Author Topic: Inflatable dinghy as tender for Baycruiser  (Read 35708 times)

Peter Taylor

Re: Inflatable dinghy as tender for Baycruiser
« Reply #30 on: 05 Sep 2015, 05:52 »
Peter,
I wondered how you have got on with the Seahawk over the summer?
Can't say because I haven't used it!  I seem to have generally settled into doing long day sails (at least when the weather allows), and not going ashore.  When I might have used a dinghy during a couple of days spent in Chichester Harbour, the currents at the anchorages were such that I would not have trusted my rowing to get me back to Seatern.  Had I wanted to go ashore I would have beached Seatern rather than trust to a dinghy. Nowadays I don't even carry a dinghy.  However if I was going somewhere with creeks to explore* I might tow my Excel inflatable which, being heavier than the Seahawk, should tow better. However I would not contemplate inflating nor deflating it aboard Seatern - just not enough room!
Peter

* a couple of days ago I motored up the River Medina on the IoW in Seatern and had to turn back when the water depth on the echo sounder decreased to 30cm!  On the other hand, rowing in shallow water is hard work too!
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Bill Rollo

« Reply #31 on: 05 Sep 2015, 09:19 »
Peter

Many thanks. My ideal is something I can carry on the BR20, whether in a locker or in the forepeak, and can use to nose round an anchorage or get ashore. Inflation/Deflation on the boat is a requirement. 

I have read of a Colorado inflatable canoe being used in exactly this way from a Drascombe longboat. There are obvious stowage points, as well as getting in and out and efficiency in the water. I think I need to borrow one and try it!

Bill

Matthew P

« Reply #32 on: 05 Sep 2015, 10:40 »
I have a Stearns Backcountry canoe for just the purposes you describe Bill.

Within limitations it does the job:
- Can carry 2 hefty blokes (not the kids in the photo)
- Quite fun to paddle and quicker than a tubby inflatable boat - less windage, more efficient paddles
- Paddle facing forwards not rowing facing back
- I can get in and out of it from Gladys but depends on personal agility.  Kids have no problem.
- Reasonably stable but I would not trust stability or handling in really rough conditions
- Tows behind Gladys without much hindrance or fuss
- Kids enjoy being towed in it, which is how it is used mostly
- Weighs 20Kg
- Tightly folded it can be crammed into a BR20 (Glassfibre) side locker or under the forepeak.
- Inflating by hand on land takes about 10mins, in the boat it would be hard to do while sailing but at anchor, especially with an electric airpump (cheap airbed inflator) should make it manageable   
- Reasonably robust materials but can be punctured - and repaired.  It has a tough nylon skin containing less robust air-bladders. 
- drying it completely (I would not bother while on a trip) requires extracting the deflated air-bladders and then re-assembling after.

Full spec and reviews worth reading at:

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns%C2%AE-Back-Country-Inflatable-Canoe/dp/B000HT0GNU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

This Youtube video is obviously a sales pitch but gives a good idea of capability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLQ5kShEv14

You are welcome to borrow it if our paths cross - will you be at Plymouth next week? I'll need to know before Sunday and Graham will need to agree to transport it.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Bill Rollo

« Reply #33 on: 06 Sep 2015, 12:14 »
Matthew

thanks very much - looks exactly what I want to look at. Sadly I won't be at Plymouth. May have to be next year!

Best wishes

Bill

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 06 Sep 2015, 17:57 »
Turaco IV, a 3D 230, is shown undergoing sea trials below.  She failed due to a manufacturing defect in the front tube and had to be replaced by the supplier. The fish weren't impressed.

She weighs 14.5kg, is easy to row, can take a small outboard and carry three people at a pinch.  She can just about be shoehorned into a BR20 locker, folding down into a larger package (98cm x 48cm x 28cm) than the Stearns canoe.  She's best inflated and deflated with a 12V electric pump.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Bill Rollo

« Reply #35 on: 06 Sep 2015, 23:05 »
Graham

thanks. Sea trials look impressive! I'll try and have a look at one at Southampton. Who supplied it?

Bill

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 06 Sep 2015, 23:14 »
Bill,

I wouldn't recommend the supplier that I bought it from - they took far too long to replace the faulty one.  For about £20 more, I should have got it from the ever reliable Seamark Nunn, who I think are the principal UK distributors.
Graham

Peter Taylor

« Reply #37 on: 07 Sep 2015, 06:19 »
At 20kg the Stearns canoe is similar to my Excel SL200 dinghy - which is heavier than what they advertise.  When I got it I had not heard of the 3D inflatables which were then newly available.  If I wanted a dinghy now I'd get a 3D - 5kg less weight and 50cm longer is a big advantage - and try negotiating a price at the Boat Show (with one of the reliable suppliers)!
Peter
Peter Taylor

Bill Rollo

« Reply #38 on: 07 Sep 2015, 19:45 »
Graham and Peter

thanks. All very helpful.

Bill

Julian and Karen

« Reply #39 on: 10 Apr 2017, 22:01 »
Looking for a tender for our BC23 (in build atm!).  Your twin air sounds interesting - what size do you have?  And 2 years down the line are you just as positive about it?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 11 Apr 2017, 09:08 »
My 3D Twin Air is the 230, which can carry three but is better with two.  It's remarkable that such a large dinghy can be carried by one person - if I'm moving it up the beach above the HW mark, I carry it on my back like a turtle shell.  The downside of such lightness is that it can flip on its mooring if the winds are strong enough.  It's easy to flip back the right way and as the thwart and oars are securely fixed to the boat, they stay put.
I originally used it with a small outboard motor but the oars are almost as speedy and much more convenient, not to mention reliable.  I inflate and deflate it with a 12V electric air pump (incorporating a pressure gauge) which I wouldn't be without.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to deflate fully and pack down to its original small size without the help of the pump.

Just to reiterate, buy it from a reliable distributor, even if it is a bit more expensive.  I didn't and regretted it when trying to get a faulty boat replaced.
Graham

Julian and Karen

« Reply #41 on: 16 Apr 2017, 11:31 »
Many thanks - we are wondering if the next size up might also fit in the locker - as it is only £30 more - the difference is supposed to be 8cm on the length and 3cm on the width of the packed bag?
SUPERLIGHT TWIN AIR 230
Dimensions (Length * width) 2.3 X 1.34
Folded bag (length x width x height): 0.90x0.45x0.28
Weight 13.8kg
PirateCave - £509 in black
SUPERLIGHT TWIN AIR 250
Dimensions (Length * width) 2.5 X 1.35
Folded bag (length x width x height): 0.98x0.48x0.28
Weight 14.5kg
PirateCave - £539

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 17 Apr 2017, 13:19 »
I haven't tried to squeeze my 3D 230 dinghy into a BR20 locker since I put large rubber seals around the locker rims to stop the lockers from flooding every time I dip a gunwale under the water.  I think even the 3D 230 might now be a squeeze, as I have measured the shorter gap from locker rim to rim at only 28cm.  You then have to manoeuvre 45cm through that gap to the inside of the locker. 

On the whole, when I have it with me my tender is either inflated and towed behind the boat or packed and stowed somewhat clumsily in the cockpit sole, in the gap between the locker and centreboard case.

A BC23 may have more available space in its lockers but a BC23 owner or the yard need to answer that one.
Graham

Julian and Karen

« Reply #43 on: 23 Apr 2017, 19:56 »
Thanks Graham.

We've asked Matt and he's pretty confident about the 230 fitting in, but not sure about the 250 - we're going to take a mock-up package of these dimensions when we visit some time over the next few weeks while the boat is being built. 

Will report back then.

Peter Taylor

« Reply #44 on: 24 Apr 2017, 06:08 »
Hi Julian and Karen,
Something to bear in mind is what size you can easily get the dinghy down to when you have used it for real! How that compares with the packing dimensions given by the dinghy manufacturer probably varies from company to company. I don't get my Excel dinghy down to the specified size even when using a pump to try to remove the last bits of air - possibly it would if I worked at it (or had a vacuum chamber on board), but how long do you want to spend deflating your dinghy?

Try and find an owner who can tell you what the dinghy actually deflates to (possibly via the ybw forum) or an honest dealer who has inflated and then deflated one - maybe ask at Seamark Nunn if they know the real size it goes down to! Also bear in mind what else you want in the locker!

The other question is how much space is available in the cockpit for inflation/deflation. That was the main problem for me with the Excel SL200 which caused me to look for an alternative. Obviously you have more space on a BC23 than my BC20 but you are also looking at larger dinghies!

Peter

Peter Taylor