yet paid the money...

2m or 2.3m.... for for 2 people for very sheltered waters??  I am inclined to go for 2m

kind regards
Graham B

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #48 on: 16 Mar 2021, 10:11 »
Roger Barnes (President, Dinghy Cruising Association) uses a toy inflatable dinghy with his boat.  Anything from 3D is preferable to that, if (unlike him) you have the space.  I’ve got a 3D Twin Air 230, which allows me to mount my eProp outboard on its transom.  It feels safe and stable with two aboard and rows really well.  Because it’s light (13.8kg), you can come back to your mooring on a windy day to find that it’s flipped over but it’s easy to right again.  I carry mine on my back when ashore, looking like a giant turtle.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

mark1

« Reply #49 on: 16 Mar 2021, 12:25 »
Just come across this on the Off Centre Harbour website.

https://kokopelli.com/collections/all-boats/products/rogue-lite

Looks a bit minimalist but might do for mooring and anchor-setting operations in sheltered water. 

Getting in and out of it might be a challenge.  I think I'll stick to wearing a dry suit - about the same cost and a lot more versatile.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Matthew, if you're going down the superlight route Backcountry Rafting (in Aviemore, Scotland) sell Alpacka packrafts, which though quite pricey might be worth a look. They once showed me a superlight one person raft that rolled up to not much more than a can of beans size, but you can choose the weight to suit your strength and durability needs.
Mark.

jonno

« Reply #50 on: 16 Mar 2021, 12:30 »
I think I'll stick to wearing a dry suit - about the same cost and a lot more versatile.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
[/quote]

Would you expand on this left field idea please Matthew?  I can see that a dry suit might be more versatile than an inflatable.  But do you swim ashore from your mooring?

John

Matthew P

« Reply #51 on: 16 Mar 2021, 13:22 »
do you swim ashore from your mooring?

I usually am able to wade but I admit I have a morphological advantage. 

It is possible to swim, slowly.  Of course it's important to vent air from the dry suit and wear a buoyancy aid to avoid feet-up drowning.  And, the same as all small inflatables, avoid currents or dangerous water.  Just saying.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys, a large red dry-suit and other small craft.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #52 on: 16 Mar 2021, 13:30 »
Matthew,

Do you wear a dinner suit underneath, like James Bond?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

« Reply #53 on: 16 Mar 2021, 13:49 »
Matthew,

Do you wear a dinner suit underneath, like James Bond?

Only if I'm invited to dinner on Turaco.

Matthew

PYoung

« Reply #54 on: 17 Mar 2021, 16:27 »
Now I have built a proper wooden dinghy which I tow if I want it, or leave behind if I don't.

Julian,

I am interested in building my own tender. What kind of dinghy did you build? Was it kit form?

graham2burton65@gmail.com

« Reply #55 on: 17 Mar 2021, 19:41 »

I think the prettiest, smallest option for a self build dinghy is ......

https://tidebytide.com/technical-stuff-2/iain-oughtred-feather-pram-detailed-feedback-for-other-builders/

I will see how I get on with the 3D superlight and probably build next winter

Martijn

« Reply #56 on: 18 Mar 2021, 09:30 »
Getting off-topic here, but my daughter and I have just started building a dinghy as described in "Bagging the gull in https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wooden-Boats-You-Can-Build/dp/0937822345
It's a cold moulded dinghy, and should be very lightweight. What attracted me most was the fact that it has no internal structural members (apart from the seats), so it is very easy in terms of maintenance.
Most of the time goes into making the mould. Once finished the actual building of the boat from 2 laminated halves should be very quick. At least that's what the book promises :)
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"